• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Age Guesses?

RPM

Sitting on the front steps
I can't figure this out! Haha! How old is she approximately and why the brown cere when she arrived if she was just a baby???

First Pic 3 after we took her in.
Arrived with...
* brown cere (at least 6 months old?)
* fully black eyes (under 4 months?)
* black lines very near to the cere (under 4-6 months?)

Second Pic today, 2.5 months after arrival...
* white cere with a dot of blue
* faint thin gray iris (4-6 months? Which would put her at 2-3 months upon arrival???)
* black lines a little further back (recent first molt 3-4 months?)

Attachments

RPM

I can't figure this out! Haha! How old is she approximately and why the brown cere when she arrived if she was just a baby???

First Pic 3 after we took her in.
Arrived with...
* brown cere (at least 6 months old?)
* fully black eyes (under 4 months?)
* black lines very near to the cere (under 4-6 months?)

Second Pic today, 2.5 months after arrival...
* white cere with a dot of blue
* faint thin gray iris (4-6 months? Which would put her at 2-3 months upon arrival???)
* black lines a little further back (recent first molt 3-4 months?)
I don't know how to edit my original text... first picture is 3 WEEKS after we took her in.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Hope it's not my eyes going but in the first pic her cere looks (baby) blue. Any brown you saw was likely dried-on formula.
My guess, as it's only a guess - 5½ to 6 months. Bear in mind diet and metabolism are big players in early development.

RPM

Hope it's not my eyes going but in the first pic her cere looks (baby) blue. Any brown you saw was likely dried-on formula.
My guess, as it's only a guess - 5½ to 6 months. Bear in mind diet and metabolism are big players in early development.
The first picture is 3 weeks after she came to us and started a healthy diet. Her cere had turned white by then. Any blueish tint is just shadowing. But in the second pic from today, she just started this blue dot on a fully white cere. I don't know what THAT'S about haha!

RPM

Here is a picture the day we got her, after moving her to a fresh clean cage. After going back and looking at this, her head lines look much further back than a closeup side pic. Haha! I'm just trying to figure this out a decent guess so I can create a file for her and will know what to tell the vet.

Attachments

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Here is a picture the day we got her, after moving her to a fresh clean cage. After going back and looking at this, her head lines look much further back than a closeup side pic. Haha! I'm just trying to figure this out a decent guess so I can create a file for her and will know what to tell the vet.
Well that one shows a mature female in breeding condition, so whoever sold this girl was not totally honest (she could easily have been 4 months of age). The cere will sometimes change back to a very pale (creamy) colour when they are out of breeding condition - the trigger point is around 13 hours. More than 13 hours will bring them into breeding condition, less will often cause them to revert. I have one female (Angel) who's always in breeding condition and one (Pepper) that has only been triggered once in the time I've had her, so they don't always follow the rules :facepalm:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
In the most recent photo I thing she is at maturity, at least one year or 2 at. Best. The cere color is the key.

Scorpi0

Jogging around the block
Well that one shows a mature female in breeding condition, so whoever sold this girl was not totally honest (she could easily have been 4 months of age). The cere will sometimes change back to a very pale (creamy) colour when they are out of breeding condition - the trigger point is around 13 hours. More than 13 hours will bring them into breeding condition, less will often cause them to revert. I have one female (Angel) who's always in breeding condition and one (Pepper) that has only been triggered once in the time I've had her, so they don't always follow the rules :facepalm:
Are you talking about 13 or more hours of daylight?

RPM

There was no info given. They were in a bad living condition and an urgent immediate placement of 5 in a tiny filthy cage being kept in a garage. I automatically assumed she was in breeding condition because of the cere but I posted closer pictures of her eyes (no iris ring at all, fully black) and headbands near the cere and people commented that she was a baby under 4-6 months. Within a couple of weeks of healthy diet her cere was stark white and stayed white. She was very clumsy and messy at the time like a baby but now after 2.5 is better at getting around and preening. Others commented that the brown cere could have been from malnutrition instead. She's now 2.5 months after this picture has a thin gray ring in the eyes... indicating 4-6 months.. which would put her at 1.5-3.5 months when she arrived... but in breeding condition...? It doesn't make sense to me because the age signs oppose each other. It's really not an issue. I just like to know for medical purposes and care. For example... her clumsy and messy ways and cage floor sitting in the beginning could be ok of she was a baby but a really bad sign as an adult. Thankfully either way, she's no longer showing any of those signs.

Attachments

LiveLolBrd

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lana
I think about 5-6 months old.
If there is no rings around the eyes it could be one of the budgies who never get the rings. I forget the name for the type of budgie.

RPM

I think about 5-6 months old.
If there is no rings around the eyes it could be one of the budgies who never get the rings. I forget the name for the type of budgie.
There wasn't when we got her 2.5 months ago but a thin gray ring now. There is another female from the same rescue and she was the exact same... brown cere but baby full black eyes... now white cere with a thin gray ring around the eyes.
I think you're right about the age but the brown ceres must've been from something else because they would've been only 2 months back then.