• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anna does not like mornings

Barcann

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Barbara
Hi everyone
Do any of you have a too that is aggressive in the mornings. I basically can do anything with Anna. She is very sweet with me.
But not in the mornings!
She flies aggressively towards me when I try to open the door to her aviary.
It is even difficult to feed her through the small door where her feeding tray is. She flies aggressively there too, flapping her wings. Sometimes we can't give her food or water until close to noon.
We clean her aviary on Sundays, so I remove her from the aviary and put her in the smaller cage. She likes the small cage because it is closer to the house and she can see everything we do.
This morning I couldn't get near her. I tempted her with treats. She wouldn't
budge.
I scratched her head. She liked that. ..did not attack but would not come to me.
whenever I enter her aviary she always comes to me, bu not in the mornings.
This is relatively recent behavior. She used to do it once in awhile but now it is every morning.
By mid day into the afternoon she is her usual sweet self.
Does anyone have any insight to her behavior and any advice for how to handle it?
Thanks in advance.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
MC is an Amazon but hates mornings. If he doesn't wake up slowly, he will charge me when I'm at his food door.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton is a grump in the mornings...during the summer. Our schedule is everyone gets uncovered at 6:30 AM...sharp...the sun has already been up for some time, of course. Milty figures that when the sun comes up...it's breakfast time...when he HAS to wait, he gets antsy and grumpy.
The opposite is true in the winter, when the sun doesn't come up until almost 8 o'clock...Milt is very lethargic at 6:30...and doesn't really get going until he starts to see it getting brighter....so we just uncover him and let him be.

The advantages of a regular schedule far outweigh letting Milty sleep in in the winter and wake up earlier in the summer...

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Fred has to see sunshine. He's very low key on cloudy rainy days, in the morning, it depends how early. If I go to work for 5am, I don't bother him until I get home in the early afternoon. If I have to go to work for 7, and I try to give him fresh water and food, I get hissed at. He doesn't like to be bothered before 10am. But we're night owls, we work days and Fred comes out when one of us gets home, and he goes to bed between 8:30-9:30, like clockwork. We have a routine that works for us. Today and Wednesday I am home all day, so he'll come out about 10, and be out all day playing around the house. He's a good boy, he only sits on his furniture and toys in parts of the house where he goes. He also knows which blanket is his on the back of the sofa, and he sits on that. He's excellent.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Fred has to see sunshine. He's very low key on cloudy rainy days, in the morning, it depends how early. If I go to work for 5am, I don't bother him until I get home in the early afternoon. If I have to go to work for 7, and I try to give him fresh water and food, I get hissed at. He doesn't like to be bothered before 10am. But we're night owls, we work days and Fred comes out when one of us gets home, and he goes to bed between 8:30-9:30, like clockwork. We have a routine that works for us. Today and Wednesday I am home all day, so he'll come out about 10, and be out all day playing around the house. He's a good boy, he only sits on his furniture and toys in parts of the house where he goes. He also knows which blanket is his on the back of the sofa, and he sits on that. He's excellent.
Wow! He's like a saint cockatoo!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I am loving all your comments. Our birds sure have their own personalities don't they?
so I guess we do it Anna's way LOL
Thanks everyone
They are all individuals. Just like humans!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Good or bad, I'm always excited for your updates. :pinklol3:

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Both of our birds come and go by the daylight. Bo, our Amazon, is awake at the crack of dawn and is ready for breakfast.

Miss Coco (M2), is not a morning girl, but not aggressive at all. She just sort of watches out of her cage, still shaking off the night’s sleep.

At the end of the day, once it starts getting dark, both are ready for nite nite.

That’s why I like winters better!