• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

African Grey breeders near Dallas

Axsilver

Meeting neighbors
I've been thinking about getting an African Grey but I can't seem to find any reputable breeders or adoption centers near me. Whenever I am searching through the net for one they are always either really fishy or not doing business anymore. Also, is there anything that not many websites mention that I should know about Greys?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
If you are looking for a grey baby, you can't go wrong with Jean Pattison in FL. I know it isn't local but she is close to TX and she does ship and she's been in the business for forever in a day. I'd kill to have one of her greys!

African Queen Aviaries

Axsilver

Meeting neighbors
How do you feel about birds being shipped to you? To me it seems like it would cause them a lot of stress, and I'd like to get a bird that I have met before to make sure we will get along well. Am I just being a little paranoid?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
How do you feel about birds being shipped to you? To me it seems like it would cause them a lot of stress, and I'd like to get a bird that I have met before to make sure we will get along well. Am I just being a little paranoid?
I've had several birds shipped to me, including all three of my pet Galahs. They all came from the same breeder in Georgia and I live in Wisconsin. Shipping is really much easier than you think and causes much less stress to a bird than a long drive would. There are impediments to shipping, you can't do it in certain weather conditions, too cold, too hot. I have used Delta in every case but one, when I got a pair of Linnies from California and they went United. I've never had a problem. I do hear you on the not being able to meet the bird first and that can be a negative as well but for one of Jean's birds, I'd do it in a heartbeat if I was looking for a baby grey. She has an unbeatable reputation. Right now, several of my greys are in their 20s and if anything ever happened to them...well, I hate to even think of it to be honest with you. I would never even hesitate to get a grey, sight unseen from Jean.

Axsilver

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for the reply, do you have any other recommendations for an African grey breeder? I feel a little safer about shipping and speaking of, do her prices include shipping?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thank you for the reply, do you have any other recommendations for an African grey breeder? I feel a little safer about shipping and speaking of, do her prices include shipping?
Greys are getting harder to come by because the wild caught bird stock is running out and domestic males seem to have a hard time figuring out how to "get the job done":). I'm not familiar with other breeders in the Texas area but you should be able to google parrot breeders in Texas and find some.

I'm not sure what Jean is charging for these days. Typically, shipping isn't included in the price of the bird.

Axsilver

Meeting neighbors
Alright, I was wondering why most prices are upwards of $2000. Thank you for your help!

Axsilver

Meeting neighbors
Have you ever heard of T & E Aviary in Florida? They seem exceptionally cheap and therefore, fishy.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Alright, I was wondering why most prices are upwards of $2000. Thank you for your help!
That's about the going price for them these days, unfortunately.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Have you ever heard of T & E Aviary in Florida? They seem exceptionally cheap and therefore, fishy.
The only breeder I know of is Jean, sorry.

Axsilver

Meeting neighbors
I might just try getting on the waiting list for tdaviary since they have a good reputation. What do you think of bird expos? Theres one that's about to happen near me, I heard that there are many diseases that could spread there so I plan on just going there to maybe ask some questions and play with the birds.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I might just try getting on the waiting list for tdaviary since they have a good reputation. What do you think of bird expos? Theres one that's about to happen near me, I heard that there are many diseases that could spread there so I plan on just going there to maybe ask some questions and play with the birds.
Yes, I wouldn't ever buy a bird from a bird expo or fair but going and visiting is always fun!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have also read great things about Jean Pattison. She has an excellent reputation.
My Dusky Conure was shipped from Virginia to CA on Delta and except for me being stressed out and nervous and seeing him next to a bunch of chickens when I went to pick him up, there were no issues. It's always nice to meet with birds you are considering but sometimes that might not be possible.