• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

And more snake questions, i ask...

Cockatoo-Dust

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
I know you need to monitor the temperature and the humidity in a snake's inclosure, but what should it be for a corn snake? Any types of heating pads you prefer? How exactly do you set the thermometer and heating pad up in the tank/bin? Do you put the heating pad under the tank/bin itself, or put in inside and bedding/dirt/moss on top of it?
Sorry for the lot of specific questions, lol, i like to know what i'm doing and how to do it before i do it.
Still quite a long time before i even get a snake, but still, research is awesome.
336 days until i can get a snake, as of January 29 2015, lol.

Kerplunq

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ryan
For heating setup, its actually rather easy! I would go small heating pad on just one side of the tank. That way it has a warm side and a cool side. Snakes can't regulate their own body heat, so thats why its ideal for them to have two different sides. You place the heat mat on the bottom of the tank, not inside tank, the reason is the poor baby can get burnt. Next, I would purchase a heat mat regulator. I will post a pic of it. Cost me like $30 on Amazon. Then you set the regulator to the heat you want it on and it will shut the power off on it when and if it gets too hot. I would extremely recommend a digital infrared thermometer. They are the most accurate.

Here is the Heat mat regulator that I use
DSC_0220.JPG

Kerplunq

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ryan
That heat mat is a large. Get your size of tank first, then pick out a heat mat. I use a med in my 30GAL tank. But you are on the right path :D Keep at the research and in no time you will have a fantastic home set up for your new friend