• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent advice needed -- pulled down nest

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Thanks for the update @Sulphy Too! And happy news, too. :smileflower:

Sulphy Too

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I remember a long time ago just a couple of years after getting birdie I found and caught a domesticated cockatoo some cruel owner must have gotten tired of and just left in the wild to fend for himself . I knew he was domesticated because he always went into my birds cage and sat on his perch . My next door neighbour who was an experienced bird owner pulled back the birds feathers and the poor thing was just covered in little mights or bugs .There were scads of them . Taking on the task of having one cockatoo was enough for me especially when the new bird was constantly attacking mine . I ended giving the bird to my neighbour who treated him with a liquid you buy at the pet shop to kill the bugs .

Sulphy Too

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Just yesterday I found a small nest just like the starling nest but a lot smaller - probably 3 or 4 inches in diameter with 4 little white eggs in it about 1 centimeter long and 30 millimeters round at the widest part of the egg . @Shezbug what type of birds would hatch at this time of the year in the middle of summer ?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Just yesterday I found a small nest just like the starling nest but a lot smaller - probably 3 or 4 inches in diameter with 4 little white eggs in it about 1 centimeter long and 30 millimeters round at the widest part of the egg . @Shezbug what type of birds would hatch at this time of the year in the middle of summer ?
I am sorry but I really have no idea. I was only thinking just the other day that I don’t really know exactly when baby birds are hatched, I feel like I have been seeing them for so many months before, and also after the time frame that I thought they were meant to be hatching. I am now really confused about it but I do get confused very easily at times, putting events and timelines together seems to be something that I really suck at.
My best guess is that a lot of birds have been a bit off with breeding season, maybe due to weather or conditions but I really don’t know how that works so it is just a guess.

Sulphy Too

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
@Shezbug : You are not the only one who is confused . I think I must have pulled at least 10 empty nests out of the apple tree block but I always check to see if there are any birds or eggs in each nest before it gets pulled from the tree .this one was right at the very top where there was little to no shade . So how have you and Bert been doing ? I would love to have a macaw like yours but Id get a green winged macaw instead of a blue and gold ..Only problem would be my cockatoo would really hate not having all the attention . I used to leave him to be bird minded with a pet shop owner in Shepparton years ago before he went out of business . Mark said he absolutely hated all the other birds when mark fed them with him on his shoulder . I guess if I owned one I'd have to separatethe two birds or at least not have the sulphy see me pick up and give the macaw any attention . Other than that owning a macaw should be the same as owning any other bird but probably more expensive . How is Bert to keep?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Burt and I have been very well. Thanks for asking :)
I do love the GW macaws. They are such beautiful big birds. Having a cockatoo would make it a bit of a challenge as you would have to keep the birds very separated due to the cockatoo dust. The only reason I said I could take Barry the cockatoo is because he has always lived outside, so having him stay outside means no stress about Burt’s health when I do bring Barry home.
I have only really owned smaller birds in the past and I’m not really sure of the cost differences because it was a long time ago I kept birds. I make most of Burt’s toys myself and we eat a lot of the same foods that he needs so it is hard to know an exact cost for food for him, plus we grow a lot of our own foods, I never took my small birds to the vet (didn’t know I should :/) nor did I give them all the things they probably should have had (again didn’t know better, sorry birds).....that makes me sound bad, they did have lots of good things just not what I would now provide with the extra information I have learned about their needs.
Everything is bigger and stronger for a bigger bird and usually not as easy to find as things for the smaller birds so the costs can add up there.
Burt is a family member so I don’t really keep tabs on what I spend for all his needs each week, I just keep a certain amount aside for him for emergencies and such.
I would guess the expense could also depend on how you do things. If you buy everything instead of make what you can, everything will obviously cost much more.

Aside from all that Burt is a delight to keep and I treasure every interaction he has with me. He makes a mess and often gets roudy, he keeps me on my toes all the time because he is so cheeky and energetic, he constantly amazes me with little things he does or learns.

Last edited:

Sulphy Too

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
@Shezbug :Sounds like Bert is a real cool bird . I don't take my bird to the vet often unless he shows signs of not being well or his behaviour is out of the ordinary . I have taken birdie for checkups and they seem like a big waste of money . I don't spend much on toys because he is with me most of the day and around this time of year Ill cut off a branch with apples on it and put it in the ladder and let him chew the apples and the branch until hes finished then I just get another one . With the store bought toys I find he loves the looftah toys the best and can spend hours trying to destroy them and the best thing is they are cheap . I never knew that cockatoo dust could do damage to other birds' respiratory systems . I think my bird is spoilt rotten compared with Barry the cockatoo but if Barry is happy that's the main thing .Birdie gets put into a tree in the back yard after work just before I feed my flock of rosellas though a flock of galahs are making it hard for the smaller birds to get a feed .I bought the sunflower seeds in bulk to save money - a 50 kilo sack for $50 and it lasts 6 weeks The smaller birds fly around my bird keeping him on his toes and keeping his mind active . There must have been a flock of black cockatoos nesting nearby in a group of old gum trees about 100 meters from the house in the neighbours paddock . I saw a young baby black cocky just the other day making baby sounds with its parents close by .I really love the nature seeing the wombats and echidnas from time to time and should I really should go to Healsville Sanctuary again .Last time I was there was over 20 years ago and just last year sadly their wedge tailed eagle died aged 37 years old .