• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any painful pluckers

mandymmr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
She does this multiple times a day :cry3:. The vet says it's behavioral, I don't know if I agree with her :sad9:.
She has many items in her cage for preening & to play with. I'm at a loss. I saw coojo stopped chewing his shoulder due to heart condition, but my vet isn't willing to go any further

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Get a second opinion. It could be behavioral, but if you are not convinced, find a vet that will walk the path you want to follow.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes what Mizzely said. Trust yourself.

mandymmr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Yes what Mizzely said. Trust yourself.
But I've only had her since may and she's my first plucker. So am questioning everything. The vet sees me as if I'm in denial. Are there others out there that the painful cries are sadly an normal? What other items/toys are there that are sure hits for pluckers. She has TONS of things in & on her cage

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
But I've only had her since may and she's my first plucker. So am questioning everything. The vet sees me as if I'm in denial. Are there others out there that the painful cries are sadly an normal? What other items/toys are there that are sure hits for pluckers. She has TONS of things in & on her cage

Plucking HURTS. It is not a painless process. That doesn't stop them. Self mutilation is not normal regardless of the cause, whether its emotional, behavioral, or medical. When Bobber gets stressed out or has nothing to preen, he plucks his legs and he does make a pain noise.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Also, does she actually use any of the stuff in the cage? My kid has an entire room full of toys and still will say "Mom, I'm bored." The room of toys means nothing if they are not being used.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Plucking is a very complicated issue Mandy. Once a bird is a habitual plucker there isn't always a fix or cure. The feather picking is a stress coping mechanism. There is an endorphin rush from pulling the feather and relieving the irritation which is a reward. Much like scratching an itch. The pain itself can be/is reinforcing. Some things you will inevitably have to accept.

Toys and things are not the answer. That's just "stuff". Any animal with this level of intelligence is going to bore of it. To turn this kind of thing around a bird needs constant mental stimulation which only comes from interaction/attention (which we as humans can't provide if we have a normal life). Without others of their own kind they are "psychologically isolated".

The second part of this is providing a huge environment with no restrictions. No cage. Nothing but choice and the bird needs to fly or learn to fly which means an indoor/outdoor aviary. Hard for most people to provide but it truly is a requirement for a bird to thrive.

There is no easy answer. I dont disagree with the vets diagnosis.

We must go above and beyond for a bird like him because we are starting from so far behind if we want them to achieve some level of normalcy.

Last edited:

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I didn't watch the video, because I didn't want to hear any heartbreaking sounds, but I'm sure I've seen something like that before. I've seen a lot of pluckers/mutilators in action.

I agree with @JLcribber There is so much that birds need that is really hard/impossible for us to provide. I think that's why it's important to get as close as you possibly can, especially if you have a bird who's unhappy. It isn't your fault if it is behavioral, it's just that birds usually don't get what they need to be well balanced when they're captive. I myself don't think my Duckie gets what she needs, and though I'm always trying, it will probably never be possible.

How many hours a day do you spend with her one on one? Could you possibly look into getting someone to come visit her/spend time with her when you're not around? Do you take her outside on a harness into the sunshine? Could you start if not?

I don't know how long you've had her, but would it be feasible to start looking at rescues for another Hahns? Or at least planning to someday?

I think if a bird is stressed, there are a lot of avenues to look into or at least start considering...

Edit: I wanted to add this link that is a good primer for what a bird does during a typical day, and the importance of foraging. I think @saroj12 first added it to the foraging section.

Maybe it will help you with some ideas to hopefully get her happier, and less interested in plucking.

Parrot Recreation : Playgrounds, Puzzles, Diversions | Parrot | Senses

Last edited:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Rule out metal toxicity...Dr. O said that wing picking can be an indication. Rule out heart problems and other health factors before you contribute to behavioral. Carlton was on heart meds and then we slowly tried to wean him off...he ended up plucking his chest shortly after. Dr. O said that is an indication of heart problems. We placed him back on heart meds. Although by then Giggie his mate realized he was okay with being styled in a plucked manner and now modifies his feathers for him.

Birdy bunch

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Hattie
maybe try another vet?

mandymmr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
How many hours a day do you spend with her one on one? Could you possibly look into getting someone to come visit her/spend time with her when you're not around? Do you take her outside on a harness into the sunshine? Could you start if not?

I don't know how long you've had her, but would it be feasible to start looking at rescues for another Hahns? Or at least planning
I've had her since may 2017
We are together all day. She plucks with me around and when I'm not. Unfortunately it is winter here, so taking her out now isn't possible. I will be able to when it's warmer out in her travel cage.
I was not planning to get another parrot. There would be too many variables that lead me not to. The biggest is her not bonding. She was just starting to bond with a gray in her old home.

mandymmr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Fyi...the current vet put her on some medicine that zombies her out , but she still managed to pluck on it. Just not as bad

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
The cockatiel I used to have plucked under his wings his whole 17 year life and he would cry each time he pulled a feather. I'm sure it was behavior with him

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Fyi...the current vet put her on some medicine that zombies her out , but she still managed to pluck on it. Just not as bad
Gabapentin? That is what Giggie and tuck are on.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I've had her since may 2017
We are together all day. She plucks with me around and when I'm not. Unfortunately it is winter here, so taking her out now isn't possible. I will be able to when it's warmer out in her travel cage.
I was not planning to get another parrot. There would be too many variables that lead me not to. The biggest is her not bonding. She was just starting to bond with a gray in her old home.
That's great that you're together all day, and that you'll be taking her out when it gets warmer. :) Where do you live?

What do you mean the biggest variable is her not bonding? You mean not bonding to the other bird or not bonding to you? I'm just curious because I have that concern about my girl, who I'm about to get a flock mate for (my concern being that she won't like the other bird).

I wonder if some of her plucking has to do with leaving the Grey she was almost bonded to? That could be tough. =(

mandymmr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
That's great that you're together all day, and that you'll be taking her out when it gets warmer. :) Where do you live?=(
Indiana
What do you mean the biggest variable is her not bonding? You mean not bonding to the other bird or not bonding to you? I'm just curious because I have that concern about my girl, who I'm about to get a flock mate for (my concern being that she won't like the other bird).=(
Yes, that is exactly what i mean to another bird. They (birds) dont always get along. Some do and some dont.
I wonder if some of her plucking has to do with leaving the Grey she was almost bonded to? That could be tough. =(
From what I was told :)huh:) she was plucking when the lady before me got her (one with the gray)