• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

aggression

drspinner1224

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello there my parents have 2 cockatiels and for the last 3 days the what I believe is the male has been aggressive towards her. Which is out of character. So I played a hunch shredded newspaper in the cage and the female actually has it all in a corner like a nest. But the real problem is she now dosent allow him near her and when I go near the cage she jumps out of the shredding EXTREMELY aggressive and her mouth wide open like she's attacking me and stays there screaming until I walk away.
I have no idea why or what is happening. I don't know anything about these birds.
Can someone please help with maybe a Web I can read up on or advice from a similar experience even someone who knows about these birds. I really would appreciate any and all the help possible.
Thank you.
Mike

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Sounds like they are in full hormone season. Hopefully someone with 'tiels will be along soon with help.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sounds like hormones. If you can take the paper out without overly upsetting her, I would. Also, increase their hours of darkness. Tiels typically need 10-12 hours of sleep. Bump it up to 12-14. Also, rearranging the items in the cage can help the nestiness. A tiel generally only wants to lay eggs in an environment it's comfortable in. So a new set up may help decrease the urge.

@cassiesdad ? @Monica?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Agree, sounds like hormones. Different cage, different cage setup, different location for cage, more sleep hours or less sleep hours, diet change..... these are things that may help to reduce hormones. It will depend on the tiels, of course!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Now for the other option. Leave them alone and just feed and water them until they come out of breeding mode. They are doing what nature is telling them to do. Within four weeks the loving pets will be back. The birds may even be close to normal when out of the cage for exercise. If they lay eggs and you don't want babies, you have to either refrigerate the eggs for 12 hrs to abort the embryos or throw out the real eggs and buy fake eggs to give them to sit on. They eventually get tired of brooding dead eggs and give up, abandoning the nest. They are done with reproduction for the year.

The Goddess created every living creature with the imperative to create more of it's species, and that is what they are doing. Allow them to be birds.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Now for the other option. Leave them alone and just feed and water them until they come out of breeding mode. They are doing what nature is telling them to do. Within four weeks the loving pets will be back. The birds may even be close to normal when out of the cage for exercise. If they lay eggs and you don't want babies, you have to either refrigerate the eggs for 12 hrs to abort the embryos or throw out the real eggs and buy fake eggs to give them to sit on. They eventually get tired of brooding dead eggs and give up, abandoning the nest. They are done with reproduction for the year.

The Goddess created every living creature with the imperative to create more of it's species, and that is what they are doing. Allow them to be birds.
I fully agree. Your tiels are doing what comes naturally. I know it's hard to see all the aggression- but remember- don't take it personally. Hang in there-this time of hormones does pass...

Wolf

Jogging around the block
As has already been stated this is a part of their reproductive cycle and the aggression is just them protecting their nest and possible eggs and is completely normal. At this point in time I would let her lay her eggs but watch for any excessive straining as this could be a sign of egg binding which is you biggest danger. Then I would seriously consider putting them on a strict solar schedule of lighting. For now you need to make sure that they are getting an adequate supply of calcium and if possible 20 minutes each day of natural sunshine that is not coming in through any glass or screening so that they can convert the vitamin D-3 precursers into vitamin D-3 so that they can use the calcium in their bodies. They can tolerate temperature that are near 50 deg. F. for this length of time especially if you break it into two 10 minute sessions, and you keep them sheltered from the wind.