• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures advise

andrey1068

Checking out the neighborhood
hi just got my cockatiel 17th august he now climbs out of his cage to the roof then flies to the other side of the room then onto the roof again,climbs down and goes back in his cage but when i try to approach him he backs away,sometimes he turns his back to me does he want me to stroke it or is he just ignoring me.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Welcome! he may still be adjusting to his new home and surroundings and you also. His cage is his "safe place" Even my tiels after having them for years consider their cage their "safe place" Give him time. Try offering him a treat - tiels usually love millet. Approach him slowly - talk softly.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
When mine turn their back, I consider that a big "leave me alone." Will he take a treat from you?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. Spend time sitting with him and talking to him still. It sounds like he is still settling in. And if he's turning his back on you, he wants left alone. LOL. And you really shouldn't pet a bird on its back, especially with a female. It can make them hormonal.