• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice please

Bek

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Bek
Hello I have recently just bought my first Indian ringneck (on Saturday) I bought him as a 5month old. I'm wondering from the pics if anyone could tell me if this is about right. Milo is my first bird I have owned, I did a fair bit of research about the breed but found different websites say different things. Any advice would be appreciated. He also was sold as tame but he is not I've managed to do a bit of desensitisation with him and he sees much happier with me and will climb up the cage to see me rather than try getting as far away from me as possible. He looks very dull compared to some of the photos I have seen on here. The pic is in a well lit room (white bulbs) DSC_0219.JPG DSC_0224.JPG DSC_0225.JPG DSC_0225.JPG DSC_0224.JPG

Bek

Real Name
Bek
I apologise for there being two of each pic this is the first time I have ever posted

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! I don't know very much about Indian Ringnecks but wanted to say he's very cute. All birds are nervous in a new home and take some time to settle in. Just be patient with him. :)

@cassiesdad ?

Reactions: Bek

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Welcome! Babies typically have ratty, dull feathers until their first molt so I wouldn't worry too much about that. If he is on a good diet in a few month you should start seeing glossy new plumage coming in!

Also it's true that just because a bird is hand-tame doesn't mean it won't need some time to adjust to new people. Some birds are also naturally more nervous and timid and so won't warm up to a new person in a new home for weeks. Just give him time to settle in and don't force yourself on him. Good luck!

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Congratulations on your new baby. Looks pretty young to me, the eyes look dark. I'm sure with time (juvenile feathers tend to be duller than adult) and good diet, your baby will be bright and colorful. I'm not going to lie, ringnecks can be temperamental. They can be very anxious birds. Given the right home and treatment, your ringneck can become a wonderful companion. You just have to work on it and spend plenty of time with him/her. One seemingly surefire way to a ringnecks heart is through their tummy. Try offering Milo some yummy treats, ringnecks love to eat. Has Milo been sexed?

Bek

Real Name
Bek
Thank you for all your advice. What treats would you recommend? I've given him a couple of slices of apple and a couple of grapes. I've not had him sexed but keep saying him lol. I have a cage that I can have the top open, he came from inside the cage over to me (other side of the room) today so I'm guessing he is starting to trust me. I was thrilled. Atm I'm just giving him lots of praise and talking to him, leaving it up to him if he chooses to come out or not.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you for all your advice. What treats would you recommend? I've given him a couple of slices of apple and a couple of grapes. I've not had him sexed but keep saying him lol. I have a cage that I can have the top open, he came from inside the cage over to me (other side of the room) today so I'm guessing he is starting to trust me. I was thrilled. Atm I'm just giving him lots of praise and talking to him, leaving it up to him if he chooses to come out or not.
It sounds like you are making great progress already. :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The ring will come in, saving you from a DNA test, if you can wait that long.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
And just so you know, parrots belong to species, not breeds like dogs and cats, to name a few.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Millet and nutriberries are what I use when I need to REALLY bribe my IRN.

Other treats I use include banana chips, almonds, pine nuts, birdie bread, squash chips, zucchini chips, popcorn, and sweet potato chips. If it's not on my nice furniture I'll offer her fresh food in reward for listening to me as well as fresh food each morning.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Sounds like you and Milo are doing fine! You're giving him the chance to relax and approach you...kudos.

He's still young, so his feathers are going to be what would be considered "dull-looking"...time, good food, and an occasional misting will keep those feathers in good condition.
Titan loves his millet-as a treat, and relishes almonds. He's not much for fruits, but enjoys most veggies we offer. All of our birds enjoy green (bell), red, and yellow peppers...they're great in vitamin content and the birds eat them like treats...

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
I love that you are giving Milo the chance to come to you on his own terms. That is such a big step in developing a trusting relationship. Joey loves most foods, but as far as a favorite healthy treat, I would have to say fresh green beans and carrots are at the top of her list. Fruits are good too, Joey likes bananas - just watch how much you give as fruits have a lot of sugar. If he's reluctant to try new things, show him they are good by eating them too. Joey cannot resist trying to get her beak on something if I'm enjoying it.

Milo is adorable, there is just something about baby ringnecks. They just look so sweet and innocent. I miss Joey's baby stage.

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I share an Organic banana with my boys every morning. They love banana. What's funny is if I don't have any and I can't share with them, they're completely silent for the day. It's like they're wondering what they did wrong. lol I also give them raw unsalted cashews, apple, Blueberry. Seriously, Ringnecks are like garbage disposals. They like pretty much everything. :)

Bek

Real Name
Bek
Thank u everyone. Atm he has a bowl of seed and another bowl with pellets in. Is this ok? He doesn't seem to be bothering with the pellets though. I read something about them bathing what is the best thing to do? I have put a shallow bowl of water in but he hasn't been near it

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Thank u everyone. Atm he has a bowl of seed and another bowl with pellets in. Is this ok? He doesn't seem to be bothering with the pellets though. I read something about them bathing what is the best thing to do? I have put a shallow bowl of water in but he hasn't been near it
I swear I'm not crazy but try running the vacuum cleaner when you give him a bowl to bathe in, it sometimes helps. If that doesn't work see how he reacts to a spray bottle from above, like rain. Then maybe let a bird perch claim part of the shower and see if he'll shower with you. Patience and slow, tiny steps works wonders.

Bek

Real Name
Bek
Lol ok then il give it a go

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Titan also starts to bathe when the vacuum cleaner is used. :confused:

He's not the biggest fan of misting, but we get him "misty" once every 7 to 10 days. Sopping wet isn't needed, just a very light spritz! An idea...spray up into the air and let the mist fall back onto Milo...and be upbeat about the procedure. If he sees you getting wet, he'll understand that the mist won't hurt him...;)

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
My boys head for the water bowl when the vacuum is goes on too. lol

But they don't bathe everyday...so don't worry about it. He'll get in the water and make a mess when you least expect it. :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My first thought was "poor bird". That was a horrible hack job on the wings....

Second, remove the mirror. It's not needed and it can do more harm than good. Replace it with something else.

Third, fruits technically aren't treats. They should be a small part of a healthy diet. Vegetables are also important. If he's not eating pellets now, that's ok. It's something that can be worked on with time. That said, here's some links that would be helpful! :)

Bird Safe Fresh Foods & Toxic Food Lists & More | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

As far as conflicting info? Yes.... yes there's gonna be a lot of it! I *HATE* the training recommendations written for ringnecks! Most of it is horrible advice! Please check out the links in the following thread!

Free Training Resources | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

And this link as well... it will be important!

Barbara's Force Free Animal Training Talk: Do Animals Bluff?

You could try providing bathing opportunities in different ways. Here's some ideas!
  • Try luke-warm water
  • Try cold water
  • Try ice-cold water
  • Try a spray bottle
  • Try a plant mister
  • Try in the sink with the water running or just some water in the bottom
  • Try in the sink with the sprayer
  • Try in the tub with some water in the bottom
  • Try a casserole dish or similar with some water
  • Try the dish with ice
  • Try the dish with foot toys
  • Try the dish with some small rocks or pebbles
  • Try the dish with some leafy greens like endive or other types of lettuces that may create a "natural" bowl
  • Try the dish with a vacuum cleaner running
  • Try in the shower with you - watching you having a blast getting wet!
  • Try dancing the bird into the shower with the water already going
  • Try spritzing yourself, and have fun doing it! Then spritz the bird
  • Try outside in an empty cage large enough to spread wings during a nice rain shower
  • Try outside in an empty cage using the hose with a mist/shower attachment
  • Try playing videos of other birds bathing

All the reading in the world doesn't really prepare you for the moment they come home! :) Sometimes, everything you thought you knew is wrong, or you forget!