• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon Spotlight of the Month: Double Yellow Heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
Ok, I wanted to do this month (sorry I got behind again :o:) zon...the fiesty, funny double yellow head amazon. These beautiful zons have a bigger than life attitude and a real zeal for living life to full. Playful and curious about their domain they can be traveling birds that love to roam all over. They can be great talkers, although Chewie certainly proves that this is not always the case :lol:I know quite a few AA roadies here live with one so I can't wait to hear from you. Many including myself have shared their experiences already but let's hear more from you :hehe: I have a great respect for these birds. The bird rescue I volunteer with has seen quite a number of them come through their doors because many people are not aware of their potential for changes once they reach sexual maturity and do not know how to deal with them which is ashame because once you know what to look for you can reach a point where you know your DYH well and have a good relationship.

[Info from Wikipedia]
Yellow-headed Amazon

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to:navigation, search
Yellow-headed AmazonAt Vancouver AquariumConservation statusScientific classificationKingdom:Animalia
Phylum:Chordata
Class:Aves
Order:Psittaciformes
Family:Psittacidae
Genus:Amazona
Species:A. oratrix
Binomial nameAmazona oratrix
(Ridgway, 1887)The Yellow-headed Amazon (Amazona oratrix), also known as the Yellow-headed Parrot and Double Yellow-headed Amazon, is an endangered amazon parrot of Mexico and northern Central America. Measuring 38–43 centimetres (15–17 in) in length, it is a stocky short-tailed green parrot with a yellow head. It prefers to live in mangrove forests or forests near rivers or other bodies of water. It is often considered a subspecies of the Yellow-crowned Amazon. It is a popular pet and an excellent talker.
Contents

[hide]
[edit] Taxonomy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Amazona_oratrix_-Cougar_Mountain_Zoological_Park_-hand-8a.jpg
Tres Marías Amazon at Cougar Mountain Zoological Park, USA

This species is part of the Amazona ochrocephala complex, which also includes the Yellow-naped Amazon (A. auropalliata). This complex, "a taxonomic headache",[2] is considered a single species by some authorities and split into three species by others. The split is mainly based on the amount of yellow in the plumage, the color of the legs and bill, the close proximity of A. oratrix and A. auropalliata in Oaxaca, Mexico, without apparent interbreeding,[3] and the presence of both A. ochrocephala and A. auropalliata in northern Honduras.[4] This evaluation has, however, been confused by misunderstandings regarding the plumage variations in the populations in northern Honduras, where birds vary greatly in amount of yellow on the head, crown and nape, but have pale bills and a juvenile plumage matching A. oratrix, but neither A. ochrocephala nor A. auropalliata.[2][5] In 1997, the population from the Sula Valley in northern Honduras was described as a new subspecies, hondurensis, of A. oratrix.[6] A. auropalliata caribaea on the Islas de la Bahía, which is in relatively close proximity to the recently described A. oratrix hondurensis, may have a relatively pale lower mandible, indicating that gene flow may occur between the two.[7] If confirmed, this could suggest that the two are better considered conspecific. Alternatively, it has been suggested that caribaea and parvipes, both typically considered subspecies of A. auropalliata, may be closer to A. oratrix than they are to the nominate A. auropalliata. Both are relatively small and have red on the shoulder like A. oratrix, but unlike nominate A. auropalliata.[2][5] The members of this complex are known to hybridize in captivity,[2] and recent phylogenetic analysis of DNA did not support the split into the three "traditional" biological species, but did reveal three clades, which potentially could be split into three phylogenetic species: a Mexican and Central American species (including panamensis, which extends slightly into South America), a species of northern South America, and a species from the southern Amazon Basin. The Central American clade can potentially be split further, with panamensis (Panama Amazon) and tresmariae (Tres Marías Amazon) recognized as two monotypic species.[8][9][10]
According to the traditional split, A. oratrix includes the taxa tresmariae (from Tres Marías Islands), belizensis (from Belize) and hondurensis (from Sula Valley, Honduras) as subspecies.[11] An additional subspecies, magna, has sometimes been recognized for the population on the Gulf slope of Mexico, but today most authorities considered it invalid, instead including this population in oratrix, which also occurs on the Pacific slope of Mexico.[2][11][12] In contrast, the population in north-western Honduras and adjacent eastern Guatemala (near Puerto Barrios), which resembles A. oratrix belizensis and commonly is included in that subspecies, may represent an undescribed subspecies. It has sometimes been referred to as guatemalensis,[11] but until this population is officially described, the name remains provisional.
The origin of the common epithet "Double Yellow-headed" is that this species is differentiated from the others in the Yellow-headed Amazon complex by possessing both the yellow nape and yellow crown of its two close relatives, hence a "double-yellow" head.[citation needed]
Description

The Yellow-headed Amazon averages 38–43 centimetres (15–17 in) long.[13] The shape is typical of amazons, with a robust build, rounded wings, and a square tail. The body is bright green, with yellow on the head, dark scallops on the neck, red at the bend of the wing, and yellow thighs. The flight feathers are blackish to bluish violet with a red patch on the outer secondaries. The base of the tail also has a red patch, which is usually hidden. The outer tail feathers have yellowish tips.[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Yellow-headed_Amazon_(Amazona_oratrix)_eating.gif
Eating cantaloupe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BabyDYHAmazon1.jpg
8 weeks old.

The bill is horn-colored, darker in immatures of the Belizean subspecies. The eye ring is whitish in Mexican birds and grayish in others. The most conspicuous geographical difference is the amount of yellow. In adults, the head and upper chest are yellow in the subspecies of the Tres Marías Islands (tresmariae); just the head in the widespread subspecies of Mexico (oratrix); just the crown in Belize (belizensis); and the crown and nape in the Sula Valley of Honduras (hondurensis, which thus resembles the Yellow-naped Parrot). Immatures have less yellow than adults; they attain adult plumage in 2 to 4 years.[2]
The variety "Magna" (or "Magnum") is bred for more yellow and commands a premium price as a pet.[14] Some "extreme" Magnas have as much yellow as Tres Marías birds, but are distinguished from them by heavier barring on the chest and a less bluish tint to the green plumage.[15]
Wild birds give low-pitched, sometimes human-sounding screams, but often fly silently (unlike many other parrots). The calls can be described as "a rolled kyaa-aa-aaah and krra-aah-aa-ow, a deep, rolled ahrrrr or ahrhrrrr," etc.[2] Young birds make a "clucking" sound to indicate that they are hungry.
Distribution and habitat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Amazona_oratrix_-eating_in_tree-8.jpg
In Belize

This species lives in riparian forest and areas with scattered trees, as well as evergreen forest in Belize and mangroves in Guatemala. It occurs in singly or in pairs, in small groups, and occasionally in big flocks. The range formerly included both coastal slopes of Mexico from the Tres Marías Islands and Jalisco to Oaxaca and from Nuevo León to northern Chiapas and southwestern Tabasco, as well as a disjunct area including most of Belize, and another comprising a small part of northeastern Guatemala and northwestern Honduras.[2] However, their numbers have been reduced drastically—by 90 percent, to 7,000, from the mid 1970s to 1994,[16] and by 68 percent from 1994 to 2004[1]—because of capture for the pet trade and habitat destruction.
Introduced populations can be found in Stuttgart, Germany where a population of over 50 individuals resides. Smaller introduced populations are to found at Imperial Beach and Santa Anna; both in Southern California.
Conservation status

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Amazona_oratrix_-captive_-upper_body-8a.jpg
Upper body

The Yellow-headed Amazon is considered endangered by the IUCN, and is on the CITES Appendix I, which by international treaty, has made export, import and trade of wild-caught Yellow-headed Amazons illegal and the trade in birds bred in aviculture subject to controls in most of the world. Captive-bred Yellow-headed Amazons can be sold and owned legally subject to checks and regulations. Generally, throughout the world, sale of Appendix I species bred in aviculture must be accompanied with official certification which is provided by the breeder, and they must have a closed ring on one leg.
The popularity of Yellow-headed Amazons as a pet continues to fuel poaching efforts, which have nearly driven it to extinction in the wild. Their wild population has declined from 70,000 to 7,000 in the past two decades alone.[1] An estimated 90% of poached Yellow-headed Amazons die before they are sold. Yellow-headed Parrots nest in holes in tree trunks or fallen branches. Poachers usually hack at the nest site with a machete to steal parrots, which is especially destructive because habitat is lost at the same time that the wild parrot population is reduced.[citation needed] The situation for tresmariae, which potentially can be treated as a separate species, is unclear, but its very small range gives cause for concern and some reports indicate it is under considerable threat.[1]
As pets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Yellow-headed_Amazon_(Amazona_oratrix)_pet_on_perch.jpg
Pet parrot

Albeit it is only lawful to keep captive-bred Yellow-headed Amazons, these are widely available (if somewhat expensive) and their personalities make them highly desirable pets; they have been kept as such for centuries[17] because they are among the parrots that "talk" best.[18] Their vocal abilities are generally bested only by the African Grey Parrot and matched by similar species, such as the Yellow-naped Parrot.
As in most amazons, nervous plucking of plumage is rare among this species. A generally recognized disadvantage of the Yellow-headed Amazon and its close relatives (such as the Yellow-naped Amazon) is hormonal aggressiveness, most notable among males in the breeding season. It is a member of the "Hot Three" (referring to the male bird's 'hot' temper), along with the Yellow-naped and Blue-fronted.[19][20]

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
What a great thread!

When I move out, I'll be taking a DYH female with me, named Sammy. She is totally plucked PLUCKED naked, barbers her tail and flight feathers, and only had her yellow head.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for all the great information..I love my DYA.

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you for all of the great information!

Matt

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
Oh Mercedez...she sounds like a sweet gal. I've never seen a DYH that only had the yellow head feather, poor sweetheart :hug8:

Glad you folks are enjoying this month's zon :) I love those DYH's too!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Oh Mercedez...she sounds like a sweet gal. I've never seen a DYH that only had the yellow head feather, poor sweetheart :hug8:
To be honest I really dont want another Hot 3 on my hands.. but we believe she is a female...

Hot three's scare me, but they always seem to be taken with me (Im a dark blond...). And this lil Gal, named Sammy(not sure if I will keep the name.. not sure if she responds to it), is a sweet heart. No Hot 3 about her. My RLA, Pua, is more territorial with other people than this gal.

But what we want to try is for her to grow in her fligth and tail feathers, so she can atleast be outside in a larger outdoor flight/aviary with other zons in the summer months.

Last year she was kept outdoors in sun and foilage in a smaller 6ftLx4ftwidex 6ft tall outdoor aviary with my Pua, and 2 mealies. Birds usually kept outside during the day typically leave their feathers alone... she did not. So we're trying all things to help her out.

catnloco

Sprinting down the street
Thanks for all that information.
I had wanted a DYH for a very long time so when the time came I started hunting for one. I couldn't find one in any of the local rescues that I knew of so I bought one knowing I was never going to part with him.
I LOVE my Yoshi aka Yo-Yo. He is very hand tame and will go to anyone (but is still a baby). He loves to play and play hard,everything to him is a toy. He has an incredible appetite.As for talking well it's coming along he won't be one until June 25.

Attachments

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:heart: :excited2:
Thank you so much for spotlighting the DYA. I am totally in love with the breed!

My little angel bit the stuffing out of me today, drawing blood, but I still adore him. I would not trade him for anything in the world.

I must have sucker written on my forehead. :hehe:

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
Great to see the DYHA spotlighted this time. They are such a beautiful species. :heart:

When I move out, I'll be taking a DYH female with me, named Sammy. She is totally plucked PLUCKED naked, barbers her tail and flight feathers, and only had her yellow head.
Never seen that! :eek: :eek:

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
To be honest I really dont want another Hot 3 on my hands.. but we believe she is a female...

Hot three's scare me, but they always seem to be taken with me (Im a dark blond...). And this lil Gal, named Sammy(not sure if I will keep the name.. not sure if she responds to it), is a sweet heart. No Hot 3 about her. My RLA, Pua, is more territorial with other people than this gal.

But what we want to try is for her to grow in her fligth and tail feathers, so she can atleast be outside in a larger outdoor flight/aviary with other zons in the summer months.

Last year she was kept outdoors in sun and foilage in a smaller 6ftLx4ftwidex 6ft tall outdoor aviary with my Pua, and 2 mealies. Birds usually kept outside during the day typically leave their feathers alone... she did not. So we're trying all things to help her out.
You know I think that to myself too...one Chewie is enough, then I saw that there was a sweet female DYH who lost her home and a foster home was despirately needed and there went that logic and I wanted her soooo bad! I wanted her to be a companion for Chewie but thankfully someone finally stepped up and took her in :p I wish I could have though, but now is just not the time so I was glad someone was able to.

Poor Sammy, she must have been plucking for some time. I know your doing everything to try to help her get some of her feathers back. Best wishes, she's no doubt a beautiful zon no matter what.

Thanks for all that information.
I had wanted a DYH for a very long time so when the time came I started hunting for one. I couldn't find one in any of the local rescues that I knew of so I bought one knowing I was never going to part with him.
I LOVE my Yoshi aka Yo-Yo. He is very hand tame and will go to anyone (but is still a baby). He loves to play and play hard,everything to him is a toy. He has an incredible appetite.As for talking well it's coming along he won't be one until June 25.
Oh my Yo-Yo looks like one fun loving youngster :hehe:, what a cutie. I have not seen too many young ones like him I'm used to seeing them with the head of yellow already. Love to see many more pics of him, he's just adorable!!!!

:heart: :excited2:
Thank you so much for spotlighting the DYA. I am totally in love with the breed!

My little angel bit the stuffing out of me today, drawing blood, but I still adore him. I would not trade him for anything in the world.

I must have sucker written on my forehead. :hehe:

:rofl: Me too!
Great to see the DYHA spotlighted this time. They are such a beautiful species. :heart:
Thanks Titanis :D There is just something about their gorgeous yellow heads that just make these zons both beautiful and majestic.

mtngirl

Sprinting down the street
Thank you for this wonderful spotlight. I really enjoy reading about all of the different species of Amazons.

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
She is in Northern California. A sweet youngster (9 years old) who's previous owner could no longer take care of her so she came to Mickaboo.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shauna, altho I hopes she finds a perfect home, I was torturing myself by asking. Being that she is so far away, I can let myself off the hook and kind of justify not getting her. I want every DYA I see. It's an illness!:omg:

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
Claire I have a few new pics I snapped of Chewie I'll post later:D

Terri, I wanted that Emma too! I'm glad someone stepped up to foster her cause it was just killing me :p

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
:hehe: Ok here are some pics I took today of the Chewie

Status
Not open for further replies.