• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

All that modern technology and still nothing.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
Argh.....Bentley is my 11 year old Heeler mix. He's been a healthy, happy dog most of his life, except for a brief blip that was cancer. It was on the tissue that surrounded his prepuce, so they removed most of his prepuce and it's like it never happened (unless you're looking down there). If you don't know what the prepuce is, you probably don't want to know:cool: . It never came back and he's not had any other major or minor events other than a torn dew claw here and there. Oh, he had a partially collapsed lung when I adopted him at 16 weeks old from untreated pneumonia. Treatment cleared it up, but it took several weeks because the pneumonia was resistant to the first three antibiotics the vet tried. No other colds since then.

A few weeks ago, I found a yellowish stain on the carpet that could only be doggie bile (vomit). I cleaned it up, but since I have two dogs, couldn't determine who the culprit was. I didn't worry about it since it was a small spot with no undigested matter in it and both dogs seemed fine. About three days later, I saw Bentley throw up. It was just bile. I thought to myself, well he's acting fine, so if it happens again, I'll take him in. About seven or eight days later, I found another spot on the carpet but it was dried and in the guest bedroom which I'm not in very often, so I couldn't be sure I hadn't missed it from before. That same day, Bentley threw up again. I called the vet and made an appointment. They couldn't see him until the next day and didn't think it was an emergency since he had no other symptoms. Later that night, he threw up again. By this time, I was pretty worried. He was acting fine and I know some dogs have sensitive stomachs that cause them to occassionally throw up, but not Bentley. He has an iron stomach. If he throws up, it's because he got in the bathroom trash and ate too much tissue and it needed to come up.

We went to the vet and they told me what I already knew. Vomitting is a pretty vague symptom and with no other symptoms it's going to be like looking for a needle in a haystack. They started out with bloodwork, which looked fine. His liver values were a tad high, but nothing to worry about for a dog his age. They did an abdominal x-ray which looked fine. She did mention his liver is a little odd shaped, but doesn't appear to be enlarged. No fever, heart sounds fine. Breathing sounds fine. They did x-rays of his neck & chest to check his lungs and his trachea. She mentioned there were some spots on his lungs that she'd like the radiologist to look at but that as dogs age, lungs can start to look like 'old dog lungs', so it's probably nothing,especially since he could have scarring from the pneumonia battle as a pup.

$500 worth of testing and no clues. She said it could be acid reflux. An endoscopy would give more clues if it was digestion based, but that requires putting him under. So she sent us home with pepcid and said to try that for two weeks before we proceed with more invasive tests. The radiologist was coming in for a different consult this week and she would have her go over his chest x-rays.

Got the call yesterday that the radiologist looked over his chest x-rays and the spots are lesions, not scarring. Small ones, but they "look like pneumonia lesions". She said it's a little odd that he has no symptoms of pneumonia, but it does happen occassionally. They prescribed Baytril & Amoxicillian for two weeks. We go back afterwards for another chest x-ray. He is to continue with the Pepcid also.

They can't say whether he was getting sick because of pneumonia or whether he aspirated when he was getting sick and it caused pneumonia. It could be either, so we still know nothing. I'm actually concerned that the lesions aren't pneumonia, but something else......especially since the term 'look like pneumonia lesions' was used and not 'he has pneumonia'.

I hope the medicine clears everything up and he's fine, but I know there's a possibility it's not pneumonia or if it is, there's also something else going on. He's acting fine, as always. Hasn't gotten sick since Monday night, but he wasn't getting sick regularly enough to gauge anyway. It's just he never gets sick, so I thought we should get it checked out. I'm concerned. My previous dog was diagnosed with CHF at 11 years old and it's a touchy age for me now. I guess all we can do is wait the two weeks and get more x-rays done. Just wanted to vent.

Last edited:

jeme3

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
Wishing you and Bentley the best.

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
Ugh, I hate it when that happens. It was like that for my budgie Belle. Couldn't find out what was wrong and never did unfortunately.

I wish you the best of luck with the situation, I really hope they find out what is wrong or hope that at least the medicine helps.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I hope everything works out. Thinking of you two :hug8:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
P.s. I would probably have the endoscopy done to see what's going on. Unfortunately x-rays can't show everything. :hug8:

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
Bentley is free fed, but he only goes to his food and eats it around 7pm, unless I put something extra on it. Just in case it was an acid build up problem, I started filling up his food bowl with only 1/2 cup of food in the morning and putting chicken broth on it so he'll eat it in the morning. Then I give him is last 1/2 cup around noon and it sits until he's ready to eat it in the evening.

Last night, he was fidgetting a lot before bedtime, which is not like him and sure enough he got sick in the night. Unfortunatley, I didn't wake up so didn't know until this morning. BUT, this time, there was a ping pong ball sized mass in it. It's pretty compacted but it appears to be some sort of fabric or fuzz. Over the Christmas holidays, we were visiting relatives and they have a resident Toy Destructor Deluxe who systematically destroyed all the dogs stuffed toys, so its possible he got a hold of a piece of toy before we managed to grab it and throw it away. It actually cheered me up a little, because it's a clue.

I agree about the endoscopy. Since this didn't show up on the x-ray, there might be more and we won't know without something like an endoscopy being done. I kept the mass (Sorry, gross I know) and put it in a plastic baggie for the vet. I also called the vet and left a message. They're normally in on weekends, but they just hired two new vets and are using this month's weekends as a sort of transition/training period for the clinic. They check messages throughout the day though and I don't think it's an emergency, so didn't call the page number. Hopefully, this has been what the problem is all along and what came up was all of it. Fingers crossed!

After all the testing, I think Bentley knows we're stumped. I woke up to him on the floor staring at me and as soon as my feet hit the floor he high tailed to the door and looked back, so I followed him and he took me right to the spot on the floor and sniffed the 'mass', then looked at me and went to the back door to go out for his morning potty.

lzver

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Laura
That mass he threw up could very likely have caused the vomiting. Years ago my parents had a dog that had unexplained vomiting very similar to what you describe. After tests they couldn't find anything wrong. Then we were away and boarding the dog at the vet and he threw up a sock while he was there ... No more vomiting after that. I hope that is all it is and it isn't anything serious.

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
Thanks. I'm hoping he got all of it up and that the spots on his lungs are because he aspirated some bile and the antibiotics clear up any infection from that.

He's not worried. He's lounging around today, as carefree as ever!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Wow! I hope that mass was what was causing him problems. But you definitely want to make sure there isn't more in there. An obstruction can be scary!

Hoping Bentley is feeling better!! HUGS all around! :hug8:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I know the worry of an undiagnosed illness! Praying Bently will not have any more problems, and that the ones he does have are simply fixed.

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
Thanks everyone. He sure had no problem scarfing up the pellets Maggie was throwing at him a few minutes ago. So far so good today. He even went and played in the snow for a little while, since the vet said no long walks until we get his lungs cleared up.

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
An update: Bentley got sick again on Sunday night and it was undisgested food but nothing else. He goes in for exploratory surgery tomorrow morning :sad4:. He's 11, but all his blood values are fine and organs look fine so they don't think there's any greater risk than if he were younger. They don't have staff throughout the night, so he'll have to be transported to the emergency clinic to spend the night there tomorrow :cry3:.

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
He does still have the small lesions on his lungs that they are calling pneumonia but his breathing is clear and the spots are small, so they do not believe it is a reason to delay surgery. He's really Moma's boy so I hope he does well spending the night at the clinic tomorrow night, but he needs experienced hands keeping an eye on him after surgery so it's for the best.

southernbirds

Good luck. I am sure he will do well. Will be looking for updates on his condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.