• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any Advice?

beans1150

Moving in
Real Name
Janelle
I’ve posted a couple times on here and it’s been great!! I’m a new bird owner and everything is going pretty well but I’m wondering if there’s anything else I should know like tips or something for first time bird owners? He’s a peach faced and about 6.5 months old. Also I want to transition to RowdyBush pellets and he doesn’t HATE them but how do I do a switch from seeds to pellets?

lovebirb

Meeting neighbors
welcome! i'm new to birds myself, so i can't offer too much advice overall but i also have a young lovebird and after a ton of research i had great success switching my little guy over from a diet of seed and zupreem fruit blend pellets onto a more healthy one of roudybush mini pellets and fresh fruits & veggies.

best way to encourage your bird to eat anything is to first show them that its edible and exciting. my little guy had no interest in the roudybush pellets until i took a little nibble myself and offered him some.

after you've shown them that they're safe and yummy to eat, you can mix equal parts seed and pellets in a bowl and gradually reduce the amount of seed over time.

a reliable method for pickier birds is to add hot water to your seed and pellet mix and knead it all together to make little balls or a cake in the bottom of the dish; this will force your bird to forage through the pellets to get to the seed and they'll learn the pellets are food and fun to tear apart. make sure not to leave this wet mix sitting in his bowl too long though!

i still do this for my lovie from time to time with his pellets and different organic fruits and dried oats to make a parrot oatmeal of sorts. variety is important! keep offering your bird different things they like with the pellets as well. my guy loves dried and fresh fruits, and broccoli seems to be a big foraging favorite.

if your bird likes nutriberries, breaking one of those up into the mix works nicely as well. lafeber (the same company that makes nutriberries) also offers avicakes, which are a pre-made mix of pellets and seed held together in little squares your bird can tear up and eat which might help to convince your bird to see pellets as an exciting treat.

i would recommend trying roudybush california blend mini as well, which has got dried fruits and veggies mixed in with the pellets. very high quality food!

i've found my lovebird loves to try new things, especially anything i'm interested in, but he can also be a bit picky, so don't give up if the first thing you try isn't their favorite! just keep trying and you'll find what works best for both of you. :)

be sure to always double check that whatever you're giving your bird is safe for them and organic. good luck!