• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are green cheek conure louder than cockatiels??

CYNToronto

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charlie
I have two male cockatiels. The pearl is extremely quiet for some reason. I adopted him when he was already 7 years old, so I'm not sure why he never sings or he rarely makes a sound. The grey is as loud as I can imagine a cockatiel be. He screams when he can't see the pearl and he also screams when I hold him to work on him and take him away from his cage, he screams when he's flying, he makes noises while he's eating, he makes noises while he's stretching, he makes noises when something moves, he sings and whistles for hours every day sometimes while he's screaming.

loudest scream of cockatiel vs loudest scream of a green cheek conure rating from 1-10, what number would you give for each??

Also for frequency of when they make noises for the most vocal of the two, please do the same.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Cockatiels are generally quiet birds. I believe one on one a noisy gcc will out noise a cockatiel.
Not all GCC are quiet some are very vocal.

I'd guess 3 Cockatiel 5 GCC

If you have a male pearl with lots of pearls he most likely is a female as males lose the pearl when they grow up & look like reg males.
That would explain the quietness

CYNToronto

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charlie
Cockatiels are generally quiet birds. I believe one on one a noisy gcc will out noise a cockatiel.
Not all GCC are quiet some are very vocal.

I'd guess 3 Cockatiel 5 GCC

If you have a male pearl with lots of pearls he most likely is a female as males lose the pearl when they grow up & look like reg males.
That would explain the quietness
I didn't really understand the pearl part, but he was already seven years old when he was given to me, and the person did identify him as a "he". So I figured, if the bird never laid an egg for the first seven years of his life, he's a male.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I didn't really understand the pearl part, but he was already seven years old when he was given to me, and the person did identify him as a "he". So I figured, if the bird never laid an egg for the first seven years of his life, he's a male.
Many tiels are sexually dimorphic, so you can tell whether it's a male or female based on the patterning of the feathers/tail. Not all female tiels are egg-layers, and unless the person who gave you the tiel did a DNA test and knows for certain it's a male, I would think you have a female.

Conures are most certainly louder than tiels (tiels are not considered very loud in general). And it depends on the bird -- some conures are quieter, some are louder. I have three conures and they all enjoy screaming at times. My green cheek, I would rate her a 7 based on her loudness.

CYNToronto

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charlie
Many tiels are sexually dimorphic, so you can tell whether it's a male or female based on the patterning of the feathers/tail. Not all female tiels are egg-layers, and unless the person who gave you the tiel did a DNA test and knows for certain it's a male, I would think you have a female.
Really?? Cause he even sounds different than my grey. My grey has this shrill, piercing voice, and my pearl kind of has just a bland and quiet peep sound that he/she occasionally makes whenever he/she is really distressed. I always thought it's because he/she is old that he/she is quiet. So a seven year old male bird retains all the male characteristics of aggression, territorial behaviour, being vocal, energetic, etc.??

Pentameter

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lucy
I would say cockatiels, depending on if they're contact calling or not, range from 2-5 most of the time. You can hear them from outside a room, especially if they're calling to see where you are, but it's not shrill or likely to disturb neighbors. Green cheeks and other related conures are, I'd say, 3-7, maybe slightly louder. Again, it depends on the type of noise, but they are still conures (though not as shrill or shrieky as aratinga conures tend to be).

Blupogu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I never had cocktiels, but if you consider lovebird mine is 2/3, where as my gcc is around 7/8 easily.
And most importantly they keep on swacking......unless u keep them indoor where they cant contact call, once indoor they are 1/2.....

Reactions: con

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
I had a male Teil here for a while several years ago that I found in the yard he was definitely louder than any GCC I have met, he drove us insane. When I could not find his owner I found a good home for him with other teils.
On the other hand my childhood pet was a female teil and she was really quiet.

QBird

Jogging around the block
Obviously you may be lucky and get a quiet conure, I had a loud tiel and loud conure, Tiels have a higher pitch but the conure is still a high pitch compared to some other birds.
In general the conure will b e louder and enjoy the sound of it's own voice. Best analogy I can compare is with young children they get excited or do something and the volume control does not exist, then they can also talk from the moment they open their eyes until. they go to sleep. My MBC seemed to be programmed that way, if it wasn't screaming or chattering it was eating or destroying something :)