• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any Specific Age For Talking?

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Is there any specific age that a Parrotlet starts to talk? Kai chatters, sings, and makes all sorts of funny sounds but definitely not talking. He is just 22 weeks and in the middle of his first molt.

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Dgh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dana
My baby Quill was starting to talk in chatter at around his molt. He now will occasionally say something on my trying to bring it out; 3 months later. He talks a lot in his sitting and relaxing chatter. I am suprised sometimes by what I didn't know he knew. Luckily no curses.. Lol. I talk to Quill a lot and will even fuss with him if he isn't nippy just mouthy verbally about something I am doing he doesn't want me to do. An example, if I am crinkling a bag of his pellets or such and he starts fussing; I will tell him you are getting these today get over it and ECT... To keep it going. He loves to fuss! As long as he is not aggressive I am verbal. If he is nippy or aggressive I am quiet, ignoring, and/or distracting.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
My baby Quill was starting to talk in chatter at around his molt. He now will occasionally say something on my trying to bring it out; 3 months later. He talks a lot in his sitting and relaxing chatter. I am suprised sometimes by what I didn't know he knew. Luckily no curses.. Lol. I talk to Quill a lot and will even fuss with him if he isn't nippy just mouthy verbally about something I am doing he doesn't want me to do. An example, if I am crinkling a bag of his pellets or such and he starts fussing; I will tell him you are getting these today get over it and ECT... To keep it going. He loves to fuss! As long as he is not aggressive I am verbal. If he is nippy or aggressive I am quiet, ignoring, and/or distracting.
Thank you so much for your reply. Kai loves to chatter by himself but will also chatter with me when I talk to him or when I am working on a word or phrase with him. Sometimes I think I hear a word I am teaching him slip through but not sure if that is just my wishful thinking. He also fusses when I open his pellets or any bag for that matter and I do the same thing you do. Thanks again for your input.

Reactions: Dgh

Charlotte2727

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
sara
I like to think of it as babies. Birds will develop talking skill as they grow and get older. They can also mimic our sounds better.

Dgh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dana
I like to think of it as babies. Birds will develop talking skill as they grow and get older. They can also mimic our sounds better.
Oh I might need to dial my talk back 'll.
Thank you so much for your reply. Kai loves to chatter by himself but will also chatter with me when I talk to him or when I am working on a word or phrase with him. Sometimes I think I hear a word I am teaching him slip through but not sure if that is just my wishful thinking. He also fusses when I open his pellets or any bag for that matter and I do the same thing you do. Thanks again for your input.
I am sure he is learning. Any that can and want to will. They do what they will. We just need to bring it out when they do.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Thank you for your reply. I talk and sing to Kai a lot and work with teaching him words and phrases every day. He does a lot of talking back when I talk to him and when he is entertaining himself but nothing I can understand. He is just 25 weeks so he is young. I love him whether he talks or not but it would really be exciting to hear him speak.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Oh I might need to dial my talk back 'll.

I am sure he is learning. Any that can and want to will. They do what they will. We just need to bring it out when they do.
I am hoping he will want to talk. I love him either way but it would be very exciting to hear him speak. He loves to listen to me talk to him. Comes right over when he is in his cage to talk back. Can’t understand what he is saying but we have conversations about all sorts of things. He loves the attention.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
yes lol, they may begin to mumble words and attempt to copy us.
I would love to hear him say something back but I understand that some refuse to talk so whatever he wants. Right now he is definitely enjoying listening to me and although I have no idea what he is saying he talks to me when I talk to him most of the time. So cute.

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
My best talker with a large vocabulary chatters away when she thinks you can’t hear her but the minute I walk in her room she stops. She’s a cockatoo and I don’t think they’re known for talking. Once in awhile she’ll blurt our hey there whatcha DOOING ? .... she’s 22 .. I think it depends on the bird because my male doesn’t talk and my other female says a few phrases all the time. My birds I’ve had since they were babies began saying words at about a year. And they’re all different too even though they’re sisters.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
My Twitter didn't talk but he could make the sound of a kiss back at me when I kissed him, and he certainly had learned some budgie talk too, probably more interesting and easier for him than human talk!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Gribouille It is nice to see you on. I have been thinking of you and Twitter. Kissy sounds are so cutest!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
@Gribouille It is nice to see you on. I have been thinking of you and Twitter. Kissy sounds are so cutest!
Thanks for your thoughts, I am still very busy so not much on the net, and well, without Twitter, much less to tell here, but I still keep an eye on you guys. Thinking of adopting a new p'let at some point (a green one, can't be a blue one now!!). Although life is much easier without Twitter bullying the budgies and sticking his beak in everything I do, it is very boring at home now..

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Thanks for your thoughts, I am still very busy so not much on the net, and well, without Twitter, much less to tell here, but I still keep an eye on you guys. Thinking of adopting a new p'let at some point (a green one, can't be a blue one now!!). Although life is much easier without Twitter bullying the budgies and sticking his beak in everything I do, it is very boring at home now..
:( I understand how you feel.

I suppose you could try another species that might be easier with your budgies. Maybe start a tread about it to get some ideas?

Warm regards,
~Natalie

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
:( I understand how you feel.

I suppose you could try another species that might be easier with your budgies. Maybe start a tread about it to get some ideas?

Warm regards,
~Natalie
That is probably a good idea, but then...

I don't want to give my budgies away but I won't take budgies again when those are gone. P'lets on the other hand, I really feel they are the right species for us :heart:. They are small, fun and not so noisy. They are real parrots without the large poops and dents in the walls or furnitures :D
So the plan is to finish upgrading the flat, move and settle in, then see how we could host the budgies and a new p'let. If it is not possible for the time being, we'll just forget about it but at some point we'll probably have another one :pletgm:. Maybe when the kids move out so we have an extra room...

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
My best talker with a large vocabulary chatters away when she thinks you can’t hear her but the minute I walk in her room she stops. She’s a cockatoo and I don’t think they’re known for talking. Once in awhile she’ll blurt our hey there whatcha DOOING ? .... she’s 22 .. I think it depends on the bird because my male doesn’t talk and my other female says a few phrases all the time. My birds I’ve had since they were babies began saying words at about a year. And they’re all different too even though they’re sisters.
Thank you so much for your reply. Kai does most of his talking with me in the morning. He will come right up in front of me from inside his cage and talk with me. We go back and forth. Even though I have no idea what he is saying we carry on a lengthy conversation for about 15 minutes and then he is ready for his fruits. Aside from his half hour lesson with my repeating words to him in the hopes of him repeating them back some day we also spend 15 minutes several times a day in the afternoons and early evenings conversing with each other. He seems to have a lo to tell me. Which I knew what he was saying. Lol! He is so cute.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Aside from his half hour lesson with my repeating words to him in the hopes of him repeating them back some day
Actually, reading your sentence, it reminds me that I believe Twitter used to sit for himself in the kitchen and have those clam conversations with himself where I swear I could hear him say "peek a boo". He would stop as soon as we came in, and never said it right to us, although I really tried to repeat it many times in the hope that he would say it to me... So good luck with Kai, you never know what goes in those little skulls!

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Actually, reading your sentence, it reminds me that I believe Twitter used to sit for himself in the kitchen and have those clam conversations with himself where I swear I could hear him say "peek a boo". He would stop as soon as we came in, and never said it right to us, although I really tried to repeat it many times in the hope that he would say it to me... So good luck with Kai, you never know what goes in those little skulls!
Kai loves to have conversations with me. He is so funny. As soon as I uncover his cage in the morning he starts a lovely conversation with me. We go back and forth with each other. If I walk away after a bit he starts to fuss. He like to converse with me and loves to have me talk to him. I just have no idea what he is saying.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Kai loves to have conversations with me. He is so funny. As soon as I uncover his cage in the morning he starts a lovely conversation with me. We go back and forth with each other. If I walk away after a bit he starts to fuss. He like to converse with me and loves to have me talk to him. I just have no idea what he is saying.
Yes they are funny that way. I used to "translate" what Twitter was saying, that had my son laughing to tears. That little fellow did bring much fun and joy in our home.