• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice for a hormonal male lovebird?

Neon !!

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello! I am quite new to this forum.

I have a little peach faced lovie who's about 2-3 years old now. Usually in the spring and autumn is when he starts getting more hormonal (more bite-y, angsty, etc), but recently when ever I put my hand near the cage to replace his food and water, he attempts to regurgitate on it :\ . I usually finish what I'm doing and back off for a little while as to not encourage it. I also make a rule for myself never to touch him on his belly or under his wings either.

Does anyone now how much out of cage time a single male lovebird should be getting when it's "twitterpated" season? I usually try to take him out for 2-4 hours daily.

Any advice helps! Thanks! ^^

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I might need this advice too. My male GCC is so hormonal right now. Poor guy is feeling crazy and irritable. I also don’t know exactly what to do to help him.
I look forward to reading people’s advice to you.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
You can allow as much out of cage time as you normally would. Just be sure to cover/fill in any nooks to reduce cavity seeking behaviour.

If he has a "special" toy or thing, be sure it is available for him all the time. My male, before he got a mate, would mate his boing whilst holding a certain toy, so those things were always available for him (and even after he shared a cage with a hen, I left the special items in there)