• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Alexandrine needs a new home (MN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I am cross-posting this for a friend of mine that is trying to rehome her beloved parrot, Olive.

"Olive is a ~4yo Alexandrine Ringneck Parakeet, the largest species of parakeet in the world! Not only that, she talks too! Not as clear as a bird like an african gray, but her most common phrase is "What are you doing?" and when she's sad she makes a sound like a crying baby. She says other things too, but I cant decipher them. She's not a fan of hands, but is happy to fly over to your shoulder or land on your head, and is behaved enough to leave your ears alone and will fly away at a forceful shrug. She steps up beautifuly on one of her sticks, and if you have a treat will step up on your arm. Normally, having her step up isnt a necessity, being she loves being with people and will be over to you in a jiff. But, if it's something you want, with some work, she'll be there in no time. I had her very close to it before I moved. She loves being pet on her head and neck, and ive been working on her to make a sighing noise after you give her a kiss on the head or beak.

Olive comes with her large ~ 4.5ft tall cage, a huge box full of toys, a 2 month's supply of healthy food, plenty of treats and footsie toys, and her awesome java tree stand with base.

I recently moved to a new house and the occupants are constantly complaining about the noise she makes. Olive IS a parrot, and when I leave the room she does call for me. It's not ear piercings, but it is constant and loud. If she were somewhere where she could be kept in a living room with constant activity around her (like she was at my old place), the only time she would make noises is in the morning, otherwise aside from the talking she's silent."

Olive is a very sweet and personable bird, but her owner is really in a tight spot right now and really doesn't have another option. She is devestated by having to do this, I feel so bad for her :(
She wants to do some interviewing, and she will require that you meet the bird and of course, prefers someone with bird experience for her beloved parrot. I told her I would post this here for her, as she desperately wants to find Olive a home with parrot-experience. If you're interested, please contact Chelsea at cholmmc@yahoo.com

Here are some pictures:

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Im so sorry for your friend. I hope that she is able to find her a wonderful home.

ferdinand

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
chul
Is she in the cities? Hmm...someone is going to kill me if i keep having MBS thoughts.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
go for it Ferdinand :D

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
It'd be great if she went to an AA member.

I hope she finds a wonderful home for Olive, I can only imagine how hard and upsetting it would be. :(

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Iv got my fingers crossed for you Ferdinand:)

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
What's one more Ferdinand?

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
What's one more Ferdinand?

I very much agree! You've got a lovely bird room, and I think Olive would make a wonderful addition :D

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Oh Ferdinand I hope you get her!! I have such a soft spot for alexandrines.

They aren't as cuddly as other species and a lot of people are put off by that, not to mention they make you work for their trust. BUT once you have it... ooooh they are soooo sooo love able.

I am crossing my fingers and toes for you ferdinand.

ferdinand

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
chul
Looks like we can look into it...which was a lot better than what I was expecting :dance4: We will see what happens!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
oh yay! Keep us updated

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thats wonderful,I so hope that you get her:)

ferdinand

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
chul
I just sent her an email - we will see what she says...I feel like I have a cheering section in here! :highfive:

Last edited:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I cant imagine her not approving you as a wonderful home for her fid.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ill keep my fingers crossed,but your such an awesome home for her that Im sure that its not needed;)

Please let us know as soon as you hear something.

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
:omg: I have *ALWAYS* wanted an Alexandrine, but could NEVER find one for adoption in MN! Now that there is finally an Alex up for adoption, and I don't have the time or money to adopt.

FJSKLDJFSKLDJFKLFD. THAT JUST FIGURES.

I hope Olive finds a great home. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.