• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone with experience with travelling with a caique?

Leiura

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone.
In about 3-5 years I'm looking to adopt/buy another bird. I had a caique once upon a time and it's one of the birds I'm considering. But I never traveled with my last caique.
Anyone have any experience with travelling with these little guys/gals?
Every year my family likes to travel from OK to CA to visit my husband's family. We've done both car travel and by plane. We've also started to go on short camping/hiking trips during the warmer months and long walks about 3 times a week (5-10 miles).
I know caique's can be tempermental (I've experienced it first hand) so I wonder how travel affects them? I'd also like to take my bird camping and on walks. One of my favorite aspects of these little creatures is that they're fairly brave and bold so I'm thinking they might fit an active lifestyle? I'm not sure.

Anyways, any input would be appreciated!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Welcome!
My Joey hasn’t traveled much at all. Just a drive to the vet. ....
He gets car sick...:blink:

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I've taken my caique with me on several trips, both driving (3-4 hour drives) and in small private planes (3 hour flights). I've not taken him on a commercial flight, and probably wouldn't just because of the cost, hassle, and stress (I flew overseas with my cat and depleted my patience/willingness to travel commercially with pets). He did well for all the trips. He took it all in stride, and didn't mind being in his travel cage for a few days.

That being said, I only take my birds with me if I know I'll be gone for more than a few days. Otherwise, it's just easier and less stressful for everyone to keep them at home and have someone come by and check up on them every day.

Leiura

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for the input!! Of course, more input from other people would be great too!

I've taken my caique with me on several trips, both driving (3-4 hour drives) and in small private planes (3 hour flights). I've not taken him on a commercial flight, and probably wouldn't just because of the cost, hassle, and stress (I flew overseas with my cat and depleted my patience/willingness to travel commercially with pets). He did well for all the trips. He took it all in stride, and didn't mind being in his travel cage for a few days.

That being said, I only take my birds with me if I know I'll be gone for more than a few days. Otherwise, it's just easier and less stressful for everyone to keep them at home and have someone come by and check up on them every day.
I've never flown pets before but I figured I would look into it. When we visit the in-laws it's usually for a whole month so bringing the bird would be in its best interest. Especially if it's already bonded to the family. I just think leaving them in the care of a stranger would be detrimental to the birds happiness and trust. It's different for my cockatiel. My parents usually take care of him when we leave because he grew up with them and knows them.

I'd be interested in knowing what your experience was like going overseas with your cat though. I've only been overseas once and I don't foresee it becoming a regular occurrence in the future. (I get air sick real easy so I hate flying in general.) It's just nice to know other people's experience. :p

Welcome!
My Joey hasn’t traveled much at all. Just a drive to the vet. ....
He gets car sick...:blink:
LOL! I remember hearing that sometimes happens with birds because of how their eyes track (or something of that sort.)

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I'd be interested in knowing what your experience was like going overseas with your cat though. I've only been overseas once and I don't foresee it becoming a regular occurrence in the future. (I get air sick real easy so I hate flying in general.) It's just nice to know other people's experience. :p

I was moving from the US to the UK and took my cat with me. It was a headache for everyone involved and ultimately I spent more money on getting his veterinary certificates, clearances, and tickets than I spent getting myself over there. Since he was flying into the UK, he had to be flown in the cargo hold (UK policy) and I spent the majority of the trip fretting over him. I flew from a small local airport to Atlanta, where I had to pick him up and take a taxi to the cargo facility on the other side of the air field, get his ticket paid for and get him settled, before taking a taxi back to the airport and getting to my terminal for the international flight. I was stopped by TSA for having cat food in my carry-on (I had given him a few snacks during the layover), which slowed me down even more.

We both made it to the UK okay, but it was not an experience I would want to repeat unless absolutely necessary. :faint:

Leiura

Meeting neighbors
I was moving from the US to the UK and took my cat with me. It was a headache for everyone involved and ultimately I spent more money on getting his veterinary certificates, clearances, and tickets than I spent getting myself over there. Since he was flying into the UK, he had to be flown in the cargo hold (UK policy) and I spent the majority of the trip fretting over him. I flew from a small local airport to Atlanta, where I had to pick him up and take a taxi to the cargo facility on the other side of the air field, get his ticket paid for and get him settled, before taking a taxi back to the airport and getting to my terminal for the international flight. I was stopped by TSA for having cat food in my carry-on (I had given him a few snacks during the layover), which slowed me down even more.

We both made it to the UK okay, but it was not an experience I would want to repeat unless absolutely necessary. :faint:
Dang! Well that's crap. I'm surprised they didn't do a quarantine. I don't know how quarantine's work for pets but I just remember reading somewhere someone had their dog quarantined for 30 days. I was like holy cow! 30 days?!

But thank you for your story. Esp. about the costs of taking a pet overseas. That's useful (and discouraging) information!

Anyways, it's good to know that you both made it out in the end. :)

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I will be travelling by car with Cha_Cha and Fingers this weekend. Its a very long drive, so I will be covering their travel cage so they cant be upset by the blurry scenery flying past, and giving them regular breaks.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Just had a long car trip (12hrs) with Cha Cha and fingers

No ill effects. The trick is to keep their travel cage covered so they can't see out