• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anti Social

Badger

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael Thompson
So about three weeks ago I got my Rainbow Lorikeet a breeding box. He (pretty sure its a he) showed interest in it straight away and really seems to enjoy it. However, whenever I approach him to take him out of his cage he turns around and jumps in his box. Its strange because he sends me body language that he wants attention but turns around and hops in his box when I try to give him some haha. Does anyone know what might be going on? He spends a lot of time in his box.

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ana
If he's really attached to you, maybe he views you as a potential mate and is trying to "entice" you. Hopefully someone with more lorikeet knowledge will come to help.
@JAM @firdy num num

I'm just wondering, why did you give him a nesting box? A hormonal birdie is not a lot of fun.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Get rid of the box. That is the source of the problem. You're promoting nesting aggressive behaviour.

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Lorikeets are probably one of the most aggressive when it comes to territory and will happily fight to the death over nests.

As John says above you have triggered nesting behaviour and he/she sees you now as an intruder. The only way to fix that is to remove the box.
None of ours have nesting boxes anymore as there was immediate learning from putting them in that aggression was triggered.

Badger

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael Thompson
I put the box in there so he could have shelter to sleep in, because he is outdoors. Normally I'd bring him inside at night time but my parents are lazy with him when I'm not around. He does poke his head out but he seems to act exactly the same with me as before when I can finally get him out. But I guess I'll just get rid of the nesting box.

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ana
I put the box in there so he could have shelter to sleep in, because he is outdoors. Normally I'd bring him inside at night time but my parents are lazy with him when I'm not around. He does poke his head out but he seems to act exactly the same with me as before when I can finally get him out. But I guess I'll just get rid of the nesting box.

If you're worried about shelter then I'd suggest fastening some sheets of plexiglass or something to the corner where he usually sleeps so that he at least has protection against wind. :) Be careful about wild animals too, I wouldn't recommend housing a bird outside unless you had some animal-proof aviary.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I give my lorikeets sleeping huts (the ones that are open at each end). They use them year round. Some may not recommend them, but I personally haven't found they brought on nesting behaviour. I would remove them if they did. I wouldn't, however, give them a nest box.

CallmeSweetie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Andrea
Hows it going now the box is gone? He is very cute, what makes you think he is a boy?

I'm convinced Sweetie is a girl as she loves bags and makeup! I wanted to get a DNA test done and I was saving feathers for my folks to take back to the UK to get the test done but the lab said they have to be freshly plucked and i just can't bring myself to do that!

Badger

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael Thompson
Hows it going now the box is gone? He is very cute, what makes you think he is a boy?

I'm convinced Sweetie is a girl as she loves bags and makeup! I wanted to get a DNA test done and I was saving feathers for my folks to take back to the UK to get the test done but the lab said they have to be freshly plucked and i just can't bring myself to do that!
Yeah good, I had a spare budgie breeding box so I knocked two sides of it out so he has a little hut now, as suggested above. I never really noticed any difference in his behavior, hes always been a bit of a prick though haha. Well I think he's a boy due to him having a lot of attitude, Lup'e also likes to do his mating dance to my feet or anyones feet and also the dog haha. Also with the nesting habits, how he decorated the nest - apparently male behavior.

CallmeSweetie

Real Name
Andrea
That's great news yeah I think lorikeets are the biggest flirts of the parrot world, if I take sweetie to the bar at the end of the road she won't rest till she had met every table! I'm like sorry do you mind if the bird says hello

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
Stormy is a male cockateil has slept in a open basket since he was 6 weeks..never had any issues. He likes me to fluff his shredded paper up at times..Yes he does have cage aggression during the day..don't Ya`'ll be messing in my cage! I wonder if maybe cause your bird is outside that it doesn't get enough attention?? Running to a safe place? I leave my cage open and he has free will come and go..and spends most of his time glued to me or on his cage playing..why can't you bring him in?? Just asking.

Badger

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael Thompson
Stormy is a male cockateil has slept in a open basket since he was 6 weeks..never had any issues. He likes me to fluff his shredded paper up at times..Yes he does have cage aggression during the day..don't Ya`'ll be messing in my cage! I wonder if maybe cause your bird is outside that it doesn't get enough attention?? Running to a safe place? I leave my cage open and he has free will come and go..and spends most of his time glued to me or on his cage playing..why can't you bring him in?? Just asking.
I guess I just like the idea of him being outside, with all the other birds. More natural entertainment for him! It also makes life easier with the whole pooing situation. I do handle him each day.

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
Stormy has me as his poop station lol! He is on me all the time..if he is on the floor I sure don't see any poop. Right now it's in the 30`s rainy cold and snow sleet & ice storms soon to follow..in the summer it's extremely hot and humid so I really don't think out side is an option for mine..

Badger

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael Thompson
Stormy has me as his poop station lol! He is on me all the time..if he is on the floor I sure don't see any poop. Right now it's in the 30`s rainy cold and snow sleet & ice storms soon to follow..in the summer it's extremely hot and humid so I really don't think out side is an option for mine..
Believe me if I could be Lupe's poop station Id gladly accept. If hes on my shoulder on the couch he'll shoot poop onto there, if he's on my shoulder when I'm walking around he'll shoot poop onto the floor or other in zone objects.

CallmeSweetie

Real Name
Andrea
i have same problem projectile poop! i swear it shoots out at a 90 degree angle, my boyfriend refuses to kiss me if i get poop on my hair lol and he disowned me in the shopping mall as i had poop all down my top, oh well :)

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
With multiple lories we have multiple packs of baby wipes to mop up around after them. :)

Wolf

Jogging around the block
Since I don't have lorikeets I don't have the same poop issues as you do but I keep a roll of toilet paper handy and some in my pocket as well to deal with the poops.