• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

amazon longest life of all parrots

Status
Not open for further replies.

shf

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
i've read that amazons are the longest living parrot on the planet living past 100 years can anyone give information about this? because i really love my panama amazon and want him to outlive me?
cockatoos i've read come in to a close second and the macaw are short lived only to 50 years can anyone give me feedback about parrot longevity?

Attachments

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
I would put cockatoos first on the list. I thought amazons were into their 70s whereas there are plenty of recorded cockatoos well over 100. :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Since parrot care has improved, birds should live even longer than they have in the past.:)

Cockatoos live typically up to their 80's, Macaws 50-60's, and parrots such as Amazons and Greys I'd say live between 50-60's as well. This is just what I have heard.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Wow, I thought amazons lived 40 years. Wow, I have to start making plans for the future placement of her. Im 32 now.

Cannuck

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Danielle
Amazons typically live to 75 whereas the larger macaws and cockatoos live past 100. I have a friend who's grandfather had a mollucan cockatoo, he went to my friends father then my friend who had him until he passed away at 135 years of age.

Our oldes amazon is 43 so far.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Amazons typically live to 75 whereas the larger macaws and cockatoos live past 100. I have a friend who's grandfather had a mollucan cockatoo, he went to my friends father then my friend who had him until he passed away at 135 years of age.

Our oldes amazon is 43 so far.

They live forever like sea turtles!!!!!:faint:

shf

Avenue Veteran
thanks for the insight more ideas, examples, etc about parrot longevity would be greatly appreciated.
I read an article about a galah cockatoo or corella in australia;don't remember which type it was either one or the other bird ; but it said that it had a tag from the late 1800's and was found alive just recently?
I'm 44 years old and i just acquired a baby blue and gold macaw who will probably outlive me, and have an amazon who is about 15 years old, a goffins who is 25 years old, and a galah whom is 5 years, a lesser sulfur crested cockatoo who is 5 years old; my others the conures and cockatiel will not outlive me theoretically.
Does anyone have insight into what one should do to find a good home for their pet parrots before one passes away? don't want mine going to an unscrupulous rescue or bird broker; as i've heard horror stories about parrots going to bad homes after their owner passses away?

Attachments

Last edited:

Cannuck

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Danielle
It would be wise to have a trusted friend or family member who knows the birds to act as next of kin. If my husband or children are not able for whatever reason to care for the birds when I am gone I have at least 2 friends who will.

I also am next of kin for a bid that I birdsit. Her owner asked if we would be willing to adopt her should anything ever happen. It makes sense as we are already familiar with her and her routines and her with us.

Our 43 year old amazon, Sam is a bird who's family did not have a plan. Her owners took her in to the nursing home with them and passed away. The nursing staff found us on You tube and asked if we would take her. She grieved for quite a few months but has come around for the most part.

thanks for the insight more ideas, examples, etc about parrot longevity would be greatly appreciated.
I read an article about a galah cockatoo or corella in australia;don't remember which type it was either one or the other bird ; but it said that it had a tag from the late 1800's and was found alive just recently?
I'm 44 years old and i just acquired a baby blue and gold macaw who will probably outlive me, and have an amazon who is about 15 years old, a goffins who is 25 years old, and a galah whom is 5 years, my others the conures and cockatiel will not outlive me theoretically.
Does anyone have insight into what one should do to find a good home for their pet parrots before one passes away? don't want mine going to an unscrupulous rescue or bird broker; as i've heard horror stories about parrots going to bad homes after their owner passses away?

shf

Avenue Veteran
i don't know anyone locally that loves parrots like i do and family is too busy to deal with the issue guess it would be good to network or try to meet parrot people locally?

Cannuck

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Danielle
i don't know anyone locally that loves parrots like i do and family is too busy to deal with the issue guess it would be good to network or try to meet parrot people locally?

Definitely! And these types of forums are a great way to do it!

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
I have a trust fund for the birds. They will go to Pheonix Landing along with their trust fund, which is partially funded by a life insurance policy with PL as beneficiary.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think cockatoos might have a longer potential lifespan. However, I've met and heard of far more 40+ year old amazons than cockatoos. I think both amazons and cockatoos are among the more long lived species with the amazon's shear willpower and determination ensuring that many of them hit that old age mark. An amazon will live just for spite I think.
There was an article written by Dr. Susan Clubb studying aging in macaws. Apparently many macaws are getting arthritis and cataracts in their 40's. How long they live after that probably depends largely on vet care, previous nutrition and genetics. I have heard of some well documented macaws in their 70s+. Although, I don't personally know of any really old cockatoos, I have read Dr. Clubb call them one of the more long lived species.
Melissa

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Cockatoos are very susceptible to liver and kidney disease if they were fed a primary seed diet in their earlier life. Bokka was fed a walmart/wild bird seed mix for 12 years, he had Hepatitis and Kidney problems. His liver is doing MUCH BETTER since getting him 4 years ago. He still pooes lime green time-to-time but its much better. kidneys are still the same-ish. He still excretes way too much water on more occasions than not. :(

I think most 'toos have a HUGE potential to live well into their 60's and 70's and beyond if cared for properly. And if they were not abused. Perhaps they die an early death do to neglect and physical abuse. :(

shf

Avenue Veteran
well from what i've read recently cockatoos have the longest average lifespan of parrots based on a scientific study it claims that the black cockatoos are the longest living parrots and then the white cockatoos and cockatoos in general and then supposedly amazons.
i've read that macaws there is a misconception that macaws are long lived birds when in reality 50 years is very old for a macaw. oh well i was wondering what the record was for a blue and gold macaw i know from reading though its lifespan is 40-80 years longevity is based on the care the bird gets and most get passed on to more than one owner because they outlive their keepers so if they aren't cared for after their owner passes away it greatly reduces their chances of living a very long life.
generally people claim that the larger the bird the longer the life but this is not true because macaws are an anomaly? amazons live the same lifespan as macaws and are only 1/3 the size;
if this were true the macaws would be the longest living parrots. generalizations of expected life expectancy
my question was what are the records of the longest living parrots which nobody can answer maybe its in the guiness book of world records.
the statistics in captivity are skewed because if you get an amazon fed only a seed diet it will only live to 40 whereas an amazon that is well cared for fed well will live to 80 so my point is the statistics lie because captive birds longevity is based on the care they receive and some supposedly long lived parrots live short lives because of improper care and feeding
short lived parrots supposedly live very long lives because of excellent care ;but in general i believe the study that i read that cockatoos are on the average longest living parrots and them amazons and large macaws have a long lifespan potential probably similare to amazons and cockatoos.
i've read that galahs can live to 80 years are very long lived birds for their size and mine is only 5 years old. my baby blue and gold is only 7 months old and can probably live to 70 with good care; my goffins is 20+ years and i read they can live to 60-70 years my lesser sulphur crested cockatoo is only 5 years old and can live to60-70 years the amazon is only 15 years and can live to 80 years i probably am afraid of what might happen to them because i don't trust other people with my birds; would be sad if they ended up on a seed only diet and plucking and screaming etc.; i would really want my birds to go to a real birdd person because i worry about what will happen to them if i pass away.
my family members are not bird people;they owned an eclectus who plucked himself naked and then flew away so don't trust them with my parrots and they are so busy;
the thought of a bird broker or unscrupulous bird rescue getting hold of my birds scares me all of the time. was thinking i could try to find bird people to adopt them before it happens but just was wondering.
the story of bokka makes me sad i'm so glad that you have him mercedez.
my goffin's, lessr sulphur crested, galah, panama amazon, were rehomes my blue and gold was from a breeder.
i guess i will just give my birds to a bird person that i trust or friend and the birds will get most of my estate; and the caregiver;keeper will get the rest;but how does one know if they can trust the caregivers with the birds; and how does one keep the bird keepers from using up the estate for personal reasons; are there organization that find people whom do this for a living or who are genuinely interested in being true bird lovers; do you willed to the birds only? i will probably be looking for that real bird person to care for my birds with most of my estate for the birds and maybe a little to the keeper; just will be looking for that bird person to adopt my birds when i pass away hopefull i find them.
i don't want to send my birds to a parrot rescue or adoption agency i want them to end up in a forever bird person home.

Last edited:

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Gosh am i lucky my son will take mango and im hopping his son after him

MANGO WAS A WORRY AS SOON AS I GOT HIM AS I WAS 74 AND
gLEN FELL IN LOVE WITH HIM AND SAID NO WORRYS MOM HES MINE

SO WHAT WILL HAPPEN AFTER GLEN IM NOT SURE BUT I KNOW
HE WILL MAKE SURE MANGO IS WELL CARED FOR

I HAVE HEARD OF PEOPLE HAVING THERE PET PUT DOWN WHEN THEY DIE CAUSE THEY DIDNT WANT TO TAKE A CHANCE THEY WOULD BE ABUSED , I DONT AGREE WITH THAT BECAUSE ITS UP TO US TO MAKE SURE THEY HAVE A FULL WELL CARED FOR LIFE , I MEAN IF I HAD DIED YOUNG WOULD I HAVE HAD MY KIDS PUT DOWN DONT THINK SO SO WHY ANIMALES

YES IM LUCKY JUST HOPE EVER ONE IS AS LUCKY AS ME

shf

Avenue Veteran
i have thought about putting down my animals; but then said to myself what is wrong with you; but this was after i had thought that i didn't know what to do with my parrots; but it was to me a last resort or a desperate act for me to do and i don't have the heart; but i am glad that you mentioned it because i was wondering what other people thought about this idea?
but i would rather have them put down humanely; than to be passed from home to home or acquiring bacterial disease, dying a slow death at the bottom of their cage from neglect from eating an all seed diet, or not cleaning their cage so that the filth piles up so high they can't move around in their cage; someone doesn't care about them and lets their cat or dog get them, or someone letting them fly away out the door; or them starving to death by someone not feeding them, or someone physically abusing them;
i've watched animal shows and they showed dogs with burns on their body from people pouring gasoline on them and setting them on fire it just scares you to think what kind of people there are out there with animals whom shouldn't have them and the poor captive animals receive so much abuse from neglectful owners its torture to live your life behind bars (birds) that they should be treated and spoiled rotten.
well your are lucky but sometimes things happen and family members don't live up to their commitments thas why i have to find someone that is truly a dedicated animal lover someone that devotes their life and are commited to truly caring for parrots.
and i love the picture of your amazon mango hes really pretty.
does anyone have any ideas about this birdperson that i should be looking for a bird vet would be really nice that would be my dream caretaker for my birds when i pass away does anyone have the profile of the perfect devoted person that i should be llooking for to care for my birds when i pass away.preferably stable, animal lover, well educated about bird needs and behaviors, and around 30? what are your ideas about this person to take over the birds a member of audobon society? don't think i would give to a bird breeder they don't seem to be attached to birds as they see them come and go.

Last edited:

Cannuck

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Danielle
My husband once suggested to me, due to my love of parrots that I should consider starting a parrot retirement home. A sanctuary of sorts were older birds could live out there lives in safety and love after their owners passed away. At the time I laughed at him. It sounded silly. However reading this thread has made me wonder if something like that wouldn't be nice. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have family that cares enough about birds. Like in Sam's case, the family just left her to the nursing staff...who found me on YouTube. They lucked out, we do have experience and were able to help her through the grieving process but we could have been axe murderers! Lol!

This thread has got me thinking...

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
i have thought about putting down my animals; but then said to myself what is wrong with you; but this was after i had thought that i didn't know what to do with my parrots; but it was to me a last resort or a desperate act for me to do and i don't have the heart; but i am glad that you mentioned it because i was wondering what other people thought about this idea?
But i would rather have them put down humanely; than to be passed from home to home or acquiring bacterial disease, dying a slow death at the bottom of their cage from neglect from eating an all seed diet, or not cleaning their cage so that the filth piles up so high they can't move around in their cage; someone doesn't care about them and lets their cat or dog get them, or someone letting them fly away out the door; or them starving to death by someone not feeding them, or someone physically abusing them;
i've watched animal shows and they showed dogs with burns on their body from people pouring gasoline on them and setting them on fire it just scares you to think what kind of people there are out there with animals whom shouldn't have them and the poor captive animals receive so much abuse from neglectful owners its torture to live your life behind bars (birds) that they should be treated and spoiled rotten.
Well your are lucky but sometimes things happen and family members don't live up to their commitments thas why i have to find someone that is truly a dedicated animal lover someone that devotes their life and are commited to truly caring for parrots.
And i love the picture of your amazon mango hes really pretty.
Does anyone have any ideas about this birdperson that i should be looking for a bird vet would be really nice that would be my dream caretaker for my birds when i pass away does anyone have the profile of the perfect devoted person that i should be llooking for to care for my birds when i pass away.preferably stable, animal lover, well educated about bird needs and behaviors, and around 30? What are your ideas about this person to take over the birds a member of audobon society? Don't think i would give to a bird breeder they don't seem to be attached to birds as they see them come and go.
yes i am lucky my son loves animales and say mango need a vet and it would cost a thousand dollars mango would go to the vets . Glen paid that and more for his dogs vet bills
and he dosent want me to die any time soon but he wants mango,,lol'

i would speek to your vet in sure he could guide you
let him know your not planing on dieing ,,lol but would like to meet people that could help you say 30 yrs from now

shf

Avenue Veteran
i would love them to go live with an avian vet or someone who knows about birds; after i pass away that would be my dream; and when i'm in my mid 80's i want someone in their early 30's to take over my flock so that they wouldn't have to be rehomed anymore; but thats another 40 years and will probably still have my goffins who would be 65 yrs old,blue and gold 40 years, panama 55 years ,galah 45 years , lesser sulfur crested too 45 yrs. they will still have a lot of years ahead of me its unbelievable but true.
some people might think i'm crazy being too worried about my parrots welfare when i pass away but can't imagine leaving my parrots without anyone to care for them.
a parrot retirement home that is exciting; each bird could have their own room with pictures of their owners that passed away,
and their owners could specify in their will how each birds little attributes, personalities,preferences, phobias, characteristics and how they would want them fed and cared for in their will. how they would love this or that what they don't like and how they showed their love to their previous owners and vice versa; and how their new caretakers could substitue for their previous owner and do exactly what their previous owners did for their birds.
but this sounds like a dream i can't imagine someone trying to be me with my birds after i pass away it just wouldn't work but might be better than suffering with somestranger that doesn't care.
these are photos of my birds that could possibly outlive me based upon their lifespan estimates. the goffins might not outlive me but the others definitely will according to their expected lifespan.

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.