• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazons at the rescue

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I visited the local parrot rescue this week (AZ Exotic Bird Rescue). I always have such mixed feelings for the birds. I know that many are much better off than before coming to the rescue, but I feel sad for the birds, especially the large macaws, locked in cages. They all have clean water, clean toys, food and vet care, but what they really need is a home with time out of the cage, or in the case of some of the more wild birds, an aviary.

The last couple times that I have been to the rescue, I have really been taken by the amazons. The 50 yr. old amazon was still there (reportedly an ex-breeder). The poor guy spends a lot of time laying on his stomach on a shelf. He is missing the tips of a couple toes but his feet otherwise look normal. I cant help but think he must have arthritis. Seeing him lay on his belly breaks my heart. It is all I can do not to bring him home. He does stand up and maneuver to the food and water bowl, and he did stand on one leg while consuming a nut (that he gently took from me) with his other foot. I suspect that he is overweight, and some weight loss might help his mobility.

Then there was Buddy. This boy just stole my heart! He is a 21 yoa amazon in full beautiful feather. He immediately came up to the side of the cage and put his head down for me to scratch. He showed off for me, talked up a storm and clearly was very interested in interacting. His cage was in a darker part of the room and the rescue kindly moved it near the window at my request. When I re-visited him again a few minutes later in his new location, he was already repeating what I had said! "Look at you!" He then let me rub his feet while clinging to the cage bars next to me. I am beginning to see the allure of an amazon! I am ashamed to say that I dont remember what type of amazon he was, I think a yellow head or double yellow headed amazon.

The other sweeties included an amazon whose eye is grossly protruding out (has seen a vet), the amazon with the malformed broken wing sticking out at an odd angle (has also seen a vet), and the naked sun conures desperately trying to cuddle with their lifeless toys. :(

I wish I could take them all home. If you are in Phoenix and thinking about an amazon or other bird, I highly recommend checking these birdies out.

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
Why didn't you take Buddy home with you? It's rare to find a bird that just clicks like the way he did with a complete stranger in a matter of minutes. I love amazons too.

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
Oh, Lord, you just broke my heart! I would take those zons in a NY minute! I have a real soft spot for the old/handicapped ones...

Mara&Lilo

Meeting neighbors
Oh that is so sad. Poor little birds. :( This BFA looks like pretty much as my male. Hope for them to find a good place to live.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I also think the one who asked to be your friend would be a fine addition to your home ;)

I always said I'd never have an amazon either. Well, I learned I was wrong, and when an amazon is your friend, it's a very special thing indeed :heart:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you guys for the replies! I am so tempted to bring them BOTH home. However, I have my maroon belly conure girl and my caique boy to also think of. I work 10-12 hour days and when I am home, the two parrots are out with me while I cook dinner, take a shower, read before bed....I realize that an amazon would probably not need to interact at that level, but i have to think long and hard about whether I could provide a good quality of life for them and my birds. I've had my two parrots for almost 13 yrs. now, so they really feel entitled to my time.I think the older bird would be less of an issue, as I think he just wants a safe and quiet place where he can look out the window.

I have a feeling that even though Buddy is 21 yoa, he is physically at a younger age. He was absolutely beautiful. There was no doubt he was showing off for me. But, my caique thinks he is the man of the house and I fear that keeping him away from an amazon who could surely injure or kill him might be difficult. I will think about it though. :)

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We have those two older blue front amazons and I can't imagine my life without them.