• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

An old discussion Revisited

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
I see that 2009 I started a thread, on clipping V flighted.
I have been reviewing it!
The first thing I see, is that my ideals, reasons, and feelings, are still the same today.
But now I can be far more factual or the pros and cons of clipping.

Clipping or Not?????? | Page 11 | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Yes I know this will rattle a few cages! But that is me, when it comes down to bird welfare.

So jumping right in.
Absolutely wonderful that countries are banning this cruel practice.
How anybody can justify without very good reasons, that any form of crippling can be justified!
I can now add that YES it does impact on them, both physically and mentally.
This is due to the number of people I have spent time talking to.
We know for sure lack of a full cardiovascular workout (Flight) can lead to a shorter life.
Self confidence.
Barbering.
Skin mutilation.
Plucking.
And other behavior could be related to handicapping.
Muscle atrophy from lack of use. This is certainly a biggy.
Having worked with a number of birds that were clipped, I see this sad result.
If you have a healthy bird that was allowed to fully develop when young, It is most likely it can fly away from you.
This is where it gets BAD for the bird. Flown high in a tree and not have the ability (Seen as scared or reluctant) to fly down safely. Due to not being able to feather the air to descend. Due to the damaged flights.

Flighted birds are generally healthier, which in turn leads to a better eating habit, and a more confident around you and other people.

What rubbish that it is a personal choice. Let the poor bird decide!
If you follow forums and Facebook groups you will of seen the comments from people who have just clipped their birds and SEE how depressed the bird has become.
Wake Up. This is what you do to a bird when you take away it's main mode of transport.
What do you expect?

What has become my fav. "Modify your home to suit your bird. Not modify the bird to suit you.

You would not do this to any other pet! Well at least I hope you are more human than that.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Amen to what you wrote. My budgies flight feathers were cut by breeder before fledging. It took 9 months for flights to grow back. Learning to fly for them was not easy. Kept hitting the ceiling. Now they fly well. Many breeders cut flight feathers for some reason.

Love your "fav"

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I feel it is the same as either breaking or amputating a dogs legs.
I most likely would not have had an opinion about clipped wings in the past but after loosing a fair bit of my own mobility and knowing how frustrated and often depressed I feel about the things I want to do and can not, I feel that any living creature will be likely to have a major negative experience or hard time adjusting to the lack of mobility that they were used to or know they should have.
I understand that it (clipping) makes it easier for the humans to interact and control the situations (in the start) but I really do feel for the birds who I believe must be rather confused and frustrated, possibly even feeling very vulnerable.
I think that unless I personally witness a clipped bird gaining confidence and happiness that it did not previously have after loosing its flight ability, I will always dislike this practice. I highly doubt that I will ever see a bird who has been clipped showing signs of being happier and more secure after being clipped, so I doubt I will ever feel different about it.

I think people just need to learn to accept their birds as they are (healthy with functioning wings) and work with the bird at its own pace, forced companionship and interactions must be absolute torture for the birds.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Both of my birds had clipped wings when I adopted them, and I have witnessed how much more of their true personality comes through with their ability to fly :)

The newest, Luna, launched like a meatball into the air when he first arrived -- missing a few of his key flight feathers. Now, he is sure in both his take off and landing, and we are working on his cardio health so hes not so winded when he does :heart:

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Have I not posted about Croky? An Eclectus with 18 primaries chopped off.
YES he can still fly, and that is why he was in so much danger of injury. With so many feathers clipped he could only fly at speed. And landings were HORRIBLE. And very dangerous.

Well the good news is that even though No new flights have grown in, he has managed to learn control of his landings.
His owner puts this down to attending just two of our Indoor Flight Club meetings.

So what does this tell the pro clipping people? Clipping does not mean safety.
if after clipping your bird does not fly, it may well be it is unhealthy. Or it may of been clipped way too early in it's life. And was never allowed to fully develop. This is so common in the USA.
SAD fact. Hopefull these people will learn to understand their birds needs better.

YouTube

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Clipping at a young age also affects brain development. Here is an article I could find quickly, but I also read about it in a bird magazine recently. Will try to find that later. If a person is going to clip a bird's wings, I think they should at least be allowed to fledge and develop their flight skills.
Wing Clipping Articles – Adventures of Roku

This was the article I meant, page 26:) It is the same article though basically! The pics are just a bit different.
http://www.hagen.com/hari/pdf/ParrotLife_5.pdf

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh @TikiMyn, have you ever watched the adventures of Roku on you tube? I love watching Roku and Korra they are beautiful birds and Brody (their slave) is a really lovely guy with a lot of information. They have been on tv a few times being interviewed about free flight.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Oh @TikiMyn, have you ever watched the adventures of Roku on you tube? I love watching Roku and Korra they are beautiful birds and Brody (their slave) is a really lovely guy with a lot of information. They have been on tv a few times being interviewed about free flight.
I have!:heart: It is such a joy to see those birds enjoying their freedom:heart:Did you see the videos where they showed what the birds do when they sense a predator?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So what does this tell the pro clipping people? Clipping does not mean safety.

How many times do we communicate this on deaf ears! It goes along with docking the tail of a specific breed of dog, removing the claws of a cat and sometimes removing the ability of a dog to bark. These are things that humans do to animals for their benefit, not the animals! Thanks you @clawnz for you input here. I do not get a video with the link your provided.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
For some reason I am having trouble with adding the link?

On You Tube it is titled "Clipping Does Not Work"

The annoying thing is that Croky can fly as well as Alex, and is far more keen to fly.

Will Alex every fully recover? No! I doubt it.

And then we had Jack at the same meetings, he has never been handicapped and you can see him "Thinking on the wing" the way he looks to land somewhere and then moves on, for another lap.
YouTube

Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
All of my birds are flighted! They were clipped as babies (The zons) but my beloved Jen was not clipped and she wasn't a skilled flyer. My Amazons are skilled ( Hoosier) more than Kazoo. He fly's good but he's a heavy boy. A very skilled flyer can take off from the ground and go up on a whim, both boys can do this. I agree with health! Birds move oxygen through their bodies with flight. Very healthy, burns calories, lowers cholesterol and for confidence no doubt!

Our Sophie came from the rescue with a very slight clip, slightest I have ever seen. The rescue wasn't keen on when we responded that ours are not. But for health was our reason, and she understood and that didn't sway a decision against us.

I believe birds should be able to be as nature created wings and feathers and a design to fly. If you are going to have a flighted bird, by all means I will say the same thing. "DUE DILIGENCE" and a home safe to allow. Being aware all the time when your birds are out and where they are. A safe room, screen in patio, lanai or aviary is of choice.

Great post, glad to revisit this. :) for those who may ask.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Henkie was clipped when he came home to his previous caretaker by the pet shop(one wing, ouch) but never with me. I am not sure how well he was allowed to fledge considering the small cage in the pet shop with no knowledge of the breeder, but he is an excellent flier. Just today he was sitting on the floor and flew straight up, and I mean straight, like a helicopter. Fëanor was clipped at 7 months or so, but flighed before. He was so good at flying his previous owners couldn’t catch him to put him back in his cage so they cut his wings. He could fly very well with clipped wings as well. Once his flights grew in he was one big muscular bird and took off like a rocket:D

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
As I cannot seem to get the vid URL to work try this.

It seems to be working.
And I do have some good videos up there.

clawinnz - YouTube