1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice on training an oral bird

Discussion in 'The Training Court' started by fashionfobie, 2/7/19.

1. fashionfobie

fashionfobie Walking the driveway

Natalie
    Pi is a Plumhead Parrot, he is a very oral. He is learning about everything beak first. He is very curious about everything and he clearly enjoys exploring.

Recently he is learning about human feet and legs and hands and fingers and nails, all beak first. He is NOT showing any discomfort of defensive responses, he is just curious about the texture and such. He is a very sweet bird, so I am not going to do anything to break his warm spirit. So please don't give rude or harmful suggestions.

My hands are starting to get a bit sore from his curious nibbles.

I am handing him a foot toy when I pick him up to keep his beak busy, but how can I encourage him to stop pinching human skin so firmly.

I hope he might just grow out of it. His hatch date is 14-Oct-2018. Thank you for thoughts :)

2. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Suburb of Chicago.Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
    Sandra
    When he gives curious nibbles, try shaking your hand a little and saying something loudly, like "Ow" or "That hurts" and put him down.

Rain Bow likes this.
  3. Eloy

Eloy Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

J.T
    I think you are doing right. Don't make anything so he feels bad or get angry.
    As you say he is a sweet bird and probably don't know that he is hurting you.
    That is great. Encourage him to bite something else, so he understand that you doesn't enjoy to get those bites.
    You can teach him when you think he bites to hard too. I beak wrestling with my girls, and I have taught them how hard they can bite without hurting me. I just say "to hard" and stop playing. Some seconds I begin to play with them again. No punishment, no negative reinforcement. Just explain to them in a calm way.
    Bite to hard = No playing or interaction. That works! :)

lexalayne, Rain Bow and fashionfobie like this.
  4. fashionfobie

fashionfobie Walking the driveway

Natalie
    @Eloy Thank you for sharing your cute video. My goffin, Peanut, was able to beak wrestle in a very similar way to your Eliy.

Pi seems more beaky than other birds I have had. He is very good at decimating gum tree branches.

Look at his cute little expression, I can't get over him.
    IMG_5590.JPG

Peachfaced, Eloy, SandraK and 3 others like this.
  5. Kodigirl210

Kodigirl210 Jogging around the block

Pi does look like he is grinning in his tree.

Rain Bow likes this.
  6. Rain Bow

Rain Bow Sprinting down the street

Rain
    With Buddy, I did the Ow but just before he hurt meme w/ no. I figured this way he'd always do a little less than a real Ow. It worked. :yes4: Now if he nips to hurt, it's because he's really annoyed @ me. He meant it. Trick to that is don't annoy your fid.

:spinlol:

Eloy and SandraK like this.
  7. BlueDoraBarry

BlueDoraBarry Strolling the yard

Barry
    in the wild, they scream then ignore that companion for a while. I assume pi enjoys your company so that would be a suitable method.

Rain Bow, fashionfobie and SandraK like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)