• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone else dealing with more screaming than normal?

jenseits

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jenseits
My conure is molting (near the end of this molt, I hope) and he's been so super scream-y lately. I'm trying to ride it out, but OMG is this grouchy season a long one this time. He's doing his "I'm upset" scream every day and it just goes on and on and on. I'm obviously not rewarding him with attention, but he doesn't even want attention (this is different from his "pay attention to me scream") and I'm going insane.

Just looking to commiserate with anyone going through this too. Fall can't come soon enough for me!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo has been screaming all day with very few breaks for about 6-8 months now.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

yeah. lol. It makes my anxiety go through the roof. I basically have to wear war plugs or I can't handle it. It's every 5-10 seconds for 2-3 hours at a time, and then maybe a 30 minute break before he resumes.

He has always been a screamer though, ever since I brought him home at 3 months old. I get periods of like 6 months where he is "better" but then he goes back to his old ways. So I have dealt with it on and off for 7 years.

Hormones seem to have passed though as I am not getting dive bombed anymore!

AussietheLovie

Moving in
My lovie is in ultra-hormonal mode at the moment. She can scream with the best of them- she sounds quite a bit like a conure! I never expected a lovebird to be my loudest bird to date. I just let her screech it out (though her favorite spot to scream is from my shoulder). We're with you on the 'grouchy season' concept... I'm just hoping that it'll be over quickly this year! Best of luck to you!

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Well idk about screaming but my parrotlet is chirping louder than usual, but I'm pretty sure it's because of the jingle balls I got her recently. xD Idk if she loves them or hates them...

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Please do yourselves a favor and check out Avicalm, you can buy it from Amazon -its all natural and you can't over do. Also recommend a low energy diet, more sleep hrs and activities that use up energy...I promise my birds don't scream even during molt & hormone seasons.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Kraz is moulting and in MAJOR screaming mode right now. Which wouldn't be terrible, except that he gets Réy going which gets Kamara going which gets Taco going...
:faint:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Crimson bellies are excellent screamers. Year round. Even with a door closed. When I go into Ruby, Scarlette and Casey's room I can't hear myself think until they stop screaming. Oye...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Please do yourselves a favor and check out Avicalm, you can buy it from Amazon -its all natural and you can't over do. Also recommend a low energy diet, more sleep hrs and activities that use up energy...I promise my birds don't scream even during molt & hormone seasons.

Trust me, I have tried it AviCalm, teas, a bunch of different diets, I've even tried up to 14 hours of sleep, and encouraging a TON of exercise, both physical and mental, and I still have a screamer. I am sure I did something to encourage it when he was a baby (though I have no idea what) and it has just been an issue for 7 years that I suffer through :p

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
wow.....this reminds me of a very loving cockatoo I fostered , he would cry constantly, loud annoying crying. My other birds started mimicking the noise. He was very loving and cuddly as long as I was holding him. I have 9 birds I can't carry around just one bird all day and I had a out of the house job. We found him a home where he was the only bird. We did have him vet checked to make sure it wasn't anything medically . I am so sorry I wish i had a magical answer :(

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Waffle is not usually a screamer, and if she does it usually doesn't last more than 20 mins. But she has had some real screaming fits lately. :wtf: Molting sucks!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Linnies are known for being a quiet species and Gigi is not an exception. She's hilarious when she does contact calls. If she has something to say, her calls are pretty loud and there are about 6 of them, then it fades into a buzz or laser sound. Then it stops. It is so funny.

But I've had plenty of noisy birds in the past. It's like a character/patience building experience, lol. I remember when I went to visit my caiques at the breeder. She had a Cockatoo room. If I spent much time there, I almost always left with at least a mild headache.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Jenks has been screaming his head off lately and been pretty aggressive in the last couple of weeks. He got me a good one on the ear for moving his food bowl the other day. He has a ton of pins right now so he is pretty miserable. Hopefully it passes soon poor fids.

$arge

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rafael
And here I thought it was just me.... my B&G macaw jack is pushing it... super screamy and bitey...I thought we were making progress with his feathers and our relationship, geez what a butt hole.... I hope this passes soon.