• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone have experience with Verti DMG??

Roo bird

Meeting neighbors
I came across info on this DMG supplement.....I am going crazy trying to find something to help my baby Leroy, who started having seizures 6 days ago. He was started on phenobarbital a few days ago, but so far he is still seizing. (I know it can take awhile to build up in their system) my husband and I are now obsessed with finding anything ie; light, vitamin,supplement ect... That can help Leroy. (he is only 20 months old ) so far I have only read great things about this DMG. Supposedly it can raise the seizure threshold, on top of lots of other benefits. Also it is good for cats and dogs. Anyone know anything??

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I have quite a few of my birds on it. I have had it recommended by my vet for seizures.

DMG: A Nutrient for the New Millennium

It provides useful building units for biosynthesis of vitamins, hormones, neurotransmitters, antibodies, nucleic acids and other metabolically active molecules.
It improves oxygen utilization to reduce hypoxic states in the body and it removes lactic acid from muscle tissue.
It improves the immune response by increasing resistance to disease and infection.
It has antiviral, antibacterial and anti-tumor properties and modulates inflammation responses.
It aids in cardiovascular functions by reducing elevated cholesterol, blood pressure and triglyceride levels and improving circulation.
It possesses anti-cancer activity and can prevent metastases.
It enhances energy levels, endurance and muscle metabolism.
It improves mental and physical performance.
It improves neurological function and mental clarity.
It improves verbal communications and social interactions in autistic individuals.
It increases the threshold for seizures and can reduce seizures.
It improves glucose metabolism and "R" word cataract formation.
It aids in detoxification and enhances liver function.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:D Thank you! Sounds great :cool:

If I can be of anymore help let me know. There is a loading dose of the recommended amount twice a day not once a day for two weeks. :hug8:

@Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
When My Hank was having seizures, I didn't know about DMG (wish I had). His seizures were caused by low blood sugar and feeding him the very first thing in the morning cured the seizing. There are so many different causes for seizures that they are almost impossible to diagnose.

Has atherosclerosis been ruled out? Lack of oxygen from a circulatory issue can, and many times will, lead to seizures. A simple left side lateral xray will tell you if your bird has atherosclerosis.

DMG won't harm your bird and you can't overdose, so yes, start him on DMG.

Many say not to pick your bird up when they are having seizures, but I always picked Hank up and held him close (not restrained) - he seemed to be comforted by this. Frankly I didn't care if he chewed my arm off. I just wanted that horrible look of fear to go away.

What kind of bird is he?