• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon Spotlight of the Month: Mealy Amazons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Monica, Sam is beautiful. I love the pictures of her. What an adorable bird she is.

Shadera

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Shadera
Here's Nia. She's a Guatemalan blue crown mealy. We've been working with her for more than a year to overcome some serious issues she has, but she's still a very sweet bird. I love the mealies, they're so pionus-like.

Attachments

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Shadera, I love Nia as you know :heart:

Another thing I wanted to point out is that they are very strong with their feet, heads, bodies. The things that he is able to pick up easily.......the other day I had to get a small wrench tool away from him. Pens, tiny screw drivers like a tech set not huge but middle sized just amazes me.

When I catch him rumaging through stuff on my desk like pens........I go "KAZOO!!" and he drops is so fast he almost throws it like "Oh S_ _ _ _! I am so busted :rofl:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
OMg that is so true about their strength...when Apollo needs to get his nails grooms he makes a balled up fist and my groomers really have to try hard to get his toes out! lol A vice grip!

Big.Green.Chicken

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
I love the Superman photo of Sam! If only Kelly becomes like that.
How do you tell how old they are? Someone said they thought Kelly looked young?

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
Monica!!!! :rofl: Those pics of Sam are just adorable! Super Sam :hehe: I'm finding just how gentle these guys are to be amazing. They are truly unique in the amazon world.

Interesting about the feet and their strength...you could get an idea just looking at those big feet (lovable thing about them :heart:) They are so strong and yet do not use it against the ones they are close to.

Shadera - Nia is just gorgeous, the close ups of her are breathtaking!

Ann - Do you think you might be able to get some more pics of Kelly? Maybe some of the folks here might be able to tell a little more if Kelly's age can be estimated. Especially since a number have had their mealy since they were babies and have seen the changes over time or what kind of mealy Kelly is.

TITANIS

Excellent thread with a lot of good information. Thank you for choosing this Amazon species to focus on Shauna. It's unfortunate they aren't that common everywhere. Love everybody's Mealy pictures and maybe later I will post a few from my comprehensive collection. In the mean time, I'd love to see more pictures and read more stories! :cool10:

Jadie

Real Name
Jade
Shadera, Nia is just beautiful! I've never seen a Guatemalan blue crown. If you have anymore photos, please post them!:D

They do have great foot strength! Although I have a lazy boy who rather prop whatever he has in his mouth against a surface lol.

Jadie

Real Name
Jade
Ohhh I just saw the pics of Sam mealy...Ugh she is soo cute:heart:, love the superSAM pic! Monica ...the foot, doesn't it kill you? I swear Charlie can get whatever he wants just by lifting his little foot, I don't know what it is. Charlie is also a very sllloowww eater lol, I though it was just him but good to know Sam is a slow eater too. I guess they like to savor their food :).

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
Ann - Do you think you might be able to get some more pics of Kelly? Maybe some of the folks here might be able to tell a little more if Kelly's age can be estimated. Especially since a number have had their mealy since they were babies and have seen the changes over time or what kind of mealy Kelly is.
Our new one is brave around toys in the cage. She is even more intimidated and scared of us and anything in our hands. I would rather wait before taking a lot of pictures. What exact part of her body do I need to take a picture of in order to get help determining her age?

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Our new one is brave around toys in the cage. She is even more intimidated and scared of us and anything in our hands. I would rather wait before taking a lot of pictures. What exact part of her body do I need to take a picture of in order to get help determining her age?
Whole body shots too, but in focus shots of eyes, beak and feet are especially helpful.

TITANIS

Their coloring in lighting can range to the most beautiful lime green. They also love water, love showers and can incredibly lift their nape feathers almost like a Hawkhead parrot.
Yes, the nape feathers on a Mealy are very large and can be raised to form what appears like a collar. It was hard to find videos of this and even though they're only fleeting glimpses, this is the best I can do:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire

"I know, Mom says I look like one of those stuff toy Christmas trees"

You can see Kazoo does have a tiny yellow feather on top of his head. Subtle, but it's there.

Last edited:

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
Love those vids Titanis, I'm reminded of a hawkhead looking at those nape feathers flared out that way. I was hoping to hear from you on this post. Missed hearing from you on last month's spotlight on MRH's ;)

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Titanis, great videos! Thanks so much for sharing them.

Claire, great pics!!!!

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I mentioned how s-l-o-w Sam Mealy is about eating. I can only get her to eat fresh veggies outside of her cage. If I leave it in, it goes untouched. SO...we have a nightly ritual.

I prepare a plate of fresh fruit/veggies and settle in to read, or like tonight, watch a movie. (By the way, Grand Torino was really good!)

I start the video, and set down the plate.
DSCN2659.jpg

She'll just look at it for a good 15 minutes. Then she will give a big STRETCH and pin her eyes. This means she is finally going to start to EAT. (Titanis, did you catch the yellow/pink of her wrist on this stretch? I had my camera ready.)
DSCN2662.jpg

"hmmm, what's on the menu today?" she thinks, as she pokes through the food.
DSCN2670.jpg

Slowly but surely, she will have eaten a good portion of the food by the end of the movie, and I am satisfied.
DSCN2673.jpg

Recently, Ollie has come to join in to feast. Sam Mealy is very good about sharing.:heart:
DSCN2680.jpg

For those of you wondering about Gertie, she prefers eating her veggies inside her cage. Anything outside is considered toys to FLING across the room.

And that is my evening with my fids!

Last edited:

BirdyGirl

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Erica
Oh my gosh! The picture of "Superbird" is just too cute!

Status
Not open for further replies.