• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anybody Use Mirrorless?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I was wondering if anyone uses mirrorless cameras. I am thinking of switching from my Dslr to mirrorless because I am getting tired of lugging all the weighed around.

I also like the micro four thirds platform for the 2x multiplier on the sensor since I do a lot of bird photos.

I am finding it difficult to think of selling my canon gear because I have a really nice lens that I love but canon is just not that exciting when it comes to mirrorless and well. That nice lens is also super heavy.

Any thoughts?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Mirrorless is the future. It's finally up to snuff. Took quite a while. The high end Sonys are exceptional cameras.

If you're going to spend that kind of money there is nothing better than a full size sensor. That is the "secret" for any camera.

I use a mirrorless camera. It's called an iPhone. :D

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie

I use a mirrorless camera. It's called an iPhone. :D
I was waiting for someone to say this. Lol!

Thanks for the input. I have always had a crop sensor. Never had a full frame I would actually like to have both for different purposes.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a few mirrorless cameras: Pentax K-01, Lumix GX7 and Lumix G3. Love the weight and portability. My GX7 is probably my favorite. In addition to Sony, Panasonic and Pentax (the K-01 has been discontinued but Q series still available), Olympus and Fuji also offer mirrorless cameras. Panasonic & Oly offer an great selection of excellent lenses and can use with either brand of camera.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I have a few mirrorless cameras: Pentax K-01, Lumix GX7 and Lumix G3. Love the weight and portability. My GX7 is probably my favorite. In addition to Sony, Panasonic and Pentax (the K-01 has been discontinued but Q series still available), Olympus and Fuji also offer mirrorless cameras. Panasonic & Oly offer an great selection of excellent lenses and can use with either brand of camera.
Thanks so much! I have been researching and really like the Olympus cameras. The om-d e-m5 mark II was high on my list. I went to a camera store, yes a real actual brick and mortar store. I told the man what I wanted to shot and he immediately handed me the E-M1 Mark II and said this is the one you need. At least we agree.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
So I decided on the Olympus O-MD E-M5 Mark II. I also got the 12-40 2.8 Pro Lens and the 75-300mm. It is coming tomorrow. I am beyond excited. I may not sleep tonight, LOL! Now all I have to do is sell all my canon gear.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. That's a very, very nice camera. Looking forward to seeing photos.

Last edited:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Thanks! I can't wait to see how nice it is. Super high tech compared to my Canon 7D which I love to death but am finding quite heavy these days.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I noticed I typed it wrong it is the E-M5. I decided to save the money and spend it on lenses. The E-M1 was so cool but I didn't a need for all the video features it has.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I noticed I typed it wrong it is the E-M5. I decided to save the money and spend it on lenses. The E-M1 was so cool but I didn't a need for all the video features it has.

Still a very nice camera and good to save $$ and use that towards quality lenses.

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
I was wondering if anyone uses mirrorless cameras. I am thinking of switching from my Dslr to mirrorless because I am getting tired of lugging all the weighed around.

I also like the micro four thirds platform for the 2x multiplier on the sensor since I do a lot of bird photos.

I am finding it difficult to think of selling my canon gear because I have a really nice lens that I love but canon is just not that exciting when it comes to mirrorless and well. That nice lens is also super heavy.

Any thoughts?
I would stick with your Cannon DSLR Gear... having said that there is a time and place for both...

Mirrorless is great for walking around... more compact, less conspicuous, easy to use.... you can get pretty good quality pictures.

DSLR is the king for getting great quality shots, better lens, more options.... last I checked and its been a while you couldn't get a 70-200 f2.8 for any mirrorless platform, that's my number one goto lens... it's all about the lens for me.

Oh, and the auto focus on dslr is super fast.... which you need for wildlife.

Last edited:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I don't think I'd sell your Canon gear at all till you decide how you like the new one and each camera system will probably have things it's better at so see how it shakes out before you dump the Canon stuff then maybe figure out you should have kept it around too. I WANT a long zoom P-S camera, my first decent one was a Sony DSC-85, then I got a digital Rebel XT though I had a few very early digital cameras before hand.
I like my newer T3 I have now but would like a easy carry camera a little better then my cell phone that wont kill me if I loose it and can take good shots. I have a few Canon film cameras too and at least the digital version can use the EF lenses which is handy as I have about 5 now, 3 are EF film lenses and two are the small sensor lenses made for the digital cameras. I have a 18-55 and a 55-250 both image stabilized I use most of the time then the film lenses like a 100-300 that takes nice zoom shots.