• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Alexandrine parrot!!!

Latency

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ashley
Going to go see the baby Alex tomorrow.. still not sure of a name, hopefully we'll find out the gender when we go up there!
Super excited, definitely going to come back with pictures. I wonder how different he'll look after just one week!! :heart:

Latency

Real Name
Ashley
Well, somewhat royally pissed. :shifty:
We drove the 50 minutes to go see him today only to get told once we got there that he wasn't there today..
The poor shop lady felt so bad and me being a pregnant ball of hormones had to resist bursting into tears while Brad said "Oh, it's okay." and in my head I'm thinking "No, it's not okay. It's far from okay. I won't get to see him next week." etc etc.

Sigh. I know breeders are humans too, we all get busy, I can't hold it against anyone. I just wish he was there. I feel like he's gonna look SO different when I finally get to see him.
The shop lady told us she would buy him a toy or something to compensate for the gas and the trouble.. I'm less concerned about the gas than the time I don't get to spend with him, but I appreciate the thought nonetheless.

Ohwell. Hopefully I'll have pictures next week, even if I'm still in the hospital I'm gonna make Brad go and take pictures/videos. No way I'm gonna go 3 weeks without seeing him at least digitally..

RJ Noodle

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
So are you being induced? When? Sorry you didn't get to see him today that really bites. Good luck :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

Latency

Real Name
Ashley
Yeah, I don't remember if I posted it on my thread elsewhere, but I'm being induced on Wednesday. So I'll be spending the next 4 days after that in the hospital recovering. I may be able to leave sunday, but I don't know what time, or if I'll be okay to walk around or if it's straight home and in bed..

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
Good luck, I hope everything goes smoothly for you tomorrow. You are a hero, brave girly :hug8:

Latency

Real Name
Ashley
So I got the message yesterday that the baby alexandrine is a girl. :)
Not gonna lie, I'm a little bummed, but it's okay. I'm sure she's a fantastic bird regardless, and I'm sure brad is excited to have a 'daddy's little girl' hehe :p

I need some girl names...!! A few I've thought of last night/today..
Koopa(kinda guy-ish but it's cute)
Clover (or) shamrock (real original right?)
Siren(?)
I should be able to leave the hospital on Saturday night or Sunday mornin so it's likely I'll see her this week.. Maybe ill get a better feel for her personality. :)

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
Chloe means "green shoot" in Greek :) Glad you are healing :hug8: :hug8:

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
Esmeralda means emerald in Spanish. :) And you could call her Ezzie :hilarious:

Latency

Real Name
Ashley
Also perhaps Gale .. (Brad is Irish and she is green, hence clover/shamrock)

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
Irish names that are pretty:

Keela means a beauty that only poetry can capture

Teagan means beautiful.

Latency

Real Name
Ashley
Went to go see her today!! She's so big.. Still pretty ratty looking(I blame the parents plucking her) but I think she's adorable. :heart: Plus my boyfriend is totally swooning over her every time we visit, which is wonderful to see.
She's a FIRECRACKER! Very very bitey.. but we're going to work on breaking that beaky habit early! She'll learn real fast she can't push us around with that big red beak of hers. :wacky:
They're not sure when she'll be ready to come home, she's in that phase of not wanting hand feedings but not eating enough solid foods. Maintaining weight, just not gaining it. Next time we visit we'll bring a few foot toys for her to play with. :hilarious:
Still not sure on a name though.. Hmmm. I'm betting it'll be about 6 weeks(maybe less?) before she comes home.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
The beak is like a sunrise so my name would be Marisol. I am a believer that names sends messages ie Marisol is a gentle name and beautiful. People that hear it would handle or talk to her in a gentle manor. There are playful names, strong names etc. How do others react to the name as well as you.
How about Irish...fun, smiles, kind but impish. And she would have her own song...."Irish eyes are smiling"'
Savanah is a nice girly name.

What ever name you find no doubt she is a beautiful girl.

I forget what part of texas you are located.

Latency

Real Name
Ashley
Thank you!! I'm sure we'll find something that "clicks" for her. She is anything but gentle right now though, that's for sure!! :hilarious: The beaky baby wants to test everything with that pretty beak of hers..

I'm located about half an hour east of Dallas. :)

Latency

Real Name
Ashley
I also places a nice order on MSBS of toy parts and perches.. so I'll be making a thread in the appropriate section when that arrives.. I can't wait to start making toys!! :highfive:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
If she has a softer name, people are softer in their response to her and that can help with her very "forward" but parrot type behavior. Watch how people respond to certain names. Works with other animals also But I am sure you will find just the right name. :heart:

Latency

Real Name
Ashley
It's WEDNESDAY! Half way through the week! :dance5: Not much longer till we get to go see her again..(I'm so impatient!)

Last night we really buckled down on names! We've narrowed it down to two names..

Abigail (Gale for short) which means Father's Joy in Irish culture.(Brad likes the meaning of this one :xflove: )
Or Keeva.. which means Gentle, Precious, Beautiful in Irish culture. (Not so sure about the 'gentle' part but she sure is pretty and precious!)
Getting our MSBS order tomorrow!! Whoop whoop!! Will post again next time we visit her and will have updated baby pictures, toy pictures, and maybe a name if we decide then!! :heart:

Latency

Real Name
Ashley
She's getting so much bigger! And she's doing way better than last week as far as biting. More curious beaking, less chomping. I don't think she drew blood this week. :p we've decided to name her Abigail(Gale for short). And she's definitely a daddy's girl lol. She's curious about everything!! Played with the baby link and the aviator harness we brought. But she resisted chewing on Brad's wooden earrings. (Yes he left them in while she was on his shoulder!! :O )
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405300807.586534.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405300830.740082.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405300842.558460.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405300866.205975.jpg

vmashley03

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
I love her name! Seems like she will keep you guys busy and it's oh so sweet that Brad had a special connection with her! Can't wait to see more pics--especially when she gets to come home with you!!!! So exciting :dance4:

Latency

Real Name
Ashley
Pictures from when we went to see Gale last Sunday.. I think she's gonna be a no-shoulder bird(for me, anyways.) Brad will let her on his shoulder for a short period of time, and she'll play with his hair, but last Sunday she bit his cheek :eek: and of course I'm constantly worried she's gonna bite his ear/earring/eye/etc.. I'm way too paranoid. I only recently started letting Pascal on my shoulder for more than a minute or so at a time, and he's NEVER bitten our faces/ears/etc! (He rides on Brad's shoulder pretty much every day.)
She's got a little bit of a shadow ring going on and I think it's adorable. :x3: I hope she keeps it into maturity. :hug8:

First thing we're gonna work on when she comes home is BATH TIME! :wtf: :hehe:
But she's still very adventurous, I don't think she'll have any issues at all playing with her toys and figuring out her foragers. :dancing:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I am not encouraging shoulder. I do though think people misread at times. This may or may not be the case. Birds use their beak and grab the cheek or edge of mouth to turn your head so you can feed them or to see what is in your mouth. Some are more aggressive with this and need to learn gentle. Birds take a bit to learn that our skin is not like their feathers. Watch them in the wild...they play by pulling feathers or grooming feathers. We are no different. They need to groom skin tags or remove them. Have something other than you to play with such as a folded pair of baby socks. Distraction is a great technique as is replacement with another activity.

Good luck...you are making head way