• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice for budgie's broken leg

Guntash

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ashleigh Schroder
Hi. Our budgie has a broken leg and it has a cast on it which the avian vet put on. We're giving pain meds and antibiotics too. I would love to hear how other people have helped their budgies heal with a broken leg. When did you have the cast taken off? Did the budgie need an anaesthetic to remove the cast and an xray? When was the bird able to put weight on their leg and perch? How did they manage the bird constantly biting the cast? Thank you.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

Lori:D

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zoe
Welcome to the avenue! I do not have budgies nor budgies with broken legs… curious to see what people say though!
P.S. goodluck :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Platform and rope perches will help. This is also the only time I would recommend dowel perches (the consistent diameters help them hop around).
Have a look around in here for ideas that may also help:

Guntash

Real Name
Ashleigh Schroder
Platform and rope perches will help. This is also the only time I would recommend dowel perches (the consistent diameters help them hop around).
Have a look around in here for ideas that may also help:
Thank you so much!

Guntash

Real Name
Ashleigh Schroder
Welcome to the avenue! I do not have budgies nor budgies with broken legs… curious to see what people say though!
P.S. goodluck :)
Thank you for making me feel welcome!

yusky

Hi my baby girl only has one leg because she was attacked by an animal.

When I treat her I just put her in a small cage with all the poles removed and pad it with a soft cloth or confetti. This will limit his movement and help the wound heal better.

And when my babegirl lost one lag, she likes to sleep on her stomach, so you need to prepare a platform not more poles to help him. Also causes some issues, her butt feathers get dirty with poo while she sleeps, so you need to wash his bum everyday (lol) I tried cutting her butt feathers short, that would work , but it seems not too good.

About biting casts, you can try cutting a small Elizabethan collar (like a neck drag, usually used for sick cats or dogs) with sponge or thick paper (tape the edges to prevent injury), this will prevent the budgie from biting itself. (Always observe the skin on his neck for injuries) I haven't used this method, but from the examples of other budgie moms in my budgie network group, it works.

I am a chinese budgie mom, so my english is not good, I hope you can understand.

There maybe other professional questions to ask your vet. Hope your baby gets well soon.

Last edited:

yusky

Hi my baby girl only has one leg because she was attacked by an animal.

When I treat her I just put her in a small cage with all the poles removed and pad it with a soft cloth or confetti. This will limit his movement and help the wound heal better.

And when my babegirl lost one lag, she likes to sleep on her stomach, so you need to prepare a platform not more poles to help him. Also causes some issues, her butt feathers get dirty with poo while she sleeps, so you need to wash his bum everyday (lol) I tried cutting her butt feathers short, that would work , but it seems not too good.

About biting casts, you can try cutting a small Elizabethan collar (like a neck drag, usually used for sick cats or dogs) with sponge or thick paper (tape the edges to prevent injury), this will prevent the budgie from biting itself. (Always observe the skin on his neck for injuries) I haven't used this method, but from the examples of other budgie moms in my budgie network group, it works.

I am a chinese budgie mom, so my english is not good, I hope you can understand.

There maybe other professional questions to ask your vet. Hope your baby gets well soon.
And you can use the rope perch(I don't know what you call it, just a deformable long cotton rope) replace the wood pole, you can change its shape so budgie can go everywhere without effort. my girl always jumps from left to right,so cute.

Guntash

Real Name
Ashleigh Schroder
And you can use the rope perch(I don't know what you call it, just a deformable long cotton rope) replace the wood pole, you can change its shape so budgie can go everywhere without effort. my girl always jumps from left to right,so cute.
Thank you so much for the helpful information. It looks like you care very much for your bird.