• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are sand paper perches bad?

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
I'm concerned about their nails getting too long.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
Shawna, I have a couple of the natural perches in their cage now. I'm just looking for a way to keep them from going thru the trauma of beak or nail trimming. They are Linnies.❤

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Natural perches help with nails, that's why I mention it. How do you think they manage in the wild? ;)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
sand paper perches are like you standing on GLASS shards all day.

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
Shawna, I don't know! They are my babies and I'm trying to do what's best for them.

Laurie, I didn't know that.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sand paper and cement perches are very rough and abrasive. It can Bumblefoot, a real and potentially dangerous condition:

Bumblefoot appears in different stages:

• First Stage - Pink "calluses" appear. These abrasions to the lower surface of the foot feel hard and typically affect both feet. These "calluses" look like small pinkish or reddish areas or shiny patches that can show up on top as well as on the bottom of the feet.
    • They are most often caused by inappropriate perches - such as hard plastic or dowelling perches or rough, sandpaper covered perches - or by perching on the same surfaces for too long.
  • Second Stage - Sores / lesions: As the affected feet have lost their protective scales, bacteria (usually staphylococcus bacteria) on unclean perches or other surfaces the birds come in contact with result in an infection. The sores become redder and more inflamed. At this point, antibiotics are most likely needed, in addition to addressing the initial problem that caused the issue.
  • Third Stage - If the first and second stages aren't addressed, penetration may occur. The sores turn dark blue or black. Severe distortion of the foot and/or toes and permanent damage to the foot or feet occurs. Birds experience pain and discomfort, and they will be seen lifting up their feet to help relieve their discomfort. Birds become severely lame, and surgery (in addition to treating any underlying issues) is usually the only chance for a completely recovery.

Even if they do require a nail trim occasionally, it is as traumatic as you clipping your toenails, and is much better than potential health issues and uncomfortableness caused by inappropriate perches.

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
Goodness. No sandpaper for the boys. I know all about staph. I work in healthcare.