• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

An IRN flew onto my patio!!!

MommaZeus

Moving in
Hi everyone! I'm still in complete shock, but an Indian Ringneck flew onto our patio!!!! We heard a loud bang against our window and opened the blinds to find it hanging onto our patio door. We opened the door and it flew inside!! My husband gave it some millets and it flew onto his hand without hesitation. So I guess it’s very hand tamed. Luckily we had an extra cage laying around to put it in. It’s currently safe and eating vigorously. Poor thing probably escaped from someone’s house and is starving and scared. We’ll leave it alone for now. Tomorrow we’ll take better pictures of it and post flyers around to see if there’s anyone looking for it. If not, we’d love for it to join our flock.

We think it's an adult male bc the rosy ring around its neck is prominent and its irises dilate. I have 2 budgies and 1 parrotlet in my flock and they get along very well, but they are A LOT smaller than this new guy. So his larger size kinda scares me as I've never handled any bird larger than budgies. Also, my corgi is very tolerant of my small birds flying around him (supervised, of course), but now worry how he'll react to this new guy's larger size.

We know absolutely nothing about IRN, except that they have the cutest voices when speaking. Please educate me on what I need to do to care properly for him. Thanks so much!

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Please educate me on what I need to do to care properly for him. Thanks so much!
Thanks for taking him in. :)

He does look rather young because his ring is still coming in. If you can't find his owner, he'll be a great addition to your flock. ;)

IRNs are intelligent and independent birds. As for foods, ours loved veggies...and apples, for some reason. We fed our Titan a 60% pellet/ 30% "chop"/10% seed diet...you can experiment on the percentages with him as you see fit.

IRNs love to fly...and are normally very reserved (cautious) about being handled...well, people's hands, period. Titan loved bells...sleeping with his head IN a bell at times. He was into soft wood shredding and swings.

Titan enjoyed people and interacting with them...just as long as they didn't try to touch him. ;) He was our first "birdie ambassador"...making countless visits to nursing homes, schools, etc all his life, beginning at 6 months of age. He was hand raised, came to us just after weaning, and never bit anyone...in 26 years.

As for right now, I'd imagine you are doing a strict quarantine with him...he looks in good shape, but you must protect your budgies and p'let.

Hopefully, you'll be able to find his owner soon...if not, like I said, he'd make a great addition to your flock...:)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
so I'll do the posters tomorrow too

May I suggest... Not putting a picture on the poster. Or even much detail.

Write a poster saying , found green parakeet, or something vague. Last thing you want is someone saying ah yes I lost an IRN when they haven´t. Let them tell you what bird they lost.

Maybe the local avian vet might be able to help you locate their owner.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

Write a poster saying , found green parakeet, or something vague. Last thing you want is someone saying ah yes I lost an IRN when they haven´t. Let them tell you what bird they lost.
..excellent suggestion...;)

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Any news about the owners? I'd have posters plastered around by now if I were them.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
A microchip scan is a really good idea. I chip my birds. Most vets will have a reader and would be willing to help, I would hope!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Maybe the local avian vet might be able to help you locate their owner.

Absolutely Grand idea! Who made you so smart? :teacher:

MommaZeus

Moving in
Good news everyone! His name is Greg and he belongs to my neighbor a few doors down! She was away on a business trip and her friend was changing his food and water when he escaped. She said she's been devastated since Thursday night when she found out. She got back in town this morning and was ecstatic to see the HOA email about him. She just came over to pick him up and provided pictures of them together for proof of ownership. I knew he was a beloved pet bc he eats straight out of my hand, devoured blueberries and peanuts in the shell, and even sat on my shoulder last night. Ugggghhh...he's just the sweetest thing, but I'm just so happy we found his mama!! I offered to babysit him next time she's away and told her about getting him microchipped per y'all's advice. Thanks again everyone for your encouragement and advice!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:fairy2: Yay! And great idea offering to babysit. :yes1: