• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone going through Pionus Hormonal season right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My sweet Sachi is going through the this right now. She's not being aggressive at all so far. I feel helpless and perplexed because there is nothing I can do to help satisfy her mating urges.:(

Dani

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Not yet Saemma.........but starting in Nov for Bronson. Has Sachi laid any eggs yet, I forget how old she is. This is a very hard time for us parronts. :hug8:I just posted this on Bronson in the "Pionus Check In" thread.
Yes, she is FULL of hormones! Never ever mean, cranky or even territorial. She doesn't even try to build a nest. What she does do is constantly honk (it is very loud and quite annoying) and rub on her toys or her cage. All I have to do is walk in the room or even if she hears my voice she will start, it goes on forever! I see it getting worse every year and think she would be a good candidate for Lupron injections. She also lays eggs, a lot I think. She really doesn't lay them, she lets them drop from her perch. This behavior starts in Nov and doesn't let up until March/April and I think she laid about 8 eggs during those months. I try very hard to not set her up for theses hormonal times. I really can't touch her at all,(during the hormonal time) like I said she'll start honking just hearing my voice. I cut back on light and warm mushy food is limited. No scritiches, that part kills me! So that is what it is like with Bronson, I dread the winter months!

Last edited:

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Kei flew over to my shoulder today and started doing her mating noises as she backed her butt into my neck. So, yes, I am. :p
Toady has never showed sexual interest in me. He would rather just snuggle and feed me, not interested in other stuff.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not yet Saemma.........but starting in Nov for Bronson. Has Sachi laid any eggs yet, I forget how old she is. This is a very hard time for us parronts. :hug8:I just posted this on Bronson in the "Pionus Check In" thread.
Yes, she is FULL of hormones! Never ever mean, cranky or even territorial. She doesn't even try to build a nest. What she does do is constantly honk (it is very loud and quite annoying) and rub on her toys or her cage. All I have to do is walk in the room or even if she hears my voice she will start, it goes on forever! I see it getting worse every year and think she would be a good candidate for Lupron injections. She also lays eggs, a lot I think. She really doesn't lay them, she lets them drop from her perch. This behavior starts in Nov and doesn't let up until March/April and I think she laid about 8 eggs during those months. I try very hard to not set her up for theses hormonal times. I really can't touch her at all,(during the hormonal time) like I said she'll start honking just hearing my voice. I cut back on light and warm mushy food is limited. No scritiches, that part kills me! So that is what it is like with Bronson, I dread the winter months!

Thanks Dani.:)

:eek: Sounds like a very trying time. Sachi turned 4 years old in May. Hasn't gotten to the same point as Bronson.:p
Here's wishing an easier winter this time around.:hug8:

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Yes and yes! :faint: I can't catch a break here lately :(

Loki either wants to show me what a proud boy he is and get nothing but head scratches, or take my finger off. its cool one day and hot the next!! :rolleyes:

Odin has taken to trying for a head scratch, then trying for a finger to latch onto!! she is fine with daddy though. :p

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:D Good to know that it's Pionus parrot hormone season in different parts of North America.:lol:

SallyQZ

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
Hardy is uber-hormonal right now! Surprisingly, he's yelling less this year than last year. But he's spoiling for a fight pretty much every day. He wants to come out badly, and says "Hardy wanna come out!" but as soon as he steps up into my palm, he starts bristling his feathers and threatening to bite. I dump him on the sofa beside me and he makes false lunges at my leg and hand for at least an hour. Eventually he sweetens up and I'll pick him up and hold him or give him scritches then. Sometimes his good mood only lasts 15 mins or so, then he gets surly again and I put him back in his cage.

He does seem to be making an effort to NOT bite though. :dance5: Or at least I'm not getting bitten as much as last year! :D

abbydp

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tara
OMG Piglet has got it badddddd. He lures us in like he wants a head scratch and then CHOMP. Luckily he hasn't drawn blood yet.

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
UGGGGGH Loki is sooo bipolar!! I can't wait for winter, he is so much more mellow then. He either wants to build a nest on my pillow for me, or bite my hands off around his stuff!! :faint:

Status
Not open for further replies.