• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another one? Indoors to outdoors- possible?

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
The community Facebook page just posted about a budgie breeding a new forever home. I really don't know why I am asking you lot, as if I don't know what you are going to say :rofl:

They want this bird to go to an aviary home with other budgies ideally, but I think it has been in a cage. Would it be able to cope with going from indoors to outdoors? With the colder months and unpredictable weather on it's way, I would be worried about killing the poor thing.

Thanks,

Ali

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it would be okay if you get the bird soonish. The Met Office predicts that it will remain at average or above average in terms of temperature for the rest of September, but there may be periods of rain or stormy showers.

I would be more concerned about integrating a new budgie into your flock.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Mmmm yeah you probably need to acclimate it well. How many months is it until it gets colder than what you think the new bird can tolerate?

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Mmmm yeah you probably need to acclimate it well. How many months is it until it gets colder than what you think the new bird can tolerate?
Well any time soon really. Our weather is all over the place at the moment

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Eeeek! How do you keep the ones in your aviary warm? Is it just insulated or is there any sort of heating going on?

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Eeeek! How do you keep the ones in your aviary warm? Is it just insulated or is there any sort of heating going on?
They have all always been outdoor since they hatched. They are used to it. Survived 3 winters so far.