• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amigo is getting some training, today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mare

Hit the Road
The, "OMG, BLOODY NO!", command, got re-enforced. Our son came over today, to help us in the yard. Amigo jumped him, by jumped him, I mean, he flew at my son and landed on him with intent to harm. My son was quick and flung his shoulders, as such, to knock Amigo off balance and move off. This worked but it didn't deter Amigo, he proceeded to stalk our son. My husband pulled out the pressure water sprayer and Amigo got a few lessons in, not how to act, when our son is around. Needless to say, Amigo has had a couple of strong showers today. It actually helped, in regards to being respectful. It didn't hurt him but made him take notice of his actions.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
re: Amigo is getting some training, today.

This is not how you train him NOT to act.:( This is abuse.:mad:

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran

Pressure washers are VERY strong, I would not ever spray him with one again.

Mare

Hit the Road

Bokkapooh, please help me, in all your wisdom, what would be a better way to stop an attacking U2? I don't consider this abuse, the tank was not full of pressure and it was aimed at his feet. Abuse would have been a bat or shotgun. This abuse towards my son has gone on long enough. Amigo needs to learn some manners, while still living along side us, outside.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

I think Amigo needs a new home if your going to allow this abuse onto him. This is like hitting a bird. Yelling at a bird. Pinching toes or flicking beaks. Spraying a bird with a regular spray bottle when it's naughty is abuse. Spraying him with a full on pressure washer!!! :mad:

You say you want Amigo happy? But clearly he isnt.

To stop negative behavior you use POSITIVE reinforcement. Amigo will NEVER learn from abuse. Whether from pressure washer or hitting or leaving him outside on his own without a flock. He will never learn to correct his behavior by your ways of doing it.

This just breaks my heart.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Learn manners?!! Amigo is a BIRD. A BIRD. They eat with their feet and step in their poop and poop on us. MANNERS?!!!!

I have 5 male cockatoos! Very sexual, very territorial, cockatoos. Its easy to train a cockatoo using positive reinforcement. But a wild animal will always be a wild animal. We humans must work around and with their natural behaviors to see a positive change. Abuse doesn't help. Ever.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny

I agree with Mercedez. Sensitive creatures like our fids don't learn from negative consequences. It does nothing to foster a trusting and fulfilling relationship and certainly doesn't help him to feel safer in his flock.

This has gone on for a while? What other methods have you tried to stop the attacks on your son? There are members here that have had birds that bite/dive bomb either themselves or family members that have not resorted to such methods. Full blast or not... aimed at his feet or at his face, it may teach a lesson but it's not a good one.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia

:( Maybe the presence of your son threatens him in some way...Amigo may only be trying to protect himself. I hope this does not stop him in any way from trying to protect himself from the true predators he is exposed to as a free flying bird.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Omg, please don't do that to him. That is abuse. You can't teach a bird "manners". They are a wild animal, not a person

If you don't want him attacking your son when he is over then put him in his cage until he leaves. Some birds just don't like people, like people don't like people..

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Stevos fiancee has to take on Danny a YNA. A beautiful large adult male yellow naped amazon. And those guys are crazier than umbrella cockatoos. And she could give you LOADS of info on how she handles him. No abuse is needed to live with an aggressive bird.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Another thing is bird's don't learn RESPECT. They don't know and will never know what that is.

They learn trust.

Trust is your friend. Trust is the building block of all...ALL...relationships.

Calvin&Hobbes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Calvin

Animal abuse is the infliction of suffering or harm upon animals. Using a pressure water sprayer can easily cause internal injuries that we cannot see from the outside. I wouldn't consider using a bat or shotgun on a bird abuse, it should be considered as torture with the intent to inflict injuries and trying to kill the bird.

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy

Hi there I am only new at this and I hope you don't mind me chipping in but I am starting to understand the difference between positive and negative reinforcement. I think there is a chance that Amigo may come to associate your son with the "lessons" or punishments you are giving. That is in Amigo's mind son = nasty experience with pressure washer. Is there any way your son could provide a positive experience frequently and regularly that might make Amigo see him in a better light? There are some great sites which teach positive reinforcement Goodbird is one - but you could google more. I feel for you cos it has hard when you get into a negative cycle and it can be difficult to find the right way out, but it really, really won't be doing any good to treat Amigo badly. And of course as the human in the mix it is definitely down to you to make the difference and lead the way. Good luck :)

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay

I'm a little confused here as to Amigo's role in your life, quite frankly. Is he a possession that needs to be taught "manners", or is he respected as a free and wild animal choosing to defend what you have clearly said in the past is his territory?

avianxandra

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alex

Uh, I'd say that's... most certainly abusive. :(

And, you DON'T know that you haven't caused injuries.

Also, he's a wild animal and has instincts that you cannot control and you have to work around, not WORK AGAINST.

Last edited:

Mare

Hit the Road

This is a bird that has instincts, is aloud to be free, and attacks my son when he is here. I will normally lock Amigo up when my son comes over. Today was different.
Are you telling me that you don't have boundaries where your birds are concerned?! :confused: And my question was, how would you handle this? Amigo wasn't hurt, he was backed off.

This is, a free, in all practicality, wild-ish bird.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris

In my opinion it would be a really good idea for you to step back and rethink using a pressure hose on Amigo. If your son was acting up would you use a pressure hose or better yet for size comparison a fire hose on him?

Have your son work with him by offering him a favored treat that he only gets from him. There are many positive reinforcement methods you can use. Please read up on positive reinforcement training. I think you will gain a much better understand of how to work through this issue if you do

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

avianxandra

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alex

By having this bird.... you agreed to take on all of this. IMO.
And should handle things the right way. Just make a board asking for advice and actually listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.