• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice please - Illigers or Caiques

Crimson_Falcon

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey there,

I was wondering if I could post here for a little bit of help in choosing my next feathered companion as I'm really torn! I had a Hahns macaw, who sadly recently passed away earlier this year as far as experience goes. I'm currently looking at getting either an Illigers Macaw or a pair of Caiques.

I'm hoping to do lots of trick training, Harness trained for walks/outings. flying/recall training (indoors/in a netted garden/aviary), but also hanging out cuddling on the sofa.

I'm drawn to caiques and their clownish nature. My hahns would play but nothing on the level of a caique which really draws me to them. I can't see just having one on its own though from what I've read that they do well in pairs, but im not sure if I can handle training two at the same time. Any advice here? Can you get two without them getting jealous from different levels of attention? Im wondering if they would still be interested in doing training if they distract each other? The other tricky part with Caiques is they don't accept new birds well and If I get more in the future i'm worried i'll have problems.

The other option is an illigers macaw, but would it be okay on it's own? I was considering a second bird before my Hahns passed away. But i do normally leave a tv/radio on when im out. I've been recommended to get just one bird if I want to do training/things I mentioned above. and maybe I get another bird later as macaws (as far as I know) tend to be more accepting of new flock members. I've not seen much footage of them rolling and playing though which I'd miss for not choosing caiques, but I have a complete soft spot for macaws and love their voices so it's also a solid choice! Any owner advice on playfulness here?

Thanks in advance for your help!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I like the mini macaws but know they are not a good fit for me. From friends with illigers, red belly and severes they seem to agree that they are a little neurotic, not heard that about yellow collar or blue head though. People with the latter seem to only have issues with noise.
While caiques are cute and clownish they can also be demanding since they are constantly on the go.
The main thing when considering either bird is that they both are going to need stimulus to keep from developing behavioral issues that both seem to be prone to. Not only in one on one and training but also lots of foraging and other mental stimulus.
If I had to pick I am more of a macaw person than a caique person because I am not into the constant energy.