• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone have experience with keeping a lovebird clipped ongoing/for life?

Zach

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Zach
Hello, I have had my female lovebird for about 8 months now. When I got her the pet store gave what the vet called a "butcher cut" on her wings so she never really attempted to fly.

She lives a very inclusive life with me, she's with me all day/evening only going to her cage when I go to sleep. I work from home and don't go out too often. She seems to be very happy and just wants to do whatever I do.

As her feathers grow back she's starting to get a little more bold when she sees something she wants and I'm trying to decide what would be best. I know I can give her the time/attention to keep her happy when clipped, if I don't she will have to spend more time in her cage (she's not a fan).

Anyone have a lovie for a long time and kept them clipped? Please share your good or bad experiences.

Thanks!

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Unfortunately while you can give the attention and what not, what you wouldn’t be able to give her is keeping the muscles from becoming atrophied. Birds need to use those muscles as often as possible. All of mine are fully flighted, and I think they’re happier for it. My cockatoo, for example, was clipped for years before I got her. While she still isn’t flying much more than just a few hops here and there, she seems stronger and healthier.

I don’t think there’s ever a reason for clipping a bird unless vet recommended for medical reasons.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's kinda like kids, right? At one point they start walking and then it's a whole new challenge! They are everywhere, into everything, falling, etc.

While we could strap them down and make them sit where we want, or tie their shoe laces together to make them slow way down, that's really not fair to them. So instead, we adapt the environment to them to ensure it's safe for them to explore.

The same should go for birds!

Birds' whole bodies are designed for flight. You can actually shorten their lives by clipping them, because it sets them up for heart disease and other physical issues.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If one cuts flight feathers for the life of a bird it greatly affects their health. You might as well have a bird with no wings at all.

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
People getting birds thinking they're these flightless creatures baffles me? A bird flies, that's what makes them special.
I have nothing to add to this thread other than what's already been said. I was very pleased by the responses I've read, and hope you take them to heart.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
As her feathers grow back she's starting to get a little more bold when she sees something she wants
if I don't she will have to spend more time in her cage (she's not a fan)
Perhaps you could start another thread and ask folks for some tips on the transition period between clipped to flighted bird, and also some tips for living with flighted birds.
I have always had dogs and other pets, but when I brought home my first bird, he was flying very young and I had to adapt what I knew about other animal companions, and figure out how to keep my new bird safe while letting him fly about my house.
Even simple things like, I keep my plants that are toxic to birds outside so they don 't have contact with them.