• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Am I being paranoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsvajda

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jennifer S
Good evening, all. I'm new here and of course, I found my way to the forum while worried about my Parrotlet, Pip.

During our play time, Pip ran under a table and found a glue stick for my hot glue gun that I didn't realize had fallen on the floor. I didn't get to him before he started nibbling on the end and managed to get a few small pieces off, which he proceeded to chew on. I finally nabbed him and got the little chunk out of his beak, but now I'm worried that he may have swallowed some.

Does anyone know if the glue is toxic or what it coud do to him? Has this happened to anyone else, and if so does anyone have any tips or helpful info for me? Should I really be worried or am I overreacting?

Thanks!

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I *think* the glue sticks are safe and I know some toy makers use the glue sticks for their toys. Does it say anything on the package of stick whether or not they are toxic or if they are safe for children?

Sorry - wecome!!!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Welcome!

I seen someone mention (can’t remember where) that if a hot glue gun is chewed on by a bird when it is dry that it won’t do any harm, it was mentioned on a thread about a play gym, actually think it might have been this forum. Sorry I can’t be of anymore help.

jsvajda

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jennifer S
The package says non-toxic, but could the little nibbles he may have ingested clog his digestive tract? How would I know if they did happen to do that?

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I would change his paper tonight. Perhaps even put a white paper towel on top of his grate. Monitor his droppings and make sure he is eliminating.

Is he otherwise normal? Things to watch for are lethargy, decreased appetite, puffiness and, of course, lack of droppings.

I really think he will be okay. He probaby just chewed them. Hopefully he didn't ingest anything.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Birds are plenty smart enough to know what "is" food and what "isn't" food. They will chew on anything of course but it's highly unlikely that she actually ate any of it.

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I agree. Chewing doesn't equal ingesting, she should be ok. :welave:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hope your little guy is alright.... I agree that he probably just chewed and didn't eat any....

They just seem to find everything, don't they!!!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Im not sure,but I hope your little one is ok.

ArloDuncan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Steve
I would change his paper tonight. Perhaps even put a white paper towel on top of his grate. Monitor his droppings and make sure he is eliminating.

Is he otherwise normal? Things to watch for are lethargy, decreased appetite, puffiness and, of course, lack of droppings.

I really think he will be okay. He probaby just chewed them. Hopefully he didn't ingest anything.
Kathie's advice is awesome and should put your mind at ease when you see normal appetite and droppings for several days. Do you have an Avian vet you use that you could call and ask also? Pip is so cute and the perfect name for a Parrolet. Best wishes and Welcome.

jsvajda

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jennifer S
Thanks for all of the help and sane advice - I tend to over worry about the things my baby boy gets into.

He seems to be okay today - currently nuzzling my hand to get a scritch (someone's spoiled). His droppings seem normal, but some have a bit more of a ruddy color than normal and it's hit and miss so I'm chalking it up to the pink pellets in his food. Called the avian vet just to verify and they had me email them pictures of the droppings - that's right, I had to take pictures of poop - so they can view the color without having me pay a fortune for the office visit. They said that the color looks okay, but that if it gets any darker I need to bring him in.

You all are awesome and thanks so much for te advice and for being the voice of reason!!

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I know I certainly would not even worry about it if it was one of my birds that did that. She probably just liked the texture of it in her beak and was checking it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.