• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone keepings hornbills?

Tongue Flicker

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Neil Moreton
Hey guys! Don't know where to post this so here it goes.

So i have a chance to get a captive bred fledgling hornbill from a friend and i was wondering if anyone here has kept them.

I'm getting a Luzon Hornbill.

Just want to now how you deal or keep up with their indoor mess e.g. poop, droppings, etc. Could they be potty-trained? (Lol)

Any positive inputs are welcome. Thanks!

:)

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:bump8:

Rabb.D

Strolling the yard
these are dangerous birds, i would freak out if i had one indoors, they feed not only on carcasses but also live deer. they might as well feed on you.... also hornbills are adept to pre-natural environment so they won't do well mentally emotionally or healthy wise physically when kept as pets

when i say pre-natural i mean there is a collated system to their upbringing, which supports an entire ecosystem.

Last edited:

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Now I want to hear more about them! What do you feed them?

Hornbillkeeper

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Blaine
General diet consists of mazuri soft bill diet, insects, fruit. Depending on hornbill it changes.

hellen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
hellen
wow, lovely bird, i dont know anything about them unfortunatley. have they a bad reputation? rather like a pit bull (which i love)

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm intrigued now too. :yes3: What are their temperament like? I think the majority of us are parrot owners so we rarely hear about hornbills, toucans, ect. Please don't be shy :) Personally I love learning about different species and would love to hear about and your personal experience with them :)