1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone breeding the Red Siskin?

Discussion in 'Poultry Row' started by Lincee, 5/27/19.

1. Lincee

Lincee Rollerblading along the road

Jan
    so, recently i had someone build me an outdoor aviary!

I used to have one when i was a kid (from 8 to 19) and it seems blood is thicker then water (is that the correct saying?)

So, as a present to myself i got a pair of Red Siskins (i LOVE) their colour! Only to find out they are endangered in the wild :( so, i was wondering if anyone is breeding with them?

Attached Files:

2. fashionfobie

fashionfobie Rollerblading along the road

Natalie
    Lincee likes this.
  3. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
    There was a breeding consortium in the United States for this species, however I am unsure of how many of the breeders are still breeding this species today.

Lincee and Lady Jane like this.
  4. simon777

simon777 Sprinting down the street

Iliel
    It would be wonderful if you could aim to breed for wild release. I've got no idea who to contact about this but I hope you consider helping in this way.

Lincee likes this.
  5. fashionfobie

Natalie
    The Netherlands is not an ideal location for breeding and release of a Venezuelan species.

Here is a link to an organisation that does do this work if you wanted to donate @simon777 : Red Siskin

The Guardian isn't the best media..at all.. but you may find the read below interesting. Many times breeding for wild release is a platform used to get hard to source birds or endangered bird... not with the best intentions in mind. There is very little success releasing birds back to their native continents when they have NO exposure to these places. Not to mention the trauma of transporting the birds. How is the ACTP going to revive the Glossy cockatoos here near Noosa? Import the birds from Germany back to Australia? -- It is a nice idea on paper, but it isn't realistic.
    Australia gave endangered birds to secretive German ‘zoo’, ignoring warnings | Environment | The Guardian

Lincee likes this.
  6. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Tanya
    A couple at least.

@Lincee try the nfss. (National Finch & Softbill Society, US) You searched for Siskin - NFSS | National Finch & Softbill Society
    They also have a facebook group.

Lincee likes this.
  7. fashionfobie

Natalie
    Lincee and finchly like this.
  8. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Tanya
    I know that but the group is open and I think it already has some international members.

No, I only knew that one because of my affiliation with the group.

Lincee and fashionfobie like this.
  9. Lincee

Lincee Rollerblading along the road

Jan
    My Siskins have 5 eggs :) they’re so tiny...

10. finchly

Tanya
    Lincee and fashionfobie like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)