• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Almost Ex-plucker’s story

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Possible Reasons for plucking: Hormone and Separation Anxiety

Puck, my caique, started to pluck when she was 4 (in June 2010) , when I was away for about 10 days. At that time, I was married and my ex took care of the birds, so she was in the same house and one of her humans was there, but it was also the first time I was away that long (for her), and I believe she was having hormonal issues. When I returned, I could see she plucked around her neck, but it was not that bad.

I can’t remember all the details now, but I remember one day, I think, it was in July, after she went to bed, when my ex had a friend over and she screeched. I thought she was upset because they were making too much noise. Next morning, she plucked a lot of feathers!

IMG_2510 - Copy.JPG

I took her to an Avian Vet, and ruled out medical cause. At that time, I felt she had chemical imbalance. She would stare at her feather and pluck in front of me. She looked as if she was possessed. At night, she gave us hard time going to bed, as if she was afraid. She screeched or talked at night in darkness. In her regular cage, she would go around and around. I purchased her small night time cage (and she still uses it today).

I did not want put her I tried many different things. Herbal tea, aloe spray, etc, but they did not work.

Eventually I tried sweater. It did not work for her, since she was able to get to her feathers (it may work for those who plucks out of boredom /habit).
IMG_2558 - Copy.JPG

Then, she wore my homemade collar.

She wore it several months, even after her feathers grew back.

Today, she is fully feathered. When I have to be out of town for a few days, she snips her neck feathers. She plucked some when I was away about 10 days and she stayed at birdsitter’s house. She also snipped a little when she had eggs.

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
IMG_2608 - Copy.JPG

Then, she wore my homemade collar.

2012-07-15 17.22.45.jpg

IMG_2859.JPG (She was wearing both sweater and collar around Christmas)

She wore it several months, even after her feathers grew back.

Today, she is fully feathered. When I have to be out of town for a few days, she snips her neck feathers. She plucked some when I was away about 10 days and she stayed at birdsitter’s house. She also snipped a little when she had eggs.

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
She is beautiful

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad she's doing better.

Flipburry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sebastian
Wow, I'm so happy she's doing better!
The sweaters were pretty cute too

Hotpockets

Strolling the yard
I know this is an older thread but can you tell me what the homemade collar is made from? I assume the sweaters are socks?

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
An Update.

In Feb 2017 (age 11ish), Puck decided to lay some eggs. She snipped her feathers a little. I removed eggs and she did not seem to care. She stopped with two eggs.

Jan 2018: She laid 3 eggs. I did not give her fake eggs. She may have messed with her feathers but I did not really notice.

April 2018. She started to have eggs again. This time, I decided to give her fake eggs, since this is the second time this year for her to have eggs. She started to pluck: right now she has somewhat of a bare spot by her neck. She seemed uneasy to have eggs in her sleep cage (where she is laying her eggs). After she laid two eggs, and had her fake eggs for four days, I decided to remove fake eggs while she was not looking. I do not believe she plucked more feathers since I removed fake eggs. I think she will let her feathers grow back. I really do not want her to wear collar unless she really have to, and I do not think she needs it. (Good thing that they are unfertilized eggs. I think she will be a horribly neglectful mommy bird!!! )

Just to be sure I took her (and others who needed annual exam anyway) to the vet. He said she is healthy and considering her patterns of plucking and egg laying, he thinks there is nothing to really worry about unless she lays excessively.

At this point, I really believe that she plucks when she is under physical or emotional stress:
1) every single time I have to be out of town for a few days, she plucks a little (clearly an established pattern. emotional cause).
2) hormonal issue. I really believe her plucking back in 2010 (age 4) was due to her hormonal change. I did not know back them, but she was really acting crazy and somewhat scared because she was feeling strange.

I hope this offers some insight for those who are dealing with pluckers.

Reactions: LWK