• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

APPLE CIDER VINEGAR IN DRINKING WATER? YES OR NO?

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Does anyone add Apple Cider Vinegar to their parrotlet’s daily drinking water? If so how much and for how long? I’ve heard different opinions on this so I am not sure if I want to add it to Kai’s drinking water or not. Any input appreciated.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I think a lot of the claims are over exaggerated.

You don't need to add vinegar. It isn't harmful, but I don't see the point. I just stick to filtered water from the tap.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't use anything in the water, but change it in the morning and when I come home from work. They wouldn't drink it with vinegar because of the smell/taste

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Because budgies are prone to getting yeast growth in the GI tract I think it is important for them. Bigger birds with larger diameter crops can get food down better. As a prophylaxis I added ACV to drinking water once per month. The ratio is 2 tsp to 1 quart water. Once you have lost a budgie to this terrible, sometimes fatal condition you will want to do this. Why? It is not a cure for AGY but it will help slow down growth of yeast.

Last edited:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
At Gigi's first vet check she tested for a small amount of yeast in her droppings. Rather than an antibiotic we decided on ACV water. We retested after 3 weeks and she was clear. I now do this 1 week each month. She hasn't tested positive since then. She seems to like the ACV water. I'll notice that when I first put it in she will take a lot of drinks.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Once you have lost a budgie to this terrible, sometimes fatal condition you will want to do this. Why? It is not a cure for AGY but it will help "R" word growth of yeast.
How do you notice they have it?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
With my first budgie (the one that died) I noticed symptoms too late. He was having projectile vomiting, very wet and messy. With second budgie that got it I was on the lookout for symptoms. I noticed unusual jaw movements that looked like he was trying to adjust ear pressure. I took this budgie to the vet right away and sure enough there was yeast in the crop. Budgie was treated with amphotericin B for two weeks and re testing was negative. I stopped feeding fresh corn as this is difficult to digest for birds and humans. No further yeast in any budgies.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I stopped feeding fresh corn as this is difficult to digest for birds and humans. No further yeast in any budgies.
What kind of fresh corn did you feed them? Maize on the cob you mean?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You can do 15 ml to a liter of water (which is close to what @Lady Jane said) and offer it either a couple days a week, or some people offer it daily for a week out of every month. It is very useful for all fungal problems. Good practice.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Because budgies are prone to getting yeast growth in the GI tract I think it is important for them. Bigger birds with larger diameter crops can get food down better. As a prophylaxis I added ACV to drinking water once per month. The ratio is 2 tsp to 1 quart water. Once you have lost a budgie to this terrible, sometimes fatal condition you will want to do this. Why? It is not a cure for AGY but it will help slow down growth of yeast.
Thank you. I decided to add it to Kai's drinking water 1 week each month. As you suggested I add 2 tsps to a quart of water. There is no change in his water consumption.

Last edited:

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
You can do 15 ml to a liter of water (which is close to what @Lady Jane said) and offer it either a couple days a week, or some people offer it daily for a week out of every month. It is very useful for all fungal problems. Good practice.
Thank you for replying.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
At Gigi's first vet check she tested for a small amount of yeast in her droppings. Rather than an antibiotic we decided on ACV water. We retested after 3 weeks and she was clear. I now do this 1 week each month. She hasn't tested positive since then. She seems to like the ACV water. I'll notice that when I first put it in she will take a lot of drinks.
Thank you. I decided to add it to Kai's drinking water 1 week each month. I add 2 tsps to a quart of water. There is no change in his water consumption.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I don't use anything in the water, but change it in the morning and when I come home from work. They wouldn't drink it with vinegar because of the smell/taste
Thank you for your reply. I also change Kai’s water twice a day and sometimes more.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I think a lot of the claims are over exaggerated.

You don't need to add vinegar. It isn't harmful, but I don't see the point. I just stick to filtered water from the tap.
Thank you for your reply. I also use filtered water. We have so much chlorine in our water. Hate the taste.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I have read that it’s good for the bacteria in there stomachs, but only a little bit and if they don’t drink their water as much stop adding it.
Thank you for the information. I decided to add it to Kai’s drinking water according to Lady Jane’s ratios. There is no change in the amount of water Kai consumes.

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
This is an old thread, I know! But so much useful information in it.
I'm working at a rescue where they give it daily. I'm wondering though, some of them can also bath in it. Is that something to be careful about?