• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice on making new adopted lovebirds feel safe?

MagicalFeather

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
They're not yet tamed, so I can't let them out of their cage. They're extremely afraid of my hand, but Mango is getting used to it. Neither of them knows how to step up yet.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
You may find that a wider cage can change everything.
I have a cage like your first one, Sydney lives in there (I hate it so much, it won´t make it to 2020). I did temp house my true pair in there but fights would break out. It was not a good fit.
If you can find a 30¨ wide cage, I really think it could help their relationship. Lovebirds are known for their bickering, but when there´s nowhere to go, fights will erupt - especially when there´s no out of cage time.
My cages are on a thread, I´ll go get the link so you can see how I have them now

edit: Pictures - Lovebird cage setup | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Last edited:

MagicalFeather

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
Ah, alright that seems like a good idea. Though I'm not sure if I'm allowed to even buy another cage (my mom wants me to save money for "something else").

Would things be alright, once tamed, out of cage time where they can interact with each other? I am currently interacting and/or giving them attention every day.

So far Mango has gently nibbled my hand and touched my finger with one foot (but not really stepping up). Melon is still a little skittish, she sometimes will and will not take millet from my hand.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Would things be alright, once tamed, out of cage time where they can interact with each other?
I´m not sure what you mean.

These birds are flighted aren´t they? They would probably be fine now out of the cage together - they were a pair all this time after all. You can easy monitor two birds out of their cages and break up any fights that may occur. Just block off any nooks before you let them out to avoid them getting into hard to reach places.
You could try allowing them some flight one day when you are home with no plans and have the time to spend.

MagicalFeather

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
They won't come out of the cage, is what I'm trying to say. Oop, sorry for not being clear. I'm just not sure about letting them out since they're not used to even being out of the cage it seems. And not used to me just yet, although they are starting too a little bit.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
If you leave their cage doors open, they can venture out if they want to, or not, or if they do come out, can easily get back if they want. I'd just choose a smaller room and make sure anything potentially accident inducing is out of the way. They may not want to come out, but eventually they will get curious. As for getting them back in, millet is a great lure, it's irresistible. At first, my lovebird only wanted to hang out on top of her cage, then she gradually got more curious. She was completely untamed, also. Like Zara said, if you have a day where you don't need to be anywhere, you can give it a try and see how it goes.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My linnies were somewhat cage bound at first, so I set it up that when their cage was open, they could just come out as far as they wanted. They came out for literally about 2 minutes the first few times. :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
To coax them out try mounting a perch to the exterior of the cage near the doorway, then hang a toy or a sprig of millet next to it ;)