• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

All Living Things (R) PetSmart cage coating?

HeatherD

Meeting neighbors
Hello,

I've read a lot useful information on this forum before, but this is my first time posting.

Does anyone have experience with PetSmart brand cages All Living Things?

I just purchased a conure-sized cage (Skyscraper model 5264390) with an "easy-clean" tray. The instruction booklet in the package says to clean the cage using "a soft cloth or a Teflon-resistant scrubber."

I'm wondering if they would use Teflon or anything potentially unsafe in the cage coating?

All Living Things makes other powder coated cages and the finish does look to be powder coated, but the cleaning information seemed strange. I called the phone number listed, and it was just PetSmart's number rather than the manufacturer, so they were unable to help (told me to try reading the box or doing an internet search haha).

I think it's probably safe, but I wanted to see if you guys have any experience with these cages.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

HeatherD

Meeting neighbors
Update: I tried an internet search for "Teflon-resistant scrubber" and all the top search results were for Prevue cages, which is reassuring. So I guess that means there is a good chance that Prevue makes this cage for PetSmart, or that the manufacturer copied Prevue's cleaning instructions. The design has some similarities to a Prevue cage, so I figured it was a knockoff of their designs but maybe they are the manufacturer, which would indicate the cage is powder coated if that is true.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Most of the All Living Things stuff is repackaged/branded stuff by other companies. Teflon resistant is probably a weird way of saying "non abrasive". Basically if it's safe for Teflon it is safe for the cage. That is really weird for them to say though!

It should simply be powdercoated.

That actually is almost too small of a cage though for most birds, especially after adding toys and perches. The dimensions should be 1.5 to 2 times wider than their wingpsan, and as deep. Conures range in size from 15" wingspan to 27", so minimum dimensions should be at least 22" even for the smallest species.

Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages

HeatherD

Meeting neighbors
Ah okay, thanks!

Yeah the cage was the largest that was sold at PetSmart. I found one that was a little bit bigger at PetCo, but there was no way I could fit the box in my car. I have a cage on order (Prevue model 3153) at a petstore one state away, that I'll have to rent a larger vehicle to drive over and pick up when it arrives. (I can't really have cages shipped to my apartment complex easily, and I will be moving in the somewhat near future.) I bought this PetSmart product as a temp cage until I get the real cage, to briefly house a pionus during nighttime. I'm currently home all day so I figured it would be ok. There was a photo of a pionus on the front of the box and they photoshopped a sun conure in it (not true to scale as it turns out), but you're right the cage is really small. I thought maybe it would be useful to recycle as a budgie flight cage, but it's even on the small side for that. Thanks for the advice!