• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Agressive baby Cockatiel

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hello, it's me again. So I've got this 2 months and 3 weeks old baby tiel. I've never owned a tiel this young, so I got a few questions about her behavior. She normally sits around quietly, occasionally eating and drinking. She doesn't really care for scritchies or affection even though we offer her that daily. She does this weird thing where she suddenly goes nuts, flying very fast and aggressively, occasionally screaming (she doesn't scream in flight normally). Then she lands on her cage and starts flailing and hissing with her wings wide open. She even did this upside down hanging from the cages wall. She also did this much lower on the cages door and almost fell down. Soon enough she returns normal and starts eating. We yet don't have any toys for her to play with, only some cardboard rolls which she doesn't care about. Is she just throwing a tantrum or should I get worried? She also gets to be outside of her cage pretty much all day long.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Not aggressive in the slightest. What you saw was a spook followed by a flight response.

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Not aggressive in the slightest. What you saw was a spook followed by a flight response.
I see, thank you. Is it normal that she does this everyday? She just suddenly starts flailing her wings and tossing her head and hissing. Could it be from stress since she has been with us for only a week? I really have no clue what could've spooked her, since atleast I've never noticed that anything would have passed our window or anything.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I see, thank you. Is it normal that she does this everyday? She just suddenly starts flailing her wings and tossing her head and hissing. Could it be from stress since she has been with us for only a week? I really have no clue what could've spooked her, since atleast I've never noticed that anything would have passed our window or anything.
She's a baby bird. Learning the ways of the world. A threat only needs to be perceived to be real. It's not stress. Yes it's because you've only had her a week. How confident would you be in one week? It's a perfectly normal behaviour. End of thread.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Just make sure she is not injured. Have you examined her little body and feathers to be sure there are no abnormalities?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Could be something as small as a fly, a reflection or shadow that you don't notice! My Hahns used to scream about squirrels, my green cheek reacted to blue jays and my Quaker would freak out about something I never figured out lol

Is her cage right in front of a window?

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Just make sure she is not injured. Have you examined her little body and feathers to be sure there are no abnormalities?
She's a-ok! Feathers are normal and her body seems fine, doesn't seem to shy any part.
Could be something as small as a fly, a reflection or shadow that you don't notice! My Hahns used to scream about squirrels, my green cheek reacted to blue jays and my Quaker would freak out about something I never figured out lol

Is her cage right in front of a window?
Yup, there's a window to our backyard. We live in second floor with a tree right behind the window. The tree has no leaves, but there might be occasionally a crow flying by.

Thank you all for your answers!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Could also be a reflection of glass hitting the a wall or ceiling... such as a glass you drink out of, glasses you wear, light bouncing off the screen of your phone, or something else.