• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon Spotlight of the Month: Mealy Amazons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
Well since so much curiosity about the affectionately called the gentle giants of the amazon world, it seems appropriate to put the spotlight on this green gem to share info and experiences. As you can see there are a a number of subspecies of mealy.

From the AvianWeb:
Mealy Amazon Parrot

Useful Webpages: General Information about Amazon Parrots ... Amazon Species ... Amazon Photo Gallery .... The Diseases of the Amazon Parrots ... Amazon Nutrition / Diet ... Amazon Parrot Incubation Data

Books, DVDs and Other Media about Amazons (Sold / shipped out of:
|
|
|
)
Listing of Amazon Breeders

The Mealy Parrot (Amazona farinosa) is one of the largest Amazon parrot species. The species is called the Mealy Amazon in the United States and the Blue-crowned Mealy Parrot in the United Kingdom.
The Mealy Parrot has a range from southern Mexico south into south-eastern Colombia, Peru, Venezuela, northern Bolivia and eastern Brazil; where they commonly inhabit the sparse Amazon Rainforest.

This parrots, although still relatively common in most of their range, has declined locally due to habitat loss and trapping for the pet trade. Trafficking of the birds is illegal in many nations, but the species are still smuggled into the United States from Mexico. In some areas Mealy Amazons are hunted as food.
The Mealy Amazon is commonly bred in captivity.

Description:
The Mealy Parrots are social and can usually be found in pairs or in large flocks. They are even known to interact with other parrots, such as macaws. They are usually quiet, but can get loud at dusk and dawn.
Mealy Parrots average 38-41 cm (15 - 17 inches) in length, including its tail and typically weigh between 540 to 700 g (19.01-24.64 ounces). Some Mealy parrots, however, are much larger than this.
Though less colorful than related parrot species, Mealy Parrots have a patch of blue, purple, or violet on the top of their heads. Along with the purple or blue crown, Mealy Parrot sometimes have patches of yellow on the head and usually have a green or mostly green body, with tail feathers being light green or lime at the tip. Some Mealy Parrots have a light blue/teal sheen to their green coat, and an undercoat of yellow, blue, purple, red, and/or teal. The beaks are usually yellowish. The eyes are a reddish-orange color, and underneath the eyes are usually white unfeathered rings.
Similar Species ID: In South America, it is commonly confused with the Yellow-crowned Amazon, but can be recognized by its larger size. It also has less yellow to the crown - although that is not entirely reliable, as some Yellow-crowned Amazons may show almost none. They have a whitish tinge to their plumage and broader white eye-rings. Also, the red of the leading edge of the wing is placed near the phalanx (not near the radiale), but this is often difficult to see (especially on perched birds). Their voices are also very different.

This species is often divided into subspecies:

Breeding / Reproduction:
When Mealy Parrots reach sexual maturity they usually form monogamous relationships with a single partner. Courtship usually begins in early spring, starting in December through June.
The hen will usually lay three eggs, which she incubates for 24 - 28 days. The male will eat for both himself and the female during the incubation period. He will regurgitate the food for the female to eat. He will also help feed the chicks after hatching. The young usually leave the nest at around eight weeks of age.

Diet / Feeding:
Their natural diet consists of fruits (including berries), seeds, nuts, blossoms, and leaf buds. The Mealy Amazon sometimes feeds on human crops (especially corn) and may be considered a crop pest.

Personality and Behavioral Guidance:
All amazons can be aggressive but the Mealy Amazons are considered the gentle giants of the Amazon parrots and is not a naturally aggressive species. They are described as the gentlest and calmest of all amazon parrots. They generally have a docile temperament and tend to get along well with other birds.
The noise level and talking abilities vary greatly amongst this species. There are some quiet birds amongst them -- but others can get very noisy. In fact, their voices can carry over a mile. Mealies enjoy repeating a phrase over and over; each time using a different inflection.
Amazon ownership generally presents multiple challenges, such as excessive chewing - especially at certain stages in their life. They do discover their beaks as method of "disciplining us" once they are out of the "baby stage" and they can generally be somewhat naughty, and it really is important to learn to understand them and to guide their behavior before an undesirable behavior has been established. Aggressive behavior is especially common in "hormonal" amazons. Undisciplined amazons will chew on electric wiring potentially causing house fires. They regard anything in your home as a "toy" that can be explored and chewed on; destroying items that you may hold dear or are simply valuable.
Even a young bird that has not been neglected and abused requires proper guidance; this becomes even more challenging when it involves a rescued bird that may require rehabilitation.
Behavioral challenges that amazon present may include:
  • Excessive Chewing: Any parrot will chew. In nature, they use their beak to "customize" their favorite tree, to enlarge the size of their nest in a tree hollow. Doing this keeps their beaks in good condition. The problem is excessive and undesirable chewing. Undisciplined parrots will chew on electric wiring potentially causing house fires. The owner needs to provide plenty of "healthy" chewing opportunities (bird toys, natural wood branches, etc.) and training is necessary to teach an amazon parrot what is fine to chew on and what is "off-limits."
  • Biting & Hormonal Behavior:

Dominant Behavior: Amazon Parrots, as most parrots, are likely to discover their beaks as a method of "disciplining us" once they are out of the "baby stage." It really is important to learn to understand them and to guide their behavior before an undesirable behavior has been established.
    • Training is vital to stop this aggressive behavior.
Hormonal Aggression: Amazon parrots are also known for their "hormonal" aggression phase. This phase usually appears between the ages of 5 to 12 years. During this time there will be one to two years in which they are likely to be very aggressive. Fortunately, once they go through this, they generally settle down with little or no aggression shown outside the breeding season - with some aggression, but to a lesser degree, when they are in breeding condition.

Amazons going through that stage are difficult to handle for many but the most experienced amazon owners. Species such as Lilac Crowns and Mealies are less excitable than other amazon species during the breeding season. Females tend to be calmer than males during this phase. An attack by a hormonal male can be vicious and will not be limited to one bite.

Many bird owners are bewildered by the fact that their previously so cuddly pet suddenly turns on them - their primary caretakers. To add insult to injury, their pet may pick another family member as their favorite. Dr. Jill Patt describes this being similar to a wild bird leaving its parents and choosing a mate. She suggests the following ways of dealing with it:
    1. Understand that this is a natural behavior.
    2. Have the family member the bird has picked limit their interaction with your bird, spend time with the bird when that family member is absent, and ensure that only you are the one to provide all favorite treats and activities.
    3. The environment can also be altered somewhat to attempt to reduce breeding behavior. Limiting the daylight hours to mimic a winter sun will often help.
    4. In some instances, the vet may prescribe drugs that balance out a pet's hormones.
    5. Click here for more information on reducing hormonal behavior in birds.
  • Calling / Voicing / Screaming: Not everybody can tolerate the natural loud call of an amazon, and even though it can't (or should not) be entirely eliminated, there are ways to discourage screaming / screeching. Amazon parrots are excellent talkers though, and their natural loud call can be replaced with human speech with a little bit of training. Fortunately, they are quick learners.
Training and behavioral guidance will help your pet be the kind of companion you want it to be ...
  • AvianWeb Resources: I put together web resources for you to help you understand your pet bird and properly direct him. Please visit this website for valuable tips on parrot behavior and training. If you found a way to resolve a "parrot behavioral issue" please share it with others.
  • If you are, as I am, a visual learner and prefer step-by-step instructions to train your pet, I recommend:

If you are considering one of these magnificent parrots as pets, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000077DEU?tag=avianhealth&link_code=as3&creativeASIN=B000077DEU&creative=373489&camp=211189please visit the following websites for information:

Taxonomy:
Species: Scientific: Amazona farinosa farinosa ... English: Mealy Amazon ... Dutch: Grote Amazone, Geschimmelde Amazone ... German: Mülleramazone ... French: Amazone meunier
Sub-Species / Races Including Nominate: guatemalae, virenticeps, inornata, chapmani, farinosa ... CITES II - Endangered Speci
Related Web Resources: Lexicon of Parrots

Sub-species:

Blue-crowned Amazons

Chapman's Mealy Amazons:
Description: Similar to the Mealy Parrot (A.f. inornata) described and featured, but larger. Taxonomists often question the validity of this subspecies, considering them to be unusually large.
Distribution: South-eastern Colombia, Ecuador, Northern Peru, North-eastern Bolivia
Species: Scientific: Amazona farinosa chapmani ... English: Chapman's Mealy Amazon ... Dutch: Chapmans Geschimmelde Amazone ... German: Chapmans Mülleramazone ... French: Amazone de Chapman
CITES II - Endangered Species
Related Web Resources: Lexicon of Parrots (please scroll down to no. 2 - click on link to view photo)

Costa-Rica Mealy Amazons aka Green-headed Amazons:
Description: Average length: 38 cm or 15.2 inches. They have a yellow carpel edge. The overall feathering tends to be more yellowish.
Distribution: Westernmost Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua
Species: Scientific: Amazona farinosa virenticeps ... English: Costa-Rica Mealy Amazon, Green-headed Amazon ... Dutch: Costa Rica Amazone, Groenkopamazone ... German: Salvadoris Mülleramazone ... French: Amazone virenticeps
Related Web Resources: Lexicon of Parrots (please scroll down to no. 4 - click on link to view photo)

Plain-colored Mealy Amazons:
Description: Plain-colored Mealy Amazons average 15.2 inches or 38 cm in length (including tail). They have few (if any) yellow feathers on head and the carpel edge is dull yellow. They tend to be larger and duller than the nominate Mealy Parrot (A. f. farinosa) - described and featured above. They are often referred to as the "plain colored amazon."
Distribution: Veraguas, Panama, Venezuela, Columbia, Andes, North-Western Ecuador
Species: Scientific: Amazona farinosa inornata ... English: Plain-colored or Plain-coloured Mealy Amazon ... Dutch: Groengeschimmelde Amazone ... German: Westlicher Mülleramazone ... French: Amazone meunier vertes
Related Web Resources: Lexicon of Parrots (please scroll down to no. 3 - click on link to view photo)
On this site you can hear some recordings of their calls:
Mealy Parrot (Amazona farinosa) | on-line sounds from xeno-canto/world

Really loved this pic:

A pair of Yellow-crowned Amazons (Amazona ochrocephala) and a Mealy Amazon (Amazona farinosa) look like they're having a good time gathering at a 'parrot lick' along the Rio Napo in Ecuador. Uncropped f/6.3, iso 800, exp comp minus 2, 1/1000.

Can't wait to see what other have to share about these beauties :dance4:

mtngirl

Sprinting down the street
Thank you so much! I cannot wait to hear everyone's stories as well.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Mealy Amazons are very fun to live with. They are sneaky, they have a magical mystical look in their eyes. They are quiet, they love to chew and LOVE to use their feet. Mine is awesome with my other Amazon who is just over 2 yrs old. Mealy's have no fear, and they do learn their names. They are eating machines! They are gentle giants as most articles you read will mention. They are also very smart. Kazoo knows his name the minute he gets into something, I sternly say his name and he wil drop whatever he's got. They also are shy when they eat and although they show no fear, they are scardy cats LOL and startle in the funniest way. Try and grab something out of a Mealy's foot they will take off running with it in their mouth.

Their coloring in lighting can range to the most beautiful lime green. They also love water, love showers and can incredibly lift their nape feathers almost like a Hawkhead parrot. We've been together since the end of August, but Kazoo is without a doubt a Momma's boy. :D Mealys are true gems in the bird world.

Kazoo at 6 months - Amazona Afrinosa. * this species can have yellow and red on the tops of their heads* Kazoo has a very slight yellow feather, his Sisters both had yellow and red on their heads.

4 months

3 months

DSCN0908.flv video by Badblu - Photobucket
Baby's comfort feeding

Last edited:

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
Oh my I just love Kazoo's eyes :heart: What a sweet vid of his comfort feeding. How amazing that you are going to have such a long history with him Claire going back to when he was a baby. Something I've not experienced as my birdies where all adults when they came to live with me. That must be a very special bond.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Oh my I just love Kazoo's eyes :heart: What a sweet vid of his comfort feeding. How amazing that you are going to have such a long history with him Claire going back to when he was a baby. Something I've not experienced as my birdies where all adults when they came to live with me. That must be a very special bond.
As a matter of fact Shauna, he's on my shoulder head bobbing and looking for something as he nibbles on my ear :rofl: Rescue is a # 1 thing with me and my dogs. But when a second Amazon came to mind, I wimped out over a baby OWA. I did look into rescue via Phoenix landing and Pedro a MRH was available. But I had found out he had an issue with screaming. He was placed in a home and soon after returned. I could not chance bringing in a bird with an issue to my other one who was young. So I opted for another breeder baby that I could raise. I have my pets for life, so that was my choice to start out again with a baby. It's been monkey see monkey do in my house with eating now that my other Zon is color pellet free and eats fresh foods because of Kazoo. Adding another Amazon was clearly the best choice ever and a Mealy was a perfect fit. We'll see as both my boys grow up and enter into their hormonal stages. Each one has their own very large cage so we are good to go there!

When my Fiance gave me the 100% go ahead for another Zon, I found baby Mealy's online in my State, just 3 hrs from me. As much as I've looked for Amazons for the last 2+ yrs, you NEVER see Mealy's let alone babies. It was a meant to be, especially after Dave read about them. I promptly secured Kazoo with a deposit asap and BOTH of my Amazons are the light in my eyes everyday. They are both the sweetest things ever.

Last edited:

Jadie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jade
Love My Zons: I'm glad to heat about you and kazoo again, he's so gorgeous, you are so lucky to experience him as a baby:heart:. You say that Kazoo is an amazona afrinosa?
Did you mean Amazona Farinosa? Or is there an afrinosa subspecies? I'm sorry to go off topic and this can be deleted..I'm just curious I'm pretty sure Charlie is Farinosa but he has red some red feathers on his head mixed in with yellow, I'm not sure if it's common:confused:

Jadie

Real Name
Jade
Here's Charlie my big 14 year old boy :). He's a big suck and love scritches and FOOD !
He's a bit of a cage top potato but he has his bouts of energy where he will climb around and go for walks! He has recently become infatuated with my ringneck Polly, It's very cute! His eyes are sweet and expressive and he's a boy who knows what he wants. Like Love My Zons says, he's a bit of a scardy cat, he will run away when startled and he will drop whatever he's doing/eating lol. He doesn't let me bathe him yet but loves to take baths in his bowl to the sound of the vacuum. He's a BIG talker and singer, he sounds just like a child(his first owner had grandchildren) he likes to repeat "watch yourself there", he also says "hello", "love you", likes to yell "mommy", "help", "watchya dooing?" and "By daddy"(opens wings when saying this)etc...he even speaks french! He loves to beg for food when your eating he'll walk over and say "is that goood?". We have only had him a couple of months but I'd been caring for him at work for a while and loved him, so when he went up for adoption we scooped him right up and it's like he has always been here. We are his fourth home(and last), he was a screamer at his last home, has never really screamed here, he has also lost weigh on his new diet! He is so gentle and special, we love him dearly!:heart:

Attachments

mtngirl

Sprinting down the street
What great stories...both Kazoo (which is a wonderful name by the way) and Charlie are beautiful parrots! Thank you for sharing. After having adopted Rico, I am fascinated by all the species of Amazons and am loving the monthly spotlight!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Love My Zons: I'm glad to heat about you and kazoo again, he's so gorgeous, you are so lucky to experience him as a baby:heart:. You say that Kazoo is an amazona afrinosa?
Did you mean Amazona Farinosa? Or is there an afrinosa subspecies? I'm sorry to go off topic and this can be deleted..I'm just curious I'm pretty sure Charlie is Farinosa but he has red some red feathers on his head mixed in with yellow, I'm not sure if it's common:confused:
Loooong day, Yes Farinosa! GEEZ :o:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Ahaha awwe, don't worry I understand, you are forgiven:hug8:lol. So i guess the red feathers are normal then!:)
Yes, the red and yellow is normal. Some have both (like your Charlie) and some have just yellow.

Here is Kazoo (the only male wings spread should have been a hint he'd be all over the house!) and his Sisters you can see one has yellow and one has red/yellow on her head.

MEALY AMAZON PARROTS

Jadie

Real Name
Jade
Yes, the red and yellow is normal. Some have both (like your Charlie) and some have just yellow.

Here is Kazoo (the only male wings spread should have been a hint he'd be all over the house!) and his Sisters you can see one has yellow and one has red/yellow on her head.

MEALY AMAZON PARROTS
Omg!! Thanks for sending that to me, when I got to kazoos picture i gasped, that is the cutest thing:eek:. I would have chosen that one too!
Kazoo had some Too buddies, he didn't pick up the too scream did he?!:hehe:. I'd never seen pics of other mealies with the red head feathers like Charlie, Thank you! hmmm how much do you think it would cost to ship one here from NC?! ;)Lol

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I just love Mealy Amazon's. I would love to adopt one. Maybe someday. The pictures of your Amazon's are great. What beautiful birds you all have.

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
Kelly doesn't have blue, yellow, or red feathers. The head feathers are all green.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Kelly doesn't have blue, yellow, or red feathers. The head feathers are all green.
That's okay, you DO have a Mealy :D The ones with Blue are the Guatamalen sub species. Truly stunning, now that is one I'd love to have/find someday!

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
As a matter of fact Shauna, he's on my shoulder head bobbing and looking for something as he nibbles on my ear :rofl: Rescue is a # 1 thing with me and my dogs. But when a second Amazon came to mind, I wimped out over a baby OWA. I did look into rescue via Phoenix landing and Pedro a MRH was available. But I had found out he had an issue with screaming. He was placed in a home and soon after returned. I could not chance bringing in a bird with an issue to my other one who was young. So I opted for another breeder baby that I could raise. I have my pets for life, so that was my choice to start out again with a baby. It's been monkey see monkey do in my house with eating now that my other Zon is color pellet free and eats fresh foods because of Kazoo. Adding another Amazon was clearly the best choice ever and a Mealy was a perfect fit. We'll see as both my boys grow up and enter into their hormonal stages. Each one has their own very large cage so we are good to go there!

When my Fiance gave me the 100% go ahead for another Zon, I found baby Mealy's online in my State, just 3 hrs from me. As much as I've looked for Amazons for the last 2+ yrs, you NEVER see Mealy's let alone babies. It was a meant to be, especially after Dave read about them. I promptly secured Kazoo with a deposit asap and BOTH of my Amazons are the light in my eyes everyday. They are both the sweetest things ever.
Awwwwww, Kazoo must just melt your heart when he does that :D Wowsers talk about everything falling into place at the right time! I love his cute baby pic on the website with your name showing who took that sweet baby home. I know we rarely get any mealy surrendered to Mickaboo so I know what you mean.

Here's Charlie my big 14 year old boy :). He's a big suck and love scritches and FOOD !
He's a bit of a cage top potato but he has his bouts of energy where he will climb around and go for walks! He has recently become infatuated with my ringneck Polly, It's very cute! His eyes are sweet and expressive and he's a boy who knows what he wants. Like Love My Zons says, he's a bit of a scardy cat, he will run away when startled and he will drop whatever he's doing/eating lol. He doesn't let me bathe him yet but loves to take baths in his bowl to the sound of the vacuum. He's a BIG talker and singer, he sounds just like a child(his first owner had grandchildren) he likes to repeat "watch yourself there", he also says "hello", "love you", likes to yell "mommy", "help", "watchya dooing?" and "By daddy"(opens wings when saying this)etc...he even speaks french! He loves to beg for food when your eating he'll walk over and say "is that goood?". We have only had him a couple of months but I'd been caring for him at work for a while and loved him, so when he went up for adoption we scooped him right up and it's like he has always been here. We are his fourth home(and last), he was a screamer at his last home, has never really screamed here, he has also lost weigh on his new diet! He is so gentle and special, we love him dearly!:heart:
Charlie is one gorgeous guy! Love the splash of yellow on the top of his head. French???? What does he say in French, how international he is :hehe: Sounds like he's very settled in with his new family!

What great stories...both Kazoo (which is a wonderful name by the way) and Charlie are beautiful parrots! Thank you for sharing. After having adopted Rico, I am fascinated by all the species of Amazons and am loving the monthly spotlight!
We would love to hear more about Rico :) Glad your are enjoying this month's spotlight

Maybe he's still young. Can't remember did they tell you hold old Kelly is?

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Mealies are such wonderful birds. Maybe eventually, if I'm lucky, when I'm looking for a second large zon that can hang out with Jasper one will find me.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Mealy Amazons are very fun to live with. They are sneaky, they have a magical mystical look in their eyes. They are quiet, they love to chew and LOVE to use their feet. Mine is awesome with my other Amazon who is just over 2 yrs old. Mealy's have no fear, and they do learn their names. They are eating machines! They are gentle giants as most articles you read will mention. They are also very smart. Kazoo knows his name the minute he gets into something, I sternly say his name and he wil drop whatever he's got. They also are shy when they eat and although they show no fear, they are scardy cats LOL and startle in the funniest way. Try and grab something out of a Mealy's foot they will take off running with it in their mouth.

Their coloring in lighting can range to the most beautiful lime green. They also love water, love showers and can incredibly lift their nape feathers almost like a Hawkhead parrot. We've been together since the end of August, but Kazoo is without a doubt a Momma's boy. :D Mealys are true gems in the bird world.

Kazoo at 6 months - Amazona Afrinosa. * this species can have yellow and red on the tops of their heads* Kazoo has a very slight yellow feather, his Sisters both had yellow and red on their heads.

4 months

3 months

DSCN0908.flv video by Badblu - Photobucket
Baby's comfort feeding

Oh my gosh, Kazoo is SO cute. I really love the pics, especially the second one. I haven't seen one in person but if they weigh that much they are like three times as big as Merlin and I thought he was big!!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

Charlie is a big boy! Very cute:heart:

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
My Sam Mealy is the most wonderful companion and friend to me. I cannot think of one bad trait that she possesses. Though she is quite large, she is as gentle as the tiniest mouse. She never bites or growls or shows aggression of any kind. If you come close to her, she will lift her foot to you, like a baby asking to be picked up.

She is a very quiet bird, except for her quiet babbling (which she picked up from her babble ball!) and occasional vocalizing. She has never spoken a word however, and I would venture to guess she never will. Perhaps some people would find that a fault, but her unique amazon calls are music to my ears. She is a very unobstrusive soul, never pushy or demanding of anything, but content to be close by. She loves to go on outings, and to play with foot toys.

She is a good eater of healthy foods IF you are there to offer it to her and are watching! She eats very s-l-o-w and it can take up to 3 hours to finish an offering of healthy food. I think she relishes the attention. Her favorite treat is an unshelled almond.

Her character has changed quite a bit since her wings have grown out and she can fly! She is more outgoing and very funny. By this I mean she will fly over to entice me to play, bringing along a toy. She is not an indiscriminate fllyer, but very focused on her destination. She has her favorite places to perch and that's where she heads to.

I would recommend a mealy for anyone interested in getting a parrot! They are so easy to take care of. I knew nothing about them when I bought her at a store where she was confined to a tiny cage with just one toy and a seed diet. I was there to buy food and had no intention of getting another parrot. But her big imploring eyes begged to be taken out, and when the attendant did, she scrutinized me carefully for quite some time and finally raised her foot at me to step up. It is then that I whispered in her ear, "I'll be back tomorrow to take you home."....and that's what I did!

Here she is on an outing watching my daughter at a riding lesson. She loves nothing more than to bask in the sun and look at the wide world around her. Because she is such a mellow bird, putting a harness on her for the first time was a piece of cake. I was amazed one day when she walked over to me dragging the harness to me and dropping it by my feet!
DSCN1249.jpg

When she is in a playful mood, she will fly over to me when I am working on the computer. I have plenty of fake pencils lying around so she can play and chew them up.
DSCN1898.jpg

She is beautifully feathered and loves to preen. Her head is a lavender color, with no hint of yellow.
DSCN0855.jpg

One of my favorite shots of her in our covered patio. On warm days, she loves to perch and watch wild birds fly by in the fresh air.
DSCN0814.jpg

Sam can be a ham, and loves to make our family laugh and be the center of attention. Here she is in her Superman outfit, keeping the world safe.
DSCN1349.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.