• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

African Ringeck, Imports, Food & Damaged Feathers

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm currently caring for an ARN (Sylphie) with an unknown history. First thread about her can be found here -> Pictures - Foster Bird | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

It seems that her leg band might be an import band after '92? Prior to '92, import bands were round steel with 3 letters and 3-4 numbers. She has a flat purple leg band with 3 letters and 5 numbers, which I have been informed is the new method of ID'ing imports. (flat open band with 3 letters and 5 numbers) If this is true, this would indicate that she was imported through California. Judging by her behavior, she doesn't appear to have been a pet before, and seems drawn to windows. (tries to fly through them) It makes me wonder about her past.

Her band has been removed now.

I got her eating Nutriberries and pellets easily enough, however she had shown no interest in fresh/cooked food. I usually feed mash and dry foods separately so I can better judge how much is getting eaten vs how much is being wasted or ignored. Well, she hasn't really taken any interest in the mash, so today I crumbled up a couple of Nutriberries into the mash, mixed around and put back into the cage. It pretty much went like this.

-Adds mash to cage-

Looks at dish, studies it, decides nothing is good inside, doesn't move from perch

-Adds two crumbled Nutriberries to dish, mix around, back into cage-

Studies dish again. Still not interesting enough to come down.

-Adds one entire Nutriberry-

Comes down, grabs Nutriberry and proceeds to eat it.

After finishing berry, investigate dish again. Grabs something moist.

OMG! What is that? -flings head- :hehe:

Goes back, grabs a pomegranate seed and proceeds to eat it.

Hmmm... ok. That's not too bad. -goes through dish for other foods and proceeds to eat a few more things-

Well, that was easy!

Here's hoping Sylphie continues to eat mash! Right now, she's trying to chew her way out of the cage... and once out, all she tries to do is get through the window. :facepalm:

She did startle me the other night. My birds are typically pretty quiet once it's dark as long as they aren't disturbed. Well, Sylphie decided to vocalize a little (she's pretty quiet!) after dark and I froze, thinking there was a bird outside the window! :o:

Her tail and flight feathers are quite the mess though. She's molted a few of them out already. Stress bars galore. Broken and/or chewed feathers, too...

The feather with the most stress bars even has some blood on the end of it.... so really hoping her new feathers grow in strong and healthy! And she doesn't destroy them!

BradG

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Brad
She's a very young Indian Ringneck 'keet. I don't believe she's an African 'keet. Her beak and head is too small. The ringies here absolutely hate cages - free flight throughout the bird room is what they prefer.
She's still young though. Probably been through a lot and they tend to self-destruct their feathers when they're not happy.
You know what to do, Monica. Love her, feed her (Ringies will eat ANYTHING) and she'll eventually capture your heart :heart:

InTheAir

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Claire
Poor little sweety. Sylphie is a lovely name for her. Hopefully a good diet and environmental enrichment will sort out those feathers.
definitely looks like an arn to me.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She's lucky to have you, in time, feathers will improve and I'm sure she's gonna settle in. :hug8:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@BradG As per her leg band info, she's definitely an import! And she's definitely an ARN! Baby ringnecks have dark eyes. Adults have yellow/orange eye rings as adults. Sylphie definitely has the yellow eyes.

Baby ringnecks
http://www.indianringneck.com/1socializingparrots/YoungRingnecksWeaning.jpg

Adult female African Ringneck
http://www.parrotfeather.com/asiatics/africanringnecks/female-african-ringneck.jpg

African ringnecks are smaller, not larger, than indian ringnecks. She weighs about 100 grams. IRN's typically weight around 115 grams, give or take?

As per the info I've found out thus far, she was probably shipped out of Senegal and arrived through California. I don't know what year she was imported, but if I understand how the leg band imports work, she would have been imported after 1992, which means that she may be under 20 years old.... but how old she is would be unknown since both young birds and adults are imported!

I honestly do not see any part of her as a pet bird, so it would not surprise me if she was parent raised, and if she's wild caught, well, that kind of saddens me. She's a good chewer, really likes destroying paper.... and I can definitely see her being happiest in an aviary setting - not a pet situation. Her leg band also had quite a bit of chewing on it, which made it difficult to read the numbers and letters on it. I've contacted the only breeder I can find that closely matches her leg band and he has never bred ARN's before.

Here's a close up of her head. (previous photo taken with flash) The front of her beak also has wear on it from trying to chew her way out of cages.

@InTheAir & @Birdbabe Thanks. I hope so, too! :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I may owe an apology to some. As per a contact, Sylphie was imported into the USA May of 2013. This could mean that, if she was imported at a young age, that she is less than two years old. For that matter, she might even be a "he"! On the flip side, if she was an adult when imported, we still don't know how old she is! Being a wild caught import, this would explain her poor feather quality and the amount of stress bars in her feathers.

What I do know for a fact is that she's at least over a year old, she is an ARN and she hates being in a cage! My contact was also pretty sure that she's a wild caught import from Senegal. This may account for her behavior (trying to chew out her cage and trying to escape to the outside), however I also don't know how she was kept for the first year within captivity. I don't know if she was in an outside aviary or in a cage inside.

I think, ideally, I would prefer to see her in an outdoor aviary with others like her. However, as it stands, I do not know anyone locally who keeps ARN's, so if I were to build an aviary sometime in the future, I may have to find another ARN (as rare as they seem to be, you can apparently buy them for $50 an importer, since they are shipped in by the thousands each year!) for sale (I have already come across several, none tame, all adults, some breeding pairs - all for sale in different states - and potentially a pet one in a rescue), or get a hold of my contact who gave me the information about when she came in. (actually, I have two contacts about where I could get another ARN)

As tempted as I am by this, it's not something I want to do right now... first I'd want to see if I can build an aviary (might not be able to) before getting an additional ARN (that is, with the assumption that I end up keeping her, rather than placing her in another home). Although she's been with me for a month, she's still settling in and getting used to me.

I did get some close-ups of her head. (well, images cropped) Perhaps these images may help, too?

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
Gosh, poor little thing! It must be so hard for you to see her wearing away at her beak like that!
I find it difficult to understand why people would even be importing wild caught birds, especially as they are so low in monetary value. That's just horrible!

I would think getting her a friend would help her feel better. Maybe a tame boy would be able to show her the ropes and help her settle in to living with people?
if you do keep her...

She's lucky to find you, not everyone would go to so much effort to find out about her!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm actually more interested in her feathers than her beak. Beak seems to be growing out fine, but she's made a mess of her tail and flights. She's molted a few feathers, but not enough! And the last time I was so eager to see a bird molt was last year with Jayde!

Here's a giant plant toy that I've had for several years now (actually bought two!) that my birds never took any interest in. I had it hanging in the top corner (above her), but she chewed it down.... First time, she was hanging onto the cage using the top as support when she chewed it off the link. It fell down and made a loud noise. Meanwhile, she's at the top and looking as if she didn't know what happened! Second time, she was actually chewing on it while standing on it. She *AND* the toy fell down! And once again, she had that startled "I don't know what just happened!" look! Third time, well, she was hanging onto the bars again!

I finally just attached it to the side of the cage where-in she has once again chewed it off and nearly destroyed the entire outside of it! A toy that none of my other birds have shown any interest in, and she destroys it within days!

IMAG1535.jpg

This is just a photo of her eating mash, and proof that she eats well!

IMAG1543.jpg

I originally bought this gym for Jayde but Jayde really didn't care about it. Sylphie didn't like it at first, but has decided that it's ok. She spends more time on top of the cage than on the gym, but she still uses it.

IMAG1550.jpg

IMAG1558.jpg

This picture in particular is her trying to figure out how to fly through the window.... (note to self, must keep curtains closed while she's out!)

IMAG1559.jpg

IMAG1563.jpg

And this is why I need to seriously replace the cups in the cage. Just wish I could have found stainless steel or ceramic dishes to fit instead of plastic ones! :banghead:

IMAG1565.jpg

Sylphie goes to the bottom of the cage and tries to scratch and bite her way out of the cage. Unfortunately for her, she doesn't fit through the gap. (she also tries to chew her way out in other areas)

IMAG1502.jpg

And just a couple of photos when she decided to visit me for less than a minute! (I really think she wanted to see what was in the closet!)

IMAG1538.jpg

IMAG1539.jpg

So one thing I've learned..... if there's something that my other birds show no interest in, I can give it to her and she'll use it and destroy it! :hehe:

Marci11

Meeting neighbors
So good to finally see another ARN on the boards!

Mine came into my life 3 years ago. I do not know anything about his previous life. He is completely tame, talks, whistles and has been one crazy experience.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sylphie remains skittish and shy, but we've kind of got a routine going so I can make sure she's got fresh food and water, at least. She's been molting out her flight and tail feathers. Already broke one of the new tail feathers before it was even grown out.... So she's still looking scraggly!

Nice to see you are still around Marci! I've replied to you about Bells before. The information I found from one website mentioned that ARN's are better pets than IRN's! At least they are, as per that site! LOL I'm still not sure what to do about Sylphie, as ideally, I'd like to see her in a home with another ARN and in an aviary, rather than in a pet situation. She seems to have warmed up to my tiel flock, in that I almost always find her sitting closest to the cockatiels in her cage, but I don't know if she'd be ok living with them or not. I would like to try having her live with them, but I also don't want to stress her out, if that's not what she wants.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She is a beautiful bird. :)

ladydi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Diane Colette
Monica she's pretty, I Def think ARN as beak darker and smaller build, our IRN GILMOUR has same thing with feathers and brown I guess now stress spots...and he was so scared mad etc last year took me long time to even allow me near him w no bites and blood draw...
I was so inexperienced went to AV every test done, all Neg so Vet said same that he may have wild caught.
I too would love to see him inside aviary w friends but for now largest cage and chew toys etc
He doesn't bite but by no means cuddler let's me pet head beak toesy...
He is so cute regardless of his bald spots and neurotic tendencies.
Trying new things Avicalm Featheriffic feather in and bathes like...some new growth but still pulls new ones and had two blood feathers past week...

I hope you can make life better for this cutie, so pretty green.

I've saved all Gilmour's feathers even beautiful tail feathers I now realize a lot of his issues stemmed from us and not knowing best for him.
We are learning and future will be better
Glad you have her

BradG

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Brad
Sylphie looks like she's getting comfortable. I always thought A's were bigger than I's until we visited a rescue here. There was a poor little A guy that flew away (no further comment on this) and got hit by a car. He's very healthy now and we're just thinking (thinking, only thinking) of adopting him. Hmmmmmm. Poor little guy. He's seems so lonely in his cage sitting on his little perch with his little bell all day long.

Anyway... Monica you are a great parrot person. You know what to do that would be best for her.

:heart:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
IRN's aren't much bigger than ARN's!

I would really like to introduce Sylphie and the cockatiels, see if they can co-exist in the same cage, although I have them on different diets. Sylphie is currently eating Harrison's High Potency with RPO and Nutriberries where-as the cockatiels are getting Harrison's Adult Lifetime, Goldenfeast Petite Hookbill Legume and Kaylor of Colorado Budgie/Cockatiel Seed. I always find her sitting closest to the cockatiels whenever I walk in, and she only moves when I do something in the cockatiels cage or her cage. If I go into the cockatiels' cage to clean, feed, water, etc, Sylphie goes to the farthest corner away from me. However, when I go into her cage to do some of the same things, she typically clings to the back of the cage instead of going into a corner. She also tends to stay put until I'm done, rather than freaking out and flying around the cage. I would love to put her into an inside aviary with the cockatiels, but I need to fix my car first before I can save up for an aviary!

I'm just thinking that if she could see me interact with the cockatiels in an open space that she's in as well, she may settle down further.

@BradG if you end up getting the little ARN, you'll have to let us know! :) Still wish I knew someone who had one in a large cage or aviary type situation and is looking for another!

@ladydi I think it's been a while since we've had an update on Gilmour. How's he doing?

ladydi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Diane Colette
Hey ALL @Monica yes sorry I started new job so not as much net time. Gilmour is doign well
started with AviCalm Featheriffic and Feather in plus baths, Ill load some vids and pics

i am thinking he is in a molt but bc my lack of knowledge in birds plus his plucking an dthe browning, nnot sure
where one issue starts other ends...

I also am on a FB group too if you like to see pics and vids now just give me by later today so I can show you
how Gilmour is fairing ...

Your baby is adorable, Im no expert but looks like origin of Pakistan or even ARN as beak is darker and her build smaller?
Ok so Illl look more through your post here and upload of Gil current this pic attached is older sa after he had stupid collar by Vet he actually started plucking there so now have legs neck and under wings to try and grow back in healthy...he is allowing some regrowth but at times when stressed or anxious he just pulls out neck pins and downies from under wings and legs...

browning is seen so hoping not a more hidden issue or something etc

Thanks for thinking of us Diane Colette Attiah 5003.jpg

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I am going to comment only on the feather pictures as I know nothing of Ringnecks. ;)

As I'm sure you know the wing feathers look good but clipped at the end. The smaller feathers look worn. If the diet he has been eating was not good enough he may have skipped a few much needed molts and that's why they are so worn looking. The one yellow feather looks overpreened or ( is it a tail feather? I'm assuming ) I get feathers that resemble that with my birds that reach back and hold or grab their tails. The green tail feather looks the worst however this may may you feel better.... they look like injury marks not stress bars. With all my young macaws I have learned the difference. :rolleyes: I bet he bumped the feather hard a few times when it was growing in, usually enough to cause the blood feather to bleed will make those marks.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@ladydi I understand the new job thing! Started a new job myself end of July and I just don't have as much internet time!

Good to hear Gilmour is doing well :) I *hope* that if Gilmour is molting that he's allowing the new feathers to grow in! Although it sounds like he can't stand the new feathers. Maybe he just needs bathes daily, if not multiple times in a day to help relieve the itchiness?

And yes, I'm pretty sure Sylphie is an ARN! She's just slightly smaller than an IRN.

@Macawnutz I think I agree that the flights were clipped, although I'm still thinking she's suffered quite a bit of stress, too, being within captivity, and who knows how long she was in the wild before being captured. Could be right though that those are injury marks, too. The yellow feather is a tail feather, and I'm wondering if she just destroyed it by not taking good care of her tail feathers rather than over-preening that *one* feather. I could be wrong though and maybe she over-preened it because it was yellow? It's kind of odd though as normal green ringnecks don't typically have yellow feathers. The underside of their tail feathers may be yellow, but the top is green (like blue and golds have blue topped tail feathers that are yellow underneath), but this feather is completely yellow. I don't know if she's molted the rest of the feather or not as I haven't found any more of it, nor have I seen another yellow feather come in.

I have no clue what diet she ate for her first year within the USA, but I've had no problems getting her to eat anything! Sylphie should be at least around 2 years old (give or take - if not older!) so should be in the 2nd molt, minimum. So far, no indications that she is a he.

Not best of photos but took this one this morning and you can see the new tail and flight feather growth. However, her head feathers are looking a bit scruffy (normal for ringnecks to look like crap during molt - and she's not that bad!). As you can see, she's already broken the longest tail feather that's been growing in.

IMG_20141007_072015.jpg

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sylphie has gone through two molts since she's been with me. Was sad to see she lost her long gorgeous tail feathers that she had *ONLY* just gotten not too long ago.... but now her feathers are grown out again (or mostly), and she's looking better than ever! So here's some new photos that can be used to compare to an old one a year ago. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She looks great! :)

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
She looks lovely! And she's got a little friend :)

How is she with you now?