• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

advice: rehoming my cockatiel

ckiehl26

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone, im making this post for advice. I'm was thinking about possibly rehoming my 6 year old female cockatiel :( (which is absolutely devastating for me to even think about). For some context, I got her when I was in high school after my brother got a cockatiel (who unfortunately died) and we've been best buds ever since. she's the sweetest little girl and always just wants to cuddle and get head rubs. during my senior year of high-school my parents got divorced and my mom was taking care of the birds (we had multiple at the time). unfortunately my mom was unable to care for her well and so I wanted to be able to take her in as soon as I was able. I'm currently a sophomore at a university and ive had her here since I moved into my apartment in august. I absolutely love her to death. sadly she screams when I'm gone and I try to be at home as much as I can but it's so hard with classes, work, etc,. I also have been struggling because I find I miss out on so so many opportunities because I want to make sure I spend enough time with her (for example, whenever I'm not at class and work I spend my time alone in my room with her.) I feel like I'm unable to study with friends, spend the night at my girlfriends, or go anywhere because I need to be home with her. please please don't get me wrong, I love her to death and she is my precious baby, but sometimes I just get so sad because I feel like she is so lonely and I don't really have a life. I probably won't end up rehoming her cause I love her and have always firmly believed that pets are a commitment no matter what and it's my job to always take care of her. however, I don't think I would have made the same choice when I was 15 knowing that I'd have her in college - I really thought she would stay with my parents. anyways, I just wanted to hear some other people's thoughts.

ckiehl26

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone, im making this post for advice. I'm was thinking about possibly rehoming my 6 year old female cockatiel :( (which is absolutely devastating for me to even think about). For some context, I got her when I was in high school after my brother got a cockatiel (who unfortunately died) and we've been best buds ever since. she's the sweetest little girl and always just wants to cuddle and get head rubs. during my senior year of high-school my parents got divorced and my mom was taking care of the birds (we had multiple at the time). unfortunately my mom was unable to care for her well and so I wanted to be able to take her in as soon as I was able. I'm currently a sophomore at a university and ive had her here since I moved into my apartment in august. I absolutely love her to death. sadly she screams when I'm gone and I try to be at home as much as I can but it's so hard with classes, work, etc,. I also have been struggling because I find I miss out on so so many opportunities because I want to make sure I spend enough time with her (for example, whenever I'm not at class and work I spend my time alone in my room with her.) I feel like I'm unable to study with friends, spend the night at my girlfriends, or go anywhere because I need to be home with her. please please don't get me wrong, I love her to death and she is my precious baby, but sometimes I just get so sad because I feel like she is so lonely and I don't really have a life. I probably won't end up rehoming her cause I love her and have always firmly believed that pets are a commitment no matter what and it's my job to always take care of her. however, I don't think I would have made the same choice when I was 15 knowing that I'd have her in college - I really thought she would stay with my parents. anyways, I just wanted to hear some other people's thoughts.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks for sharing this and sorry that you're having a tough time. I always warn younger people that birds are a long-term commitment and it's better to wait until they're older. That's not a criticism of you of course. You should like a wonderful bird owner. But I'm glad someone who is young wrote about the struggles of having a bird. As an adult, I sometimes find it's hard to take care of my birds. It can be a lot. You are young and deserve to enjoy all the opportunities and things that a young person has the chance to do. Your life should be about friends and activities, etc. I am not saying that you should rehome your birds but am saying it's okay if you decide to. Are there any rescues near you? The one that I volunteer with has a home to home adoption program where the birds stays with his owner; the rescue screens potential adopters; and then the owner decides who to adopt to. Something like that might work for you.

ckiehl26

Meeting neighbors
thank you for your response. im not sure if there's a place around me yet but I started looking. I was also thinking about maybe a sanctuary like Cape Fear Parrot Sanctuary? I volunteered at one where there were many birds that got to go outside, were well taken care of etc and thought it was pretty nice.

Ollie

Checking out the neighborhood
I‘m sorry you feel you may have to rehome her but college is not a lifetime. If possible work through it as she will be there for you for many years to come. My little cockatiel Nicky lived 32 years he passed last may and my heart is still broken. I know you feel you are giving up a lot but the reward will definitely be worth the long time friendship & love.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
thank you for your response. im not sure if there's a place around me yet but I started looking. I was also thinking about maybe a sanctuary like Cape Fear Parrot Sanctuary? I volunteered at one where there were many birds that got to go outside, were well taken care of etc and thought it was pretty nice.
I think it definitely depends on the sanctuary and what they do. If a bird is very people orientated I worry if they get enough human interaction at a sanctuary. Some birds do very well in that setting but I don't know if it's for all birds. We have some cockatoos for instance that I think would do great in a sanctuary but I think it really depends on the bird.

ckiehl26

Meeting neighbors
I think it definitely depends on the sanctuary and what they do. If a bird is very people orientated I worry if they get enough human interaction at a sanctuary. Some birds do very well in that setting but I don't know if it's for all birds. We have some cockatoos for instance that I think would do great in a sanctuary but I think it really depends on the bird.
I honestly think she might do well in a sanctuary... she's very independent - she loves just eating her snacks and flying around (which I feel bad about because she will just fly circles in my small apartment room) and sitting on my shoulder but doesn't seem to care much for most people. when she was with another cockatiel they just hung out all day and she seems to perk up a lot when I play bird noises for her. I think I just worry that another owner wouldn't give her the care she needed or wouldn't love her as much as I do because she is incredibly chill and doesn't interact too much--she just likes company it seems like. let me know if you have any thoughts on this

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I honestly think she might do well in a sanctuary... she's very independent - she loves just eating her snacks and flying around (which I feel bad about because she will just fly circles in my small apartment room) and sitting on my shoulder but doesn't seem to care much for most people. when she was with another cockatiel they just hung out all day and she seems to perk up a lot when I play bird noises for her. I think I just worry that another owner wouldn't give her the care she needed or wouldn't love her as much as I do because she is incredibly chill and doesn't interact too much--she just likes company it seems like. let me know if you have any thoughts on this
You know your bird best and you know what the sanctuary is like. Some birds do very well in sanctuaries. Where are you located? You can pm if you don't want to post. I can perhaps offer some suggestions if I'm familiar with any places in your area. I know that the rescue I help with works very hard to match the right bird with the right person. If we know a bird needs a bird friend, then we make that an adoption requirement. But not all rescues operate the same way. So I think it just depends on what's available near you and what you think would work best for your bird.

Reactions: tka

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Another avenue to consider if you don't want to rehome, is there anyone that would foster your cockatiel for you until you finish college? I would have a written agreement though with them if there is someone.

ckiehl26

Meeting neighbors
Another avenue to consider if you don't want to rehome, is there anyone that would foster your cockatiel for you until you finish college? I would have a written agreement though with them if there is someone.
Unfortunately I don't know a lot of people comfortable taking care of birds, and the people I do know can't take her :(. I'm located in NC but I'm willing to drive... also I think I may go check out cape fear sanctuary on Saturday and see how it is. let me know if you know of any other places

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Are your neighbours complaining, are you feeling badly for her or both?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
These two threads have been merged to contain all responses in one place.

ckiehl26

Meeting neighbors
Are your neighbours complaining, are you feeling badly for her or both?
kind of both... my roommates are so sweet and would never say anything directly but they have mentioned how she screams and try and play music for her. I think the main issue is I just worry about her and it's also a huge strain on me. its been weighing on me too because im going to graduate a year early and want to live abroad for a year and obviously couldn't take her with me

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Do you have a cousin who could watch her for awhile?

ckiehl26

Meeting neighbors
No I do not have anyone I know that could take care of her well
I feel like it would be at least 2 years until I could maybe take care of her adequately and I don't think any of my family members would feel great about that or give her the attention she needs.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Phoenix Landing is a very good rescue in North Carolina. I'm not sure how far they are from you but they're definitely worth checking out.

ckiehl26

Meeting neighbors
Phoenix Landing is a very good rescue in North Carolina. I'm not sure how far they are from you but they're definitely worth checking out.
thanks! I put in a request but it says it usually takes a long time :( I also sent an email just to ask about the process and when I will hear back. hopefully I get a reply soon

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
thanks! I put in a request but it says it usually takes a long time :( I also sent an email just to ask about the process and when I will hear back. hopefully I get a reply soon
I know there's a long wait for male cockatoos. My guess is it's much shorter for a cockatiel. There's also a place in GA. Not sure how far that is from you or if they take birds from out of state, but it's called Miss Vicki's Parrot Village.

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
What was the outcome with the conure? You didnt update on the thread you started. Did your mother not take it to the vet?