• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any advice?

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
As you know Dante is a stubborn and picky little guy. All I want to do is train him the basics, like teaching him not to bite, or to perch on my finger on command (also his vet said that its a good distraction and it keeps his mind active)-- the problem is that, I need treats to motivate him, but again he's picky so he doesn't really have anything to motivate him. I know you guys have amazing vendors here so I'll go and check them out. but what do you guys give your birds as treats anything that a bird as picky as Dante will like?

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
I train my lovies with millet (strands for tricks, individual seeds for step-up/handling training - though maybe stay away from individual seeds until Dante is a bit more comfortable with hands) but I also use avicakes as 'cage treats' to coax my guys back into their cages. Nutriberries might work too, but they're a bit solid for the little beaks and produce a lot of waste when not kept together in a bowl.

I think training a few tricks is especially helpful when still in the taming process as it helps to distract an agitated bird prior to handling. It's also nice to start with a few tricks that don't require physical contact so they get the hang of things and see the enrichment side of interacting with you in a situation where discomfort is kept at minimum. Good luck with your training :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Quakers... food of any kind.
My green cheek : foot toys
My Hahns : my affection.

Gotta figure out what makes him tick!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
My lovies only get sunflower seeds as reward. Sometimes I use pieces of carrot or different (Dried) berries. For Henkie my attention is rewarding as well so sometimes that is the reward. Good luck with training! Have you tried target training him yet? That could be usefull to bribe him to go somewhere

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
I train my lovies with millet (strands for tricks, individual seeds for step-up/handling training - though maybe stay away from individual seeds until Dante is a bit more comfortable with hands) but I also use avicakes as 'cage treats' to coax my guys back into their cages. Nutriberries might work too, but they're a bit solid for the little beaks and produce a lot of waste when not kept together in a bowl.

I think training a few tricks is especially helpful when still in the taming process as it helps to distract an agitated bird prior to handling. It's also nice to start with a few tricks that don't require physical contact so they get the hang of things and see the enrichment side of interacting with you in a situation where discomfort is kept at minimum. Good luck with your training :)
I do have millet, but my mom doesn't like the mess, so if I do want to try that, I'll have to be careful.

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
My lovies only get sunflower seeds as reward. Sometimes I use pieces of carrot or different (Dried) berries. For Henkie my attention is rewarding as well so sometimes that is the reward. Good luck with training! Have you tried target training him yet? That could be usefull to bribe him to go somewhere
Dante does like sunflower seeds, maybe that could work