• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice for Tahlia?

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Tahlia, my bullmastiff, has had a small little mass growing on her foot for about a month, and she's going to be put under tomorrow to take it off and biopsy.
I really shouldn't be so nervous, but can't really help it since I automatically go to the worst possible scenario. :faint:

Anything I should know or be aware of?
I know to only give small meals for the first 24 hours, and to watch her closely for any complications with the bandage/stitches, meds etc.

Hoping that the thing is nothing, but since she's a mastiff and cancer is a big thing with them, I can't help but stress and worry. :(

Amanda6

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amanda
The Vet should go through everything with you of how surgery goes and what to expect in the coming days and how to care for the wound. They will also go over things that could happen that you should notify your vet about. Just keep the wound clean and follow vet's instructions and med instructions & you should be fine. Good luck!!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
And if they don't make something clear -- ASK!

I think we all stress like this. You're normal. :D

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I hope Tahlia will be ok and that it's nothing serious. Bitsy my dog had a biopsy on a small lump a while ago. Thankfully it wasn't anything serious .I can't remember the pre op instructions just that after the surgery he couldn't be active for 10 days. I think that was the hardest part for both of us. He really missed his doggy play dates. Anyway best of luck with Tahlia :heart: its so hard when things are out of your control and all you can do is wait and hope for the best. Sending positive thoughts your way :hug8:

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:hug8:
Lots of extra cuddles!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Thanks everyone! :)
I'll be sure to annoy my vet with many questions tomorrow. :hehe:

I hope Tahlia will be ok and that it's nothing serious. Bitsy my dog had a biopsy on a small lump a while ago. Thankfully it wasn't anything serious .I can't remember the pre op instructions just that after the surgery he couldn't be active for 10 days. I think that was the hardest part for both of us. He really missed his doggy play dates. Anyway best of luck with Tahlia :heart: its so hard when things are out of your control and all you can do is wait and hope for the best. Sending positive thoughts your way :hug8:
I'm glad Bitsy was alright!
Thankfully Tahlia isn't a huge athletic kinda pup, that'd be the bulldog and mastiff in her :D, but she enjoys her night walks so I'll be sure to ask the vet about that.
It really is so difficult, since you just want them to be okay. :( She's only 3 so if something were to come up I'd feel horrible.
:hug8:
Lots of extra cuddles!
That's for sure a given, Tahl will be looking to get rid of me by the end of this. :lol:
If she feels up to it and the vet approves, she'll actually be heading to our family's house for Thanksgiving on Thursday and I'm sure she'll be annoyed with all the lovings there as well.:hehe:

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
1. Take a deep breath
2. Hug her
3. Keep hugging her until she asks you to stop
4. Remember benign lumps are more common than cancerous ones

And I know it doesn't help but if she is especially empathetic, try not to worry. She will sense it and it might make her more stressed than she would otherwise be.
Older dogs are more prone to getting lumpy and the larger the dog the younger "old" happens. If she is mastiff huge I wouldn't be too surprised to see some benign lumps start to appear at three.

I hope and pray everything is okay, good luck!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
1. Take a deep breath
2. Hug her
3. Keep hugging her until she asks you to stop
4. Remember benign lumps are more common than cancerous ones

And I know it doesn't help but if she is especially empathetic, try not to worry. She will sense it and it might make her more stressed than she would otherwise be.
Older dogs are more prone to getting lumpy and the larger the dog the younger "old" happens. If she is mastiff huge I wouldn't be too surprised to see some benign lumps start to appear at three.

I hope and pray everything is okay, good luck!
Thank you! This actually made me much calmer. :hug8:

She just was dropped off, had to walk her back to the surgery room since she wouldn't follow the tech. I feel better now that I discussed things with the vet, and can't think of a better group of people to leave her with. :)

They'll call me later today when she's ready and will let me know if any restrictions to exercise etc. will be needed then.

She's a bullmastiff, so the breed is in the mastiff group. I guess at 3, it's not uncommon to get a lump here or there.

Here's one of my favorite pictures of my silly girl. :heart: IMG_2178.JPG

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Tahlia just came back! She did very well at the vets, they always compliment that she's so easy going and calm.
She's doing well, and can't do much exercise for a couple days. She has a couple stitches and will go in to get them out in two weeks.

The vet says that a biopsy isn't needed since it wasn't really a lump under the skin, more like little external wart or something but if I see anything like that again to let her know.

I'm just glad it's off and all is well, now the obstical is to get this lady to take her antibiotics twice a day for a week and not to drool on her bandage.:faint:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Excellent!!!

Now breathe;)