• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice please rescued pair with eggs

TexasBeth

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi - long story but I have a pair of cockatiels male & female that came with a dirty 5 inch across open top basket of seven eggs. Several eggs are for sure not fertile from the color / shape. I’m taking to vets Monday that’s the soonest I could get them in. They aren’t sitting or turning the eggs. Ive had these birds in my home a week.
I have adult children & one of them had a case this client that was hoarding animals. Client was willing to give him the birds as he was headed to rehab - our little local shelter doesn’t do birds, hope that makes sense tmi. Client said these eggs were laid last month but ? The birds weren’t handled from what I understand but the male has taken to like me a bit and will come to the front of cage for Millet & attention.
We think they are two years old. I’d like to throw out the eggs and little wicker basket that’s just sitting at bottom of their new cage. Feeling like that is the best thing to do. I could use any advice please. I only know budgies. The cockatiels are mine now to keep or rehome. If I rehome them would it be ok to split them up? The cockatiels cage is in a back guest bedroom, they seem very happy otherwise & enjoying their new big clean home with toys. WWYD with the eggs?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
JMHO, toss them out. They are most likely rotten. I would separate them in 2cages that can be side by side. Getting them to avian vet is a great idea.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Thank you for helping these two birds. I would also get rid of the eggs and basket.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yea, agreed. She´s not sitting on the eggs - toss them, and the basket.

Why would you split them up though? If they are fighting, yes. If not, then no. If they look happy together, leave them together.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am sure these two birds have been under a great deal of stress and adding chicks to the picture for them to care for may be too much. Please feed them food and or supplement some calcium just in case. Thanks for the rescue.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If you rehome them, I would keep them together. They are likely bonded. Do they get along? (And welcome to the forum!)

TexasBeth

They don’t seem to really interact with each other. And I think it would be much easier for me in long run to get female to a new home and just keep the male. They were together in a 30 14 14 ish cage so maybe they are adjusting to having space? Financially I’m seeing vet bills related to female more then male and I’m a senior with arthritis so baby bird care would be difficult (doable but not ideal) do pairs of cockatiels bond where they would grieve each other ?

TexasBeth

Also I’m researching birth control for them does anyone have a suggestion I can ask the vet for? Is that really safe? I don’t want to stress her out more. I’ve been googleing a ton of info. Feeling maybe like it’s best to leave them as a pair and try to get them healthy as possible and people friendly. Then decide later long term plans. I don’t have anyone irl to ask about this. Thank you for all the thoughtful responses!!! Very helpful community here.

Last edited:

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Our avian vet gave Lucy a series of shots because she was laying several eggs every month. But as soon as we stopped the shots Lucy started laying again. I have a small incubator and keep each egg in there for 2 weeks then check to see if they are fertile (just in case).

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Bird birth control is simple. Destroy the egg as soon as it is laid (ie same day or day after). Don´t ever wait.
Dont give a M F pair of birds a nest or nook as that encourages laying.
If the hen starts laying a lot the vet can give her an injection.
Lots of people have a M F pair of birds and do not have chicks. Don´t feel bad about not letting them breed. They soon forget about their offspring after fledging.
When I open all the cages in the morning, Lapis and Nube go straight to their mums cage and sit at the door waiting for her, only to eventually be nipped at.

Maybe wait before splitting up the birds.
They have just come to you, plus the hen recently laid eggs. Give them a chance to adjust first :)

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can do things to try to prevent egg laying. Nothing that can be seen as a nesting box. Rearranging the cage regularly. Increasing hours of darkness when they're hormonal. And replacing the eggs with dummy eggs.