• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are cockatoos really as difficult to own as a lot of people say they are?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samccormack

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Scott
I didn't want a cockatoo at first because of how difficult they are supposed to be and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have issues from time to time but when I went looking for a parrot it just seemed that the cockatoos responded more favorably to me and I to them. I ultimately wanted a bird I could handle (as in touch) and cockatoos are the most at ease with that of any other type of parrot I've met. There are some that don't want nothing to do with strangers but most toos I meet melt as soon as they see me and want me to pet them, I can't explain it it's just been my personal experiences with dozens of different birds over the last 4 years.

For me it turned out that cockatoos weren't what I thought I wanted but they ended being the most compatible with my life and personality. This is why I think that anytime you can get exposed to as many different parrots as possible when looking for a new parrot pal and not get hung up on getting one particular type over another you've got a good chance of getting a good match. Of course you want to research the any type of parrot to find out if there are any potential big problems that would cause you to have to give them up later.

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
I didn't want a cockatoo at first because of how difficult they are supposed to be and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have issues from time to time but when I went looking for a parrot it just seemed that the cockatoos responded more favorably to me and I to them. I ultimately wanted a bird I could handle (as in touch) and cockatoos are the most at ease with that of any other type of parrot I've met. There are some that don't want nothing to do with strangers but most toos I meet melt as soon as they see me and want me to pet them, I can't explain it it's just been my personal experiences with dozens of different birds over the last 4 years.
I totally agree with what you're saying Scott, it's true. I've noticed this about related species and their particular reactions to me at first meetings. Almost all the Greys seem to be very interested in me and extremely friendly, Amazons come second, conures are generally interested whereas macaws, Pois and Pionus tend to be neutral families towards me. Cockatoos are aloof or don't want contact period. It could be the vibe I'm unintentionally giving off because parrots are empathic creatures or maybe they just 'know' I'm not a 'too person if that makes any sense. Funny thing is I don't necessarily consider myself a grey person either, but I get the most favorable first meeting responses from Greys. :shrug:

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I train all of my birds to have alone time (like I'm not in the house) for 4-6 hours per day, minimum. That way when I have kids and a job they'll do just fine. Actually, I learned to really do that because I was worried about neediness, and it struck me that if they get attention, great, but if they're trained to deal with day to day challenges like weird schedules they will adapt well.

I think you should consider a cape....I don't own one but if you have allergies cockatoos and greys should be last on your list.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I totally agree with what you're saying Scott, it's true. I've noticed this about related species and their particular reactions to me at first meetings. Almost all the Greys seem to be very interested in me and extremely friendly, Amazons come second, conures are generally interested whereas macaws, Pois and Pionus tend to be neutral families towards me. Cockatoos are aloof or don't want contact period. It could be the vibe I'm unintentionally giving off because parrots are empathic creatures or maybe they just 'know' I'm not a 'too person if that makes any sense. Funny thing is I don't necessarily consider myself a grey person either, but I get the most favorable first meeting responses from Greys. :shrug:
Like attracts like Titanis...they sense your intelligence!

hannahbird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Hannah
I don't own one but if you have allergies cockatoos and greys should be last on your list.
I don't know if I am allergic to them :shrug2: But I guess I will find out when I start volunteering :heart:

Zeb

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Zeb
Long Term......yes.

They are kind of like Tattoos. For one, they are permanent and stuck to you.

Also, it sounds cool at one point....but as the years go on...you start to think that maybe if you did it all over, you'd pass.

Very difficult to keep them happy over the years.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
I am a too person. I love to cuddle with my guys, even though Goofy just now hit me in the nose with a piece of paper I'd never trade my toos for anything. When we got the toos 11 yrs ago we had no clue what we were really getting in to. Both Jenni and I have allergies but I don't think the fids bother them. I also think if we'd buy an air purifier that would help even more.

We chose Kiwi and Strawberry. Goofy chose us and Jasmine was kind of thrust upon us. If you intend to purchase a hand raised baby it will most likely like everyone. But if you intend to adopt a fid from a shelter you may want to see who likes you. I'm planning on visiting the local shelter soon thinking of fostering a fid. They have a U2 that likes men right now that I hope likes me or that Timneh Grey. Not sure what we'd do if the Green-winged Macaw like us, with no Macaw experience a small house and dusty toos that is a lot to try and work around for a macaw.:hehe:

OldBirdLady1983

Real Name
Pickle
Give me 10 more Pionus over my Goffin Too! Love him but some days I want to have Cockatoo stew. Maybe thats why he is my husbands bird LOL! You have to have alot of patience to own a Cockatoo or a Macaw for that matter and good ear plugs LOL!

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Give me 10 more Pionus over my Goffin Too! Love him but some days I want to have Cockatoo stew. Maybe thats why he is my husbands bird LOL! You have to have alot of patience to own a Cockatoo or a Macaw for that matter and good ear plugs LOL!
I actually did buy my husband a big ol thing of ear plugs! He has to go to bed early to get up early and between our B&G Macaw and our Umbrella Cockatoo the noise in the house is deafening sometimes! The U2's scream is annoying, but the Macaw's scream actually hurts my ears and makes me wanna put him out on the street with a free sign :lol: (I'm just kidding, I would never do that to any of my babies)

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I was not kidding about the Cockatoo Stew LOL!
There were rumors a few years about a bad birdie bus coming to take away all the bad birdies. You might wanna look into that :rofl:

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Hannah if you volunteer at an avian rescue you can see all the different companions that are out there.

I have respritory problems and of course 2 of my birds chose me, one a G2 and the other a CAG so there is alot of cleaning involved; by the way my 3rd fid is a YCM so I have to be mindful of the dust for him.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I don't know if I am allergic to them :shrug2: But I guess I will find out when I start volunteering :heart:
Do you have dust allergies? You don't have to be allergic to them specifically but think ridiculously high amounts of dust. All the time!

OldBirdLady1983

Real Name
Pickle
My DH would be throwing me to the bus if he read my reply LOL!

There were rumors a few years about a bad birdie bus coming to take away all the bad birdies. You might wanna look into that :rofl:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
When you find it let me know! I've wanted a grey forever, but I was worried that with me being gone for 4 hours a day the birds would get lonely, etc. And they are so sensitive. I am just a worrier, so I worried that I would make this great bird into a feather plucking mess! But I think I am worrying too much?
If you get a grey from the right breeder you will not have a phobic bird. Mine has never plucked. Birds have come and gone (I fostered and would tame some down). Sam went along with it all! He was in love with me. He had his feathers trimmed before being fledged. At age 11 I let them grow out. At 14 he is flying. Maybe a little clumbsy on the landing but he manages. He is well adjusted, goes to other people.

Raise a too like a grey or a macaw or an amazon and you will be fine. It is all the hugging and loving on them that makes them so dependent. Now, they are clever birds so do see that they are kept occupied. Some males (M2 U2) can be a handful and have aggressive nature. Just know that and be prepared at hormone time. But large macaws can get that way also...had 2 girl B&G that would get that way. You just need to give them time and space.

The large tooz do seem to be wired a little different and can be a bit more needy so one needs to be prepared for that and they extremely loud calls they can make.

Peggy

GinnyWeasley

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
Does anyone have a lesser sulfer crested? From What I've observed, them and the rose breasted seem to be less high strung than the big guys.
Is that true? I love LSCs but I would never be able to deal with an M2... from what I've observed at bird stores at least.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
No all sulfur crested cockatoos are high strung :)

Sunnyside

Real Name
Janice
Does anyone have a lesser sulfer crested? From What I've observed, them and the rose breasted seem to be less high strung than the big guys.
Is that true? I love LSCs but I would never be able to deal with an M2... from what I've observed at bird stores at least.
I fostered one once. He was very aggressive and unpredictable but every bird is different but this one was VERY high strung. Here he is dancing....

Status
Not open for further replies.